Light-O-Rama Forums

Labeling cords

Dale

For the LOR plugs, I use a silver sharpie. The controller is marked with a black sharpie. $3 a piece. It doesn't wear off, but will come off easily enough with a scratch pad.

Used the label maker for the extension cords. They're labeled per prop, so I know exactly where they go.

I wouldn't use a scratch pad, then you're going to scratch the controller box or the cords!

If I need to redo something if I made a mistake, believe it or not, a simple large pink pencil eraser WILL erase the Silver or Black Sharpie markings off the controller or cords. Takes a bit of doing{rubbing hard} and you may go through a few of them doing it this way, but NO DAMAGE to the controller box or cords.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dale

• Tim Fischer

• Orville

• Dale W

Silver Sharpie - Cheap and last forever!

Yep, that is for certain. Marked my controller dangles 3 years ago and haven't had to redo or touch them up at all in those 3 years! No fading, no missing parts of numbers, every one is still as it was the day I marked them. And to be honest, I thought I'd probably have to redo them at least once, maybe twice a year out in weather and sun. But here it is 3 years later and still as clean and clear as the very first day marked!

Best, and probably the CHEAPEST {and least time consuming} aspect of this hobby! :D

Edited by Orville

The labeling machine actually works well if you print two of each number on the label with about an inch and a half in between, then wrap the label around the cord and stick the label to itself. Makes it clear and easy to see when everything is plugged in, and has lasted over 5 years now.

I see all these suggestions, but what does Light -O-Rama used ? I've had my controllers for 4 years now, and the are all still on the cables.. Does LOR sell the labels that are on the controllers ?

Edited by Larry Leonhardt

• 3 weeks later...

White-Out in a Pen works great, and lasts a long time!

bicwosqpp418_1_1.jpg

Another thing that I got (not sure whats its called got it at garage sale) is a plastic embedder!

There are little metal tiles that you add to a little device, spell out what you need, (kinda like a stamp) and you heat it up, touch it to some plastic it melts in the letters/ numbers BOOM permanently labeled I fill the inside with white out to see it better and I have 6 year old strings that are labeled perfectly. My "friend" borrowed it I need to go get it back now that i mention it... :ph34r:

Edited by Arteom

I use TESTORS Modelpaint and a smallbrush,label each end of the cord,many different colors to chose from. so marking on different colored extension cords is not a problem,it will last for years,even in the harshest of conditions.clean up is easy with acetone or paint thinner.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed everyone is using labels or markers to mark their plugs. I take an old soldering iron and burn the channel numbers into each plug housing. Nothing to wear or fall off. However, they are a little harder to read in the dark.

I noticed everyone is using labels or markers to mark their plugs. I take an old soldering iron and burn the channel numbers into each plug housing. Nothing to wear or fall off. However, they are a little harder to read in the dark.

Have you ever heard of that "Written in Stone"? Hope your as good at planning as the author who did right in stone. This is my 4th year and I find myself moving a few items from say the left side to the right side of my display. What would I do now with that burnt in plastic now? True it wont fall off or wear off, but I will take those options so I can change my display.

Have you ever heard of that "Written in Stone"? Hope your as good at planning as the author who did right in stone. This is my 4th year and I find myself moving a few items from say the left side to the right side of my display. What would I do now with that burnt in plastic now? True it wont fall off or wear off, but I will take those options so I can change my display.

You can move the controllers without moving the channel cords.

Max-Paul, I was taking about the Controller cords, per the original post, but yes you're right about etching the extensions that way. I did that with tape, but then the following year always ended up using different cords in different places, so I don't bother marking them any more.

I was getting out my lor boxes last night and noticed all my channel labels where almost all worn-away off the plugs coming out of the box's. I used duct tape and wrote on them with pen for 1-16.

I know this was talked about awhile ago but I cant find the post

So how DO YOU label your LOR plugs????

Sorry my bad. See I forgot how most people do it. I use the PC cards/controllers and I number the wires that go out to the individual items in my display. I use quick connectors on the wires and every year I plug in individual items right to the control cards. Though I have changed that policy with a few of my newer items.