Light-O-Rama Forums

I am repulsive

ItsMeBobO

If I want to clear the crowd outside, all I have to do is walk out the front door!

For some weird reason people think they are staying too long or something else and I am going out to yell at them or something. Multiple times tonight, cars started their engines and zoomed off. My wife thinks they are happy smoking in private and don't want to talk to me. I have an interactive show and often ask people which song they would like to hear. One car told me they like their own music better and didnt want to change the station. lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• Orville

• Tim Fischer

• GaryM

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, it's WEIRD to sit in a parked car and stare at someone's house for minutes on end. When there is no one out there they feel better, but once you pop out they think (no matter how incorrectly) that they are being stalkers or peeping toms and will bail.

Conversely, compare that to the ones that will flip you off when they think you are trying to jockey around them for a better view, when all you want is to get into your own driveway and park the car :P

I know how you feel. I have a smaller croud but still with over 1000 residents I do have cars stop often. Every now and then I come out of my shell and just want to say thanks for stopping by and merry christmas. As soon as I get 3 feet out the door they leave. Well 50% of the time they do. The rest just ask how and why I do it. As Im a big kid at heart I ask them why they stop, and whatever reason they say, I repeat it back as its always the same. They enjoy the feeling of just the holiday lights.

Good I'm not the only one. I was starting to think something was wrong with me almost anytime i step out a car takes off. so i started avoiding going out the front door. Now why would someone think after making the front of our house an attraction that we wouldn't want people to stop?

Yep, just about every time I take the dog out, a car will pull away. At first I thought it was coincidence, but it happens way too often. Oh well, people are weird sometimes.

Used to happen to me all the time. We've been doing this long enough now that people don't usually scatter if I pop outside for something, although I'm sure it makes them wonder...

Well in a way I can't blame folks for bolting as soon as someone walks out the door, especially with all the bad stuff that's been going on lately. They might be afraid you just aren't coming out to talk to them, but do something worse, so they zoom off like a lightning bolt.

I try and sneak out a door that hopefully wouldn't be noticed and then walk along until I can creep out and act like I was just walking up the street and stopping to watch the display. Seems if they think it's one of the neighbors and not the person that did the display, they'll hang around and you can start up a conversation with them. So you may want to try that if it's at all possible.

Like said, people are weird.

They might be afraid you just aren't coming out to talk to them, but do something worse, so they zoom off like a lightning bolt.

Right, I spent hundreds of hours creating this elaborate lighting display - all so I could lure people outside of my home, and then go out there and shoot them.

How did they catch on?

Well in a way I can't blame folks for bolting as soon as someone walks out the door, especially with all the bad stuff that's been going on lately. They might be afraid you just aren't coming out to talk to them, but do something worse, so they zoom off like a lightning bolt.

I try and sneak out a door that hopefully wouldn't be noticed and then walk along until I can creep out and act like I was just walking up the street and stopping to watch the display. Seems if they think it's one of the neighbors and not the person that did the display, they'll hang around and you can start up a conversation with them. So you may want to try that if it's at all possible.

ROFLMAO.

In the same post:

I try and sneak out a door that hopefully wouldn't be noticed and then walk along until I can creep out

Yes, they definitely are.

Yep, just about every time I take the dog out, a car will pull away. At first I thought it was coincidence, but it happens way too often. Oh well, people are weird sometimes.

Amen Glad I only walk my dogs once a night during the show. Same thing here, people roll up there windows to seem to think you were walking up to them to mug them!

im glad this post was started i thought it was only me this being only my second year and i have more media coverage and more exposure i have found if i come outside with nothing in my hands more drive offs if my hands are full of candy canes less drive offs

Edited by t purser

Not to bad here in Madison, Florida. We have a fire pit at the drive way and we have the fire burning. They get out the cars and come set with us alot. It's a blast when they pull up and come over and chat with us. Last night car count was around 2000 so not to bad..One couple drove 160 miles to see it and they heard about it in Walmart 160 miles away.. LOL

Jeff

Most nights I go out to make sure the display is working properly by exiting my back door and walking around the side of the property and then hidding behind one of my pine trees (that is not lit) so as not to "frighten" the crowd.

Guest wbottomley

Right, I spent hundreds of hours creating this elaborate lighting display - all so I could lure people outside of my home, and then go out there and shoot them.

How did they catch on?

Touche!

It's funny. My wife and I have mentioned the same thing. Walk outside....croud clears.

So I one night last week went outside with my Santa hat on...5-6 cars outside. No one left! Plus a couple got out and thanked me.

Soooo. My Santa hat is near the front door. Try it.....works great!

Guest Don Gillespie

Up here in Canada we must be really good looking people, I am outside from 6 until 9 every night, the people love to ask me questions about our display, what I would recommend to those that are scaring away viewers is cosmetic surgery, with a few tucks and face lifts you could be as good looking as I am and feel confident about not scaring away more viewers, (Gary I am not sure this will work for you) LOL :P

I was outside last night as well and a lady jogged by and said how much she enjoyed the lights and even went back and got her friend to watch a few nights back. She went on and on about it...then I asked her if she watched them while listening to the music, and she said NO, she still needs to do that.

I thought that was weird.

I have actual PROOF that I am repulsive. Last night when 8 cars were out there, I went out and gave them all candy canes. By the time I got back to the stoop, only 2 cars were left. And by the time I opened the door only one car was left.... the fewest cars I had all night!

Are you sure you haven't made all your visitors paranoid by sneaking up on them? And don't you live in a senior citizens park or something? They are probably all fearing having a heart attack or something when you spook them.