Light-O-Rama Forums

Setup

Dave Mendez

Alright I been doing some research to understand how are lights been hooked up and how its programmed on the Software. I seen a few youtube videos that show that the person is programming and for example he turns on one channel and then goes down to lets say channel 8 and creates a V. I understand how that would work and how it shows, but how do you connect it to the controller? Do i need lets say a Christmas tree with lights that i want them to turn on from left to right. do I connect each strand to each controller outlet to create that effect? and lets say I want a window to display just 2 strands red and blue then I could use channel 1 and 2 to connect to that same channel that the Christmas light is connected too? I know it wont turn on at the same time unless i program it that way.

But I guess my question is if I get a 16 channel controller that means that every outlet the controller has could have splitters? everything  turning on and off base on the programming that I setup. I know that theres a rating limit as to how many lights could be connected.

Just trying to get a understanding on how everything works and gets hooked up to it.

My original idea was to just connect like a window to one channel, bush to another channel, then another window to another channel. and then roof to another channel etc.... but it seems that its to simple and it wont look good. lol

If someone could point me to the right direction. Preferably a video. I am more of a visual person. But tying is fine too.

Thank you so much. I hope this made sense.

Dave.

Alright I been doing some research to understand how are lights been hooked up and how its programmed on the Software. I seen a few youtube videos that show that the person is programming and for example he turns on one channel and then goes down to lets say channel 8 and creates a V. I understand how that would work and how it shows, but how do you connect it to the controller? Do i need lets say a Christmas tree with lights that i want them to turn on from left to right. do I connect each strand to each controller outlet to create that effect? and lets say I want a window to display just 2 strands red and blue then I could use channel 1 and 2 to connect to that same channel that the Christmas light is connected too? I know it wont turn on at the same time unless i program it that way.

But I guess my question is if I get a 16 channel controller that means that every outlet the controller has could have splitters? everything  turning on and off base on the programming that I setup. I know that theres a rating limit as to how many lights could be connected.

Just trying to get a understanding on how everything works and gets hooked up to it.

My original idea was to just connect like a window to one channel, bush to another channel, then another window to another channel. and then roof to another channel etc.... but it seems that its to simple and it wont look good. lol

If someone could point me to the right direction. Preferably a video. I am more of a visual person. But tying is fine too.

Thank you so much. I hope this made sense.

Dave.

Actually most people do use a window on one channel and bush on another and another window on another and so on. The more channels you use the more in depth the show. And the more props you have as well. If ur running short on channels you could always group things on the same channel. But I'm pretty sure almost everyone uses one channel per prop except for arches mega trees etc. those are channel eaters.

Basically Dave, each channel is a light.. .example you have 16 lights. one for each channel on the controller, when channel 1 is on light 1 is on, channel 2 is on light 2 is on etc. if you have say 16 channels in a V shape and say channel 1 is on the front left and channel 2 is on the front right, 3 next on the left, 4 next on the right etc... you can turn on 1&2 and lights 1 and 2 will be on... turn on 3 & 4 and lights connected to that will be on.. if you leave channel 1 and 2 on then you will have first 4 lights on two on each side of the V etc.

If you have 2 strands of lights connected to 1 channel both sets of those lights will be on at the same time..  anytime the lights are connected together to the same channel those lights are on when that channel is on.. think of each channel as a light switch its on or off... and you can set it for how long to stay on how bright etc.

• Like 2

Continuing with Old Sarge's explanation, each channel in the software controls one of the cords hanging out of the controller box. So whatever is plugged into that female cord is what will be controlled. (Disclaimer - up to the channel and controller limits and not with Martha Stewart Flamers - another story...)

There are many good tutorials on this site.

Additionally, looking at suggested layouts may help to visualize it better for you.

http://www1.lightorama.com/4-x-4-decorating/

http://www.wowlights.com/support/ChristmasSequenceLayout.asp

Good luck...

• Like 1

Thank you so much on the information it helped a lot and now I have a better understanding. Sounds like. 16 channel would be great for me and probably have a couple of channels left after that unless I decide to add another decor there.  Also that wow website did really help with the visualization of now everything is connected. I'll give it a try this year and maybe add another controller next year for something else. My house isn't that big and my front yard either.  So I am kinda limited on how much I can add probably a 32 channel would be the most I could have unless the neighbor allows me to add them to his house lol. Now to convince the wife to allow me to start my new addiction. Lol 

thank you everyone for the help on this. 

Dave. 

On April 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM, razrbkchristmas said:

That V shape could be a line of mini trees 1 channel per tree and effect would be a chase across and back

So the software does the chasing too? Or do the lights have to have that feature in order for it to work? 

thank you 

the soft ware does the chasing but you have to tell the channel when to come on and when to go off... kinda like 1 on 2 on  1 off as three comes on, two off as 4 comes on etc. 

look at the channels on a simple 16 channel layout or just a section of a lay out to get the idea... normally channel 1 will be at the top and 2 below it etc. Dont get overwhelmed when you open a sequence and see like 120 or more channels.. just go slow and look at a few at a time and see what they do and when they do it.

as for as something being in a V shape etc. that just depends on how you set your display up and what you are using.. the V could be mini trees, wire frame deer, just rows of lights etc. It could be anything set in a V shape. You could even set something as simple as say for example the keys on a piano with lights laying on your yard, in bushes, trees, on your house etc. example could be like a round Christmas tree with lights going all the way over one side and down the other.. 8 channels could do that and look like it rotate with lights coming on and off going around it.... but in reality they are going channel 1 on, 2 on 1 off, three on 2 off, etc... 

I would also recommend you find a simple 16 channel seq with the animation and better yet the visualiser file with it and look at that along with the seq to see what happens to what and when. There are some very well done tutorials about it and you will find a lot in you tube.

here are a few to get you started.. Dont get frustrated.. you will get the hang of it and when you do you will say.... WOWWWWWWW what took me so long to get it.. Listentoourlights is very good.... same with Light O Rama videos, There are a lot and Mege Arch and Bob will give you a lot of great advice.... listen to them to.. 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lor+tutorial+youtube&qpvt=LOR+TUTORIAL+you+tube&FORM=VDRE

• Like 1

On 4/18/2016 at 3:46 AM, Dave Mendez said:

So the software does the chasing too? Or do the lights have to have that feature in order for it to work? 

thank you 

The bulbs on the light strings will not chase. You can chase the channels though.

For example,

Channel 1 on, Channel 2 off

Channel 1 off, Channel 2 on

Channel 1 on, Channel 2 off

Channel 1 off, Channel 2 on

That would turn one string of lights on, then the other off.

Don't just string lights up and plug them into channels. This makes it hard to create a show that people want to keep on watching. You will find it hard to make sequences that tell the story of a song, with sporadically placed light strings flashing on and off.

Create props, like arches or a tree, which have several segments each on their own channel. This allows you to say, create a leaping effect, or a bouncing up and down effect.

If you want, put two sets of lights on the edge of your house. Then you can swap between them for a colour changing effect.

To save on channels, you can link several props with splitters, extension cords and the female plugs on lights (Your so lucky to have these. Lights here don't have them and run on low voltage).

You will seen be ordering your second controller, or more likely, your second, third, fourth and fifth.

I been checking out those videos on youtube especially the one posted here and i am getting a better understanding on how everything works.

Thank you for the help.

Well I have made the purchase and bought the starter pack with advance license.  I am extremely excited.  Now time to get to work. 

Thank you all for the help. I am sure I'll be back soon asking other questions. 

Dave. 

5 hours ago, Dave Mendez said:

Well I have made the purchase and bought the starter pack with advance license.  I am extremely excited.  Now time to get to work. 

Thank you all for the help. I am sure I'll be back soon asking other questions. 

Dave. 

Awesome!

Good luck and keep this forum in mind when you get stuck or, just want to bounce ideas. 

https://sites.google.com/site/lightmaestros/home/how-it-works

Or 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1suZf8Hi8KWiMbzMVGkg5ELROSDsaRkbazTKLUK5Ut3I/edit

I might be giving you my website (:P) but the doc/slide show is a good way to also describe how the lighting works. I don't specifically have any mention of chasing, but it depends on what kind of lights you are using. Using non-RGB lights versus RGB lights makes a difference in how I describe the process. In non-RGB lights, the chase is just lighting up one channel right after the other, progressing through a song. RGBs could do the same thing too.

12 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

https://sites.google.com/site/lightmaestros/home/how-it-works

Or 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1suZf8Hi8KWiMbzMVGkg5ELROSDsaRkbazTKLUK5Ut3I/edit

I might be giving you my website (:P) but the doc/slide show is a good way to also describe how the lighting works. I don't specifically have any mention of chasing, but it depends on what kind of lights you are using. Using non-RGB lights versus RGB lights makes a difference in how I describe the process. In non-RGB lights, the chase is just lighting up one channel right after the other, progressing through a song. RGBs could do the same thing too.

That is a really good slideshow for new people. Well done, LightingNewb. I think you need a new forum name now.

4 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

That is a really good slideshow for new people. Well done, LightingNewb. I think you need a new forum name now.

Emmien, thank you SOOOOO much! I am glad that it's a good resource. I appreciate your compliments. Maybe I will change my name... lol. I'll probably edit the slideshow and possibly turn it into a video that shows what happens in the editor and what is really seen in the display.

Nice job on that. Extremely informative. Thanks

Question. I should of asked about this earlier. About the Music Cant they get you for copyright? Or how would that work in this case?

Thank you.

Dave.

40 minutes ago, Dave Mendez said:

Nice job on that. Extremely informative. Thanks

Question. I should of asked about this earlier. About the Music Cant they get you for copyright? Or how would that work in this case?

Thank you.

Dave.

Music-wise... Who are "they"? In my last two years of lighting, I haven't been caught using music illegally. As long as you are using music you legally own (not music ripped from YouTube or torrented or anything) you shouldn't face any issues.

How about using music that you purchased years ago.... how many keep receipts for everything especially when its on disappearing ink?

IE: is there a law/rule/regulation that says  I cannot use music I have on a record.... even from when I was a kid... after all it is a legally purchased record, or cassette etc. not every ones uses music from buying it on line because right after the holidays you can get a lot on sale.... and how many really have the receipts from every cassette, record, or disc that you purchased over the years?

And if so.... how about them bringing charges against the retailers that sale things using ink that disappears after the first three weeks of printing it?

Edited by Old Sarge

I meant to say they as the record companies and singers and their representives. 

Well either way it would be fun programming songs and until I am told otherwise not to do it then I'll continue until then. 

Thanks for all the information very helpful

Dave.