Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Supplies

Larry Johnson

• 3 weeks later...

being an electronics technician their is only one power supply i trust ,the companies name is Astron these are high quality supplies but i must warn you they are not cheap, also they carry many different sizes and current ratings from 35 amp to 200amp dc power supplies

Edited by Godney

Try automationdirect.com

I use these.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Power_Products_%28Electrical%29/DC_Power_Supplies/12VDC,_24VDC_Enclosed_Panel_Mount_%28RHINO_PSS_Series%29/PSS12-100

Very nice unit for 30 bucks! I have used a lot of stuff from them and its all top-notch with excellent

service and lightning fast shipping.

tj

• 4 weeks later...

When powering the RGB strips using this power supply (http://www.amazon.com/360w-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply/dp/B0048E4VWC) - is there a problem with heat buildup with the DC board and power supply in an enclosure ? I am only powering one DC board with the power supply at 115V.

Most folks on this forum will say no problem with heat mostly because they are used in the cooler months.

I put a CPU fan on the bottom of my enclosure, pushing up and across the board and PS and a vent on the side/top

with a louver to keep weather out... BUT... I use mine in July when its 110F. I also put a switch on the fan for the winter months.

Also, be sure to use standoffs to mount both.

tj

How has everyone wired the power supply? I just bought a 25 foot, 14 gauge power cord I'm going to use to power the three wires ground-neutral-live. But the wires going from the power supply to the actual DC card, what is everyone using and how are they wiring it? I changed the power supply to 115 vs 230, but I don't wanna mess up the wiring between the DC card and the power supply.

Thanks to all :)

My DC Card has 2 DC inputs

I used 14 gauge and wired both DC-inputs from their own terminals on the powersupply

My power supply is a 350w @ 12v Meanwell

http://www.amazon.com/Meanwell-Switching-Constant-Ledwholesalers-3251-12v/dp/B007K2H0GI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348503848&sr=8-3&keywords=meanwell+power+supply

Distance from PS to DC-Board is < 9 inches

Edited by Crazydave

Do you have a picture with the power cords going to and from the DC controller and power supply? A lot of peeps are visual learners (count me in that one). Thx CD :)

• 1 month later...

Dave, nice set up. I am working on the same exact one, but was concerned about heat build up in the enclosure. Have you running the enclosure for any length of time?

I just set up my display... so I haven't had a chance to run any "Full-throttle" tests.

Additionally.. I am only using about 130 watts of the 350 watt available.. so I would imagine that it wouldnt' get too hot

However. you bring up a good point... I will make a show that runs all my pixels at 100% white and I will close the door on the unit and see how it does.

I will try to remember to keep you posted on my results.