Light-O-Rama Forums

Setup

Dave Mendez

Dave -

In my 8+ years in this hobby, I've never heard of anyone having problems with their music.  Compared to the cost of a single controller, you could buy legal music for your lights for probably a couple of decades.  99 cents for a legal copy of a song is a drop in the bucket compared to attorney costs.  And it assures that it won't be YOU if/when the recording industry decides to make an example of someone.

21 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

Music-wise... Who are "they"? In my last two years of lighting, I haven't been caught using music illegally. As long as you are using music you legally own (not music ripped from YouTube or torrented or anything) you shouldn't face any issues.

Actually, it is illegal to play music to an audience wherever the music comes from, without buying a special copy which includes licencing, or obtaining permission. 90% of music in my show comes from YouTube.

You don't legally own the music unless you are the artist or record company.

I was thinking of doing like a oldies songs show something like that. Should I continue with it? Or just call it a day and find something else to do?  Just getting opinions

thank you

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Dave -

In my 8+ years in this hobby, I've never heard of anyone having problems with their music.  Compared to the cost of a single controller, you could buy legal music for your lights for probably a couple of decades.  99 cents for a legal copy of a song is a drop in the bucket compared to attorney costs.  And it assures that it won't be YOU if/when the recording industry decides to make an example of someone.

Thanks for the info on that. very true just spend that extra cents for a song and say here I purchased it. ?

go for it. I would like to see what yu do with oldies and would like to have copies of it for my pool parties..

I'm honestly really curious as to what we can and cannot do audio-wise for our shows. Like in what ways can we be illegally using music in our displays? I guess the only way I can imagine is by illegally capturing audio and playing it?

My point is, what rules and regulations do we have when it comes to what we can and cannot play on the radio? For example, radio shows can play audio from YouTube I'm pretty sure. Can we?

If anyone can shed some light on this (pun intended.... I guess), that'd be nice.

I think the best answer is ... call a lawyer, not people on the forums.

This issue comes up every year. We haven't figured it out in 10+ years now, and we aren't going to figure it out this year. I suspect each case is different, and as such would require the use of a lawyer.

4 hours ago, Don said:

I think the best answer is ... call a lawyer, not people on the forums.

This issue comes up every year. We haven't figured it out in 10+ years now, and we aren't going to figure it out this year. I suspect each case is different, and as such would require the use of a lawyer.

Fair enough. BUT, I haven't gotten in trouble yet for using the iTunes-purchased audio. I guess I can check local laws governing this area's radio stations (companies) and see what they can play or what their rules are. And then check with local law enforcement about it as well. I would think that companies selling the equipment would tell us how we're protected or what we can and cannot do with the provided goods but that's just my opinion. I'll look into the guidelines.

I do know, for starters, that you cannot play on a frequency occupied by a radio station (company) already.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information The FCC has information regarding low-powered radio: http://prnt.sc/axnb36

This only is the USE of the radio. This does not include what is played on said radio.

Edited by lightingnewb
More information!

As long as you are not charging, or making a profit from using it, you really have nothing to worry about.  They only care when there is money being made that they don't get a piece of.  If you are not selling your sequences with the audio, and not charging to view/hear your show, you are fine. Although not a lawyer (my wife is), I do hold many copyrights, and a couple trademarks. There is no reason for paranoia on this.

That being said....KEEP IT CLEAN. If you are broadcasting music with curses, or offensive content, then the viewer could complain to the police, and the FCC could step in and ruin your day a bit. I have yet to see anyone doing this to the extent of being offensive, though.  Seems most keep it family friendly.

Edited by Dcroc

This is how I look at it... Rather than having my main system blaring, (which could be considered loud hash objectable noise)But I like to be able to listen to music in every room of the house and outside.So I got an FM whole house transmitter, and have mutiple radios on in the house. Just because my lights happen to flash to the same songs that I'm playing doesn't mean a thing...Or the fact that if someone outside would like to know why those lights flash in some kind of a sequence, I put out a sign that says what station I'm pumping my music through. B) 

dont worry about it...

How many people on the Christmas Light Fights that win the money are in court trying to keep it because there music was played on National TV in a Contest that they won big bucks for by using someone elses music that they didnt actually have the ownership of the copyrite etc. of.

If your paranoid about it then its time you got out of the Christmas Music and light show hobby.

20 minutes ago, Old Sarge said:

dont worry about it...

How many people on the Christmas Light Fights that win the money are in court trying to keep it because there music was played on National TV in a Contest that they won big bucks for by using someone elses music that they didnt actually have the ownership of the copyrite etc. of.

If your paranoid about it then its time you got out of the Christmas Music and light show hobby.

Not that it matters ... but ABC/The Production Company would have the license for it to be shown on national TV, not the home owners.

Broadcasting on FM without a licence is illegal here, and I could get in trouble for it.

Playing music to an audience is also illegal without a licence, and I am 70% sure it is in America, but you always see shops, restaurants, and people playing music where other can see it, and they don't get in trouble. This is nothing to worry about unless your display is attracting a lot of attention.

If there is someone who doesn't like you or your display, they could use this against you or could also report your low power FM radio station to the FCC. 

Radio stations pay the artist here or songwriter in America for every play. We should but ours have such a small range that it doesn't really matter.

I heard one person playing ads for their sponsors and charity on the radio station. I think this is a really bad idea.

Where you get the music from, it doesn't matter.

11 hours ago, Don said:

Not that it matters ... but ABC/The Production Company would have the license for it to be shown on national TV, not the home owners.

Yes.

I am surprised though that nobody has got in trouble after saying that they broadcast on FM on national TV, or maybe the FCC have a better taste in television.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

21 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Yes.

I am surprised though that nobody has got in trouble after saying that they broadcast on FM on national TV, or maybe the FCC have a better taste in television.

Why would they get in trouble?

You'll probably be fine with music you purchase for your show as long as you don't charge people to watch your show.If you start charging then you could run into serious trouble.  I've been doing this for a couple years with no problems.  The music I've purchased, but it doesn't legally give you the rights to rebroadcast it.  They just don't bother with us small potatoes as long as we keep it free and noone is complaining.

On 4/28/2016 at 10:01 AM, EmmienLightFan said:

Yes.

Here in the US there is a section of the FCC code that allows for small time radio use. It's why you see LOR able to sell the Whole House Transmitter on their site. 

Wow... this post is gaining a little more attention than I thought it would. Radio stations (companies) don't charge people to listen to their station... but irrelevant. Anywho...

1. Buy your music, don't pirate it.
  2. Don't charge people for listening.

Yeah I didn't think this was going to be a big convo. Thanks all for the pointers.  Wish me luck I hope I get all this music done and ready for Christmas.