Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting CTB16PC from 30A to 15A

eurbani

Just checking to make sure that I am doing this correctly:

1) Jump the neutrals from one side to the other.  (Seems straight forward.)

2) Jump the hot from Jumper to Jumper.  (Just making sure it is NOT from jumper to input).

3) No need to jump the grounds as the strain relief will transfer the ground from side to side.  (Right?)

Actually, the ground wires are pretty much dunsels when they're attached to a plastic enclosure.

Edited by George Simmons

Actually, the ground wires are pretty much dunsels when they're attached to a plastic enclosure.

Is that a Star Trek reference? 

Actually, the ground wires are pretty much dunsels when they're attached to a plastic enclosure.

But they do bring the ground from the input "dandles" to the output "dangles".

I guess my question is: does the strain relief do that?

And now that I think about it, it is kind of ridiculous since none of my lights have the need for grounded outlets.

Actually, the ground wires are pretty much dunsels when they're attached to a plastic enclosure.

But they do bring the ground from the input "dandles" to the output "dangles".

I guess my question is: does the strain relief do that?

And now that I think about it, it is kind of ridiculous since none of my lights have the need for grounded outlets.

So the hot goes from "jumper" to "jumper"? I figured it would be better to go from jumper to input so it would use the fuse on that side as well.

So the hot goes from "jumper" to "jumper"? I figured it would be better to go from jumper to input so it would use the fuse on that side as well.

I thought about that, but I wonder if two fuses in series reduces or increases the protection.

Unless the fuses are in parallel there is no significant advantage or disadvantage to having two fuses in series.  In 'theory' they should both blow at the same time.

However, in an ideal world two fuses in theory would compensate for one fuse being slow to blow when it should blow, and vice versa.

You need to install it in a metal cabinet. It dissipates the heat. If you run 30 amps in plastic, it will get too hot, IMO.

But all ctb16pc are in plastic and rated at 30amp

I'm confused. Why in the world are you wanting to downsize a controller?

Doing this hobby since 2005 and this is the first.

I'm confused. Why in the world are you wanting to downsize a controller?

Doing this hobby since 2005 and this is the first.

Lower electrical needs on the controller, and don't want to deal with the extra cord. (Just a guess.)

Mike,

I use those triple taps on all my controllers anyways. Saves on outlet strips when you have 6 controllers to plug in.

Maybe the OP will give us a clue as to why he's trying to reverse amps/power because I'm sure not seeing it.

I converted all my controllers to single input because im all led and wont be anywhere near 30 amps. So now instead of having to have 10 outlets in the front yard I only need 5.

I converted all my controllers to single input because im all led and wont be anywhere near 30 amps. So now instead of having to have 10 outlets in the front yard I only need 5.

I've done it to all my controllers that are for arches, candy canes, and snowflake trails. No need to have them double corded and imho, me being me it was just better to convert them.

• Like 1