Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Request - ALARM

Richard Hamilton

If I remember correctly, last time this idea came up, it was mentioned that the unused pins were NOT looped on some of the versions of the controller. In the case of those controllers, you would need to provide a loop for those pins between the 2 RJ-45 jacks. I was thinking of accomplishing this by just extending the jacks from the board to a dual RJ45 wallmount jack box and looping the connections there. If that is all looped, then you can pull the wires out just before they get to the computer inside...those wires will run to my house alarm system as a spare input there that is set for 24/7 alarm. I'll install a switch to short out the wires at the alarm panel for if I'm going to unplug controllers outside. The alarm system already sends me emails using HomeSeer. I have a DIY alarm from (GE NX-8). They make a serial interface card that is supported in HomeSeer. HomeSeer then has a plugin for the NX-8 panels that allows you to monitor and control the panel. HomeSeer then generates the email to tell me the alarm went off. As long as my phone line is not cut, the email goes out the DSL and hits my cell phone.

Just another idea...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MaxsLightsOwner

• Duke

• lowinhz

• Richard Hamilton

I would like to see some time of alarm built into the software where it would monitor all the time. We have to keep our machines on all the time so why not let the software monitor it and activate all the lights, alarms, send text messages to cell phones numbers. fire off automatic weapons, explosives. Ok the last few are out of hand but it would be funny.

Actually that brings up a good point - since the most recent version implemented the ability to run a Windows command - you can actually fire off an email from the alarm sequence. There are command line programs out there that will send an email. That may be better than what I was thinking about doing!

Agreed. I would think that it would be easier for all concerned to simply have the software itself monitor the hardware. Almost all of my controllers are in the yard and it really worries me of the potential loss because they aren't protected.

tomskillman wrote:

If I remember correctly, last time this idea came up, it was mentioned that the unused pins were NOT looped on some of the versions of the controller.

The USB-RS485 with booster that I bought in 2007 did not have the unused pins looped through (until I fixed it with some small wires and a soldering iron :)).
That's probably not a concern for this alarm project as the alarm signal pins only need to reach to the nearest secure controller.

A couple of things:

The next release of LOR software (will be out in March) has the ability to select NC or NO for inputs on a per-input basis.

Later this year there will be a "Controller is missing" alarm capability.

Dan

Here we go again.....

All you need is:

A terminator for the LAST controller in the chain of your display.

This will short the unused pins only of the RJ45 to complete the circuit and make it a normally closed loop. These wires will get "split out" and not even go to the USB-RS485 adaptor at all but instead be used to make your alarm circuit. I'm using a MAC right now and the tech info is on my PC. Sorry. Dan or others can chime in with the info as well. It's not new.

(1) NC HO relay ($8) (N-ormally C-losed H-eld O-pen)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2501525

A 12 volt 125db siren ($20) Very LOUD!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2501515

A 12 volt power supply. ($40)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3366426

So for $70 or less you can have a dedicated LOR alarm system that will not require the controllers to have power on them for it to work. You will be using the unused wires in the RJ45 and LOR controller along with a terminator and 12 VDC supply to create a normally closed circuit which will energize the coil of the relay and hold open the contacts that are used to go to the siren and same power supply. Any break in the circuit to the coil will cause the contacts to close and complete the circuit for the siren if any would be thieves/vandals decide to try and walk off with any controllers or disconnect any lines. You could also add a 12 volt strobe in the circuit to draw more attention to your house. (http://alpinealarms.com/sitemap/AmsecoSL40112VoltStrobeLight..html) $27

Oh yeah..... make sure you unplug the power supply (or add a switch in your house) if you go to work on your controllers and unplug your comm lines or all your neighbors might be watching you run to your house while covering your ears to disarm the system because you forgot. :D

Dag nabbit Jeff! Figures you'd be out there in the wings! LOL!
Don't you need to have power on your controllers for your method to work?
And what's that terminal strip thingy ya got there going on the pin header of the controller? I don't have that on mine. How much was the DIO, hockey puck SSR and 4 500 watt halogens?

Looks like I'm stuck with the "No power" method since I turn all my controllers off. When I remote mounted my LED's they made nice "Homing Beacons" flashing away with power on. So in order not to attract attention to them, I power them down which would then make them vulnerable to theft.

OK, I think I get it now. It sounds like a programmable set of contacts that remember their state even if powered off? If that's the case then yeah, I'll go for it.

In regards to your dialing solution, I've seen "auto dialer" devices that are available for alarm systems. You program them with a number to call and message to give and they attach to your phone line. When the alarm is tripped it dials the preprogrammed number. Pretty simple really. I used to have one on a previous home I owned. Google for them because there are a lot of different choices and prices nowadays.

• 4 months later...

Hi all

The controller alarm sounds like a good idea.

Just a word of caution. If your alarm is activated, PLEASE don't try to foil the crime yourself, they could have guns, knives, who knows what could happen.... The point is that - you don't know who you are dealing with or what they are capable of doing. Is a controller worth a trip to the hospital or the morgue? Be safe, CALL THE POLICE.

It sounds to me like a good idea to turn on bright lights and try to draw attention to the thieves. They will most likely leave quickly if this happens.

Jerry

Jerry,

I do agree with you, but my first question is....
If a person is so inclined to try to steal a piece of my control equipment, why would they have guns. Its nothing against what you're saying, its just that most thieves of light shows are younger people. (I.E. teenagers)

LORisAwesome wrote:

Just a word of caution. If your alarm is activated, PLEASE don't try to foil the crime yourself, they could have guns, knives, who knows what could happen.... The point is that - you don't know who you are dealing with or what they are capable of doing. Is a controller worth a trip to the hospital or the morgue? Be safe, CALL THE POLICE.

It sounds to me like a good idea to turn on bright lights and try to draw attention to the thieves. They will most likely leave quickly if this happens.

Jerry

I wonder what the response time for such a call to the police would be... If you wish to rely on the police, then your best bet is to have a good video record of the crime. Lights and noise would be good to scare away the 'perps', perhaps keeping the scope of this particular instance of crime to a minimum.

Should you rely on the police? Up to you, but realize that once a crime has started, the chances that the police can prevent its completion are almost nil (unless officers just happen to be right there). In almost every case of this type all police can do is attempt to track down the culprit(s), and this crime would probably be near the bottom of their list.

Should you attempt to interrupt the crime yourself? Again, up to you, but as mentioned, there are risks involved. Unless you have some training, the odds are that the criminals are better at crime than you are at stopping it. And of course, it is possible that criminals might be armed (again as mentioned, less likely for this crime than some others). But here is a little known secret - victims can be armed too (at least, in some places). Of course, if you are not very familar with the weapon and the local laws in regards to its use, you could be worse off attempting to use the weapon.

In other words, not a decision you want to make when it happens.