Light-O-Rama Forums

outdoor speakers

JRF

2 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

I have a splitter cable hooked from the audio output of my LOR G3-MP3.

One side goes to FM transmitter and the other to my audio amplifier (speakers hooked to this).

Do I relocate the amplifier further away using a longer 3.5mm headphone cable?

Thanks

I would check to see if your cable is shielded first.  If it isn't then I would go to Monoprice.com and order one, you would have it in a day or two.  If the cable checks out I would play with the G3 volume, crank it down a tad as well as the transmitter to see if that clears it up.  Generally the louder you go volume wise and output wise the more noise creeps in.

As many people here know, I have worked as a broadcast engineer where audio quality is one of the highest technical priorities.  TheDucks was pretty much right on the money.  Solution to your problem is likely in using a balanced audio connection.  I am more than happy to get you on the phone and discuss it with you.  If interested, PM me a phone number.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are into this "hobby" on a serious basis and plan on doing this year after year, I think this should probably be one you should consider:

https://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-Outdoor-Ground-Omnidirectional/dp/B0007RSZX0/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1507749639&sr=8-31&keywords=Outdoor+speakers

TIC GS-3 8" Outdoor In-Ground Omnidirectional Speaker

Regards

1 hour ago, 8Track said:

For those who are into this "hobby" on a serious basis and plan on doing this year after year, I think this should probably be one you should consider:

https://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-Outdoor-Ground-Omnidirectional/dp/B0007RSZX0/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1507749639&sr=8-31&keywords=Outdoor+speakers

+1  That is the speakers I have in my front yard.  I have four of them.  Each is driven by one channel of a 75 watt per channel stereo amplifier (two amps, so four outputs).  The speakers have a cable that can be direct buried.  I have that run into a PVC electrical box a foot or two away where the direct buried cable connects to traditional 14 AWG THHN that is in conduit back to the amps.

Tree_ring_strip.jpg

It's a little hard to see in the photo, but there are five conduits out of the bottom of the 4x4x4 box.  Several of them just stub into the ground about a foot.  One of those has the direct buried cable to the speaker.  Another one of the conduits goes to a box on my house and then another conduit to the two stereo amplifiers in my bedroom closet.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

+1  That is the speakers I have in my front yard.  I have four of them.  Each is driven by one channel of a 75 watt per channel stereo amplifier (two amps, so four outputs).  The speakers have a cable that can be direct buried.  I have that run into a PVC electrical box a foot or two away where the direct buried cable connects to traditional 14 AWG THHN that is in conduit back to the amps.

Tree_ring_strip.jpg

It's a little hard to see in the photo, but there are five conduits out of the bottom of the 4x4x4 box.  Several of them just stub into the ground about a foot.  One of those has the direct buried cable to the speaker.  Another one of the conduits goes to a box on my house and then another conduit to the two stereo amplifiers in my bedroom closet.

you think like I do!! our home back east I had four four-outlet boxes put on the outside of the house plus ethernet and audio connections that all ran back to my family room where the show computer was.  each outside outlet has it's own breaker (increased the size of the breaker panel).