Light-O-Rama Forums

outdoor speakers

JRF

Since we are talking about speakers, any ideas regarding a cheap or at least reasonably priced amplifier?  

I bought a JBL Surround System plus amp at garage sale for $40 last year...

I'm brand new to using LOR for my lights.  I have an FM transmitter, which works fine, but I don't know understand how I would get the music from my laptop, through my FM transmitter, to an amp that might be 100' away, with the speaker(s) connected. 

Missing the obvious, I know.  :-)

Thanks.

Ed 

Yeah that leads me to another question, similar to Ed K's.....Is it best to use an FM transmitter and just tune a stereo system outside to the FM freq with the volume cranked up? Or is it best to run the music from your computer or laptop via a cable to speakers outside?

thanks

Yeah that leads me to another question, similar to Ed K's.....Is it best to use an FM transmitter and just tune a stereo system outside to the FM freq with the volume cranked up? Or is it best to run the music from your computer or laptop via a cable to speakers outside?

thanks

I have done both..I find tuning the amp to your frequency works best...at least for me.

It also depends if you want people to hear the music in their cars too...

Edited by jimswinder

I'm brand new to using LOR for my lights.  I have an FM transmitter, which works fine, but I don't know understand how I would get the music from my laptop, through my FM transmitter, to an amp that might be 100' away, with the speaker(s) connected.

You can buy RCA "Y" cables..essentially one connection into your computer headphone jack (male) but "y"'s out to two female pigtails so you can hook up more than one device (Transmitter, and amp)

Edited by jimswinder

Missing the obvious, I know.  :-)

Let me explain what I do.  In my case, my sound system is a permanent installation.  The output from the computer is sent to a sound mixer.  There are two outputs from the mixer.  One goes through about 110 feet of cables to my amplifiers.  The second output from the mixer goes through about 150 feet of cables to the transmitter in the front yard.

The cables are shielded twisted pair audio cables.  The outputs from the mixer are balanced outputs and since the inputs to both the amps and FM transmitter are unbalanced inputs, I have isolation transformers to convert from the balanced cables to the unbalanced inputs.

Ahh, I get it.  Just an old amp, with a speaker or two, which is tuned directly to the station being broadcast. Technically, the music coming to the speaker should then be exactly what people in their cars hear.

Thanks.

Ed

I am using and all in one outdoor speaker/amp combo (PA quality) sold by WowLights, really loud and very clear.  I run from the audio out on my show laptop to a splitter for my FM transmitter and speaker/amp.

In my case, computer audio output to fm transmitter right there next to the computer with the transmitter antenna in the window. Out in the garage is a receiver with my rock speakers tied to it in the bushes. Receiver dialed to the frequency and yes, audio to the yard is identical to what's heard in cars. This year, I'm automating the front yard audio. I already have a timer on the transmitter which is fine. The receiver however, loses the frequency if the power is lost therefore a normal power timer won't work. I looked online and found a discontinued RF remote by Sony which has timer functions built in. Programmed it so that now it'll automatically signal the receiver to turn on at the correct time, therefore power is never lost, therefore the frequency is never lost.

caniac and degrant, thanks for the ideas.  I like the insight on how to get the receiver to turn on at correct time.

Ed

• 9 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 10:50 AM, caniac said:

I am using and all in one outdoor speaker/amp combo (PA quality) sold by WowLights, really loud and very clear.  I run from the audio out on my show laptop to a splitter for my FM transmitter and speaker/amp.

Chet,

Really tired of my speakers. Said was "outdoor", then after opening, found out "move inside when inclement weather.." Also they don't remember their volume settings & I have to reset EVERY NIGHT.. I use the miniDirector, so I need the mp3 input.

1. Is this the one you have?
  2. Are you happy with it?
  3. Does it remember the volume setting when you turn it off / on?

http://yorkville.com/installation/coliseum_mini/product/c120p/

Thanks,

Daniel

1 minute ago, Mega Arch said:

I use the miniDirector, so I need the mp3 input.

You can use any speakers, just takes an adapter usually. There is no such thing as an MP3 audio input. MP3 is a digital file type.

15 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

You can use any speakers, just takes an adapter usually. There is no such thing as an MP3 audio input. MP3 is a digital file type.

What kind of adapter? My understanding - which is limited for sure - is that with most speakers, you have to use a receiver or amp of some sort. Their specs say:

The Yorkville Coliseum C120P is an outdoor powered speaker that can be connected directly to the audio output on your computer or MP3 Director. No separate stereo receiver/amplifier is needed.

That's why I think I want to try this powered one. I just want to split the minidirector's mp3 player output to my FM transmitter and a speaker (or two). Everything is mounted outside on a show timer - so the show comes on whether I'm home or not. Been great for many years - just tired of the turning speakers on/off everyday.  Plus, with them mounted over my front door - well, not everyone inside wants to hear the show 5 hours a night like I do. :lol: With an actual outdoor powered speaker - plan to move to the outside garage wall.

Edited by Mega Arch

The director is outputting plain old analog audio.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

On 11/5/2015 at 8:28 PM, Mega Arch said:

That's why I made the show board and mount it over the front door. It's weather protected (& drives my wife crazy...).    <snipped>

showboard_zps9d80ce80.png

Are you planning on driving your wife crazy again this season? 

1 minute ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Are you planning on driving your wife crazy again this season? 

She was crazy that I mounted it over the front entry of our brand new home.. Told her tough - it's for the kids. Now thinking of moving away from the house - mainly because that sound drives her crazy too. So two crazies into the same woman, what comes out... - well - I need to move it...

23 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The director is outputting plain old analog audio.

So how do I get this analog sound to a non-powered speaker - like these speakers?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pyle-pylepro-2-way-120-w-indoor-outdoor-speaker-pack-of-2/3419087.p?id=1218401496951&skuId=3419087

Edited by Mega Arch

45 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Chet,

Really tired of my speakers. Said was "outdoor", then after opening, found out "move inside when inclement weather.." Also they don't remember their volume settings & I have to reset EVERY NIGHT.. I use the miniDirector, so I need the mp3 input.

1. Is this the one you have?
  2. Are you happy with it?
  3. Does it remember the volume setting when you turn it off / on?

http://yorkville.com/installation/coliseum_mini/product/c120p/

Thanks,

Daniel

1. yes

2. Extremely

3. mine has knobs on the back so it stays at whatever it was set at.  I think the inclement weather comments pertains to blizzards, monsoons, and college students.  Mine stays out from mid October to January 1st.  takes a licking and keeps on ticking.  it is really loud though, only run it on 1/3 volume.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

What kind of adapter? My understanding - which is limited for sure - is that with most speakers, you have to use a receiver or amp of some sort. Their specs say:

The Yorkville Coliseum C120P is an outdoor powered speaker that can be connected directly to the audio output on your computer or MP3 Director. No separate stereo receiver/amplifier is needed.

That's why I think I want to try this powered one. I just want to split the minidirector's mp3 player output to my FM transmitter and a speaker (or two). Everything is mounted outside on a show timer - so the show comes on whether I'm home or not. Been great for many years - just tired of the turning speakers on/off everyday.  Plus, with them mounted over my front door - well, not everyone inside wants to hear the show 5 hours a night like I do. :lol: With an actual outdoor powered speaker - plan to move to the outside garage wall.

see my comments above.

Those Pyle speakers need an amplifier. Those are "passive" speakers.

You can get loads of outdoor powered speakers. If you want to connect a line level analogue audio input directly to the speakers (Output of an MP3 director), you need a "powered" or "active" speaker. These are speakers with an internal amplifier. Some come in pairs and one side contains an amplifier and the other side is passive.