• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• shfr26

• Greg Young

• WilliamS

That video was different. As they say, different strokes for different folks.
Also, it would be straightforward to sequence...
But,like George and the others commented, it would not go over too well in this area (Western New York)with the folks I would want to visit our display.
Those that it might tend to draw to the display, might be inclined to take some of the display back with them when they depart... :shock::P

Like said, far as I am concerned this debate is over and done with.

But my final comments to those that believe a display would attract such folks as to walk away with parts of, or damage a display, then would you please be so kind as to explain why displays that get/got damaged or vandalized that DO NOT USE ANY of that type of music in them, have had parts stolen or destroyed?

They didn't play any rap, yet they were targeted.

If someone is going to vandalize or steal from a display they're going to do it, doesn't matter what type music is playing or not playing.

And it's NOT officially incorporated into my show, it was just something I was planning on adding, the wife has the final call on what music she will allow. And she is the only one that hasn't listened to the song yet.

So it's going to be her call if it stays or goes. And she hates rap music, so we'll see.

Still doesn't hurt to sequence something for the fun of it.

Now I've done songs for her I really don't like, downright loathe them, and drive me nuts having to listen too over and over, but I do it because she wanted it. So she's the final say on what music will be permitted in the display.

But there are going to be quite a few displays having things stolen, damaged or completely destroyed by some of the thinking going on here by some of the folks reasonings, that I can't honestly agree with over this particular song.

Matter of fact, I have a song I've used for 2 years in my display, which isn't in rap form, but sings of doing damage, and again been in my display for 2 years now and I've had no issues.

What song is that?: "Wreck the Halls", that song is full of things telling people to wreak havoc in a shopping mall by doing bad and destructive things, and to "moon that Santa", never saw anyone moon my Santa, or want to get out of their car to wreak havoc to my display. So the Santa and I Know It song doesn't promote that type of mentallity, nothing in it that tells people to do bad things, it's getting a bad review just on it's genre alone. Both songs are nothing more than humorous renditions.

And, again I've sent "Santa and I Know It!" out to quite a LOT of folks right here on the forums that have requested it that want to use it in their displays too.

So I'm not the only one that is considering using it.

Orville wrote:

But my final comments to those that believe a display would attract such folks as to walk away with parts of, or damage a display, then would you please be so kind as to explain why displays that get/got damaged or vandalized that DO NOT USE ANY of that type of music in them, have had parts stolen or destroyed?

If someone is going to vandalize or steal from a display they're going to do it, doesn't matter what type music is playing or not playing.

And it's NOT officially incorporated into my show, it was just something I was planning on adding, the wife has the final call on what music she will allow. And she is the only one that hasn't listened to the song yet.

So it's going to be her call if it stays or goes. And she hates rap music, so we'll see.

Still doesn't hurt to sequence something for the fun of it.

Now I've done songs for her I really don't like, downright loathe them, and drive me nuts having to listen too over and over, but I do it because she wanted it. So she's the final say on what music will be permitted in the display.

But there are going to be quite a few displays having things stolen, damaged or completely destroyed by some of the thinking going on here by some of the folks reasonings, that I can't honestly agree with over this particular song.

Matter of fact, I have a song I've used for 2 years in my display, which isn't in rap form, but sings of doing damage, and again been in my display for 2 years now and I've had no issues.

What song is that?: "Wreck the Halls", that song is full of things telling people to wreak havoc in a shopping mall by doing bad and destructive things, and to "moon that Santa", never saw anyone moon my Santa, or want to get out of their car to wreak havoc to my display. So the Santa and I Know It song doesn't promote that type of mentallity, nothing in it that tells people to do bad things, it's getting a bad review just on it's genre alone. Both songs are nothing more than humorous renditions.

And, again I've sent "Santa and I Know It!" out to quite a LOT of folks right here on the forums that have requested it that want to use it in their displays too.

So I'm not the only one that is considering using it.

So the Cliff Notes version of your post is:

1. your wife has final say on songs.

2. you've never had any elements of your display stolen due to song choice.

:)

DonFL wrote:

So the Cliff Notes version of your post is:

1. your wife has final say on songs.

2. you've never had any elements of your display stolen due to song choice.

:P

Absoulutely.:shock:

For what it is worth, I plan to add this song to my show this year. It will go great with "Toy Sack" by Bob Rivers and "I've got a Present for You" by Toby Keith. Most of my traffic is from people in their 30's or teens that like LMFAO. However, I will be using the clean version for the younger crowd that may view the display.

Orville wrote:

You stated in post #17 above: "And as far as I'm concerned, after finding and reading that information, the debate is over on my side of it.", and in this post you started with "this debate is over and done with" followed by a resumption of the debate you have said several times was over.:?

Exactly who is debating you? :? :?

It would appear that when folks express an opinion you don't agree with you feel the need to debate it.

The nice thing about this world is the differences among people. It would be boring if everyone viewed things the same way.

That being said it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that if your aim is to draw a certain type of crowd you may have more problems than if you aim to draw another type of crowd.

What may work in Florida may not in NY.

Greg Young wrote:

What may work in Florida may not in NY.

That WAS EXACTLY the point I was trying to make.

Not all areas may have the same reaction to a rap song or any other style of music for that matter.

I didn't plan on debating anything, but it started with my posting the LOR Animation video of the sequence I was working on from the comments of others.

And yes, I will debate something if I feel it is getting a bad review just because it's not of a type of music some don't like or listen too, not matter if it's rap, rock, hip-hop, techno, or any other genre.

Well apparently we can no longer edit our own posts any longer with the new rules that Dan has put in place.

Went to edit the above post to add something, and now tells me I have to log in (apparently I am logged in or I couldn't post this) to edit my post.

So I guess we can't edit out any incorrectly spelled words, fix punctuation or anything else after Dan placed the new rules in place. (or was that done in error?)

So if we can no longer edit our posts, how about removing that option from the forum options under the posts? After all, see no reason to have it, if it's been disabled.

DonFL wrote:

Yup..looks like it has changed.

I edited a post this morning, so must be recent.

I did PM Dan and ask about this since it's not listed in his message you click on at the top of the forums. I was able to edit my posts this morning too, and found out it's been disabled now.

So now we're going to have to make sure we're saying it in the proper theme of things since editing has been disabled and no way to edit out any bloopers now.

Not that my opinion matters, but, that song would not work in my dispaly in Florida. Like George said, I would have people driving off, but to each his own I guess.

Orville wrote:

DonFL wrote:
Yup..looks like it has changed.

I edited a post this morning, so must be recent.

I did PM Dan and ask about this since it's not listed in his message you click on at the top of the forums. I was able to edit my posts this morning too, and found out it's been disabled now.

So now we're going to have to make sure we're saying it in the proper theme of things since editing has been disabled and no way to edit out any bloopers now.

Im not certain this was done in a manner to stop us from fixing mistakes, but to back track posts that hateful and uncalled for. This to me is a good move on his part if hes trying to stop the games that a few, not majority of members are playing.

As for the song, I say run it. You edited it, you already setup the sequence, and you like it right? Im certain everyones song list is not G rated and family friendly. Ive seen AC/DC, Slayer, and so on on in a few. I like those songs I enjoy the shows. My neighbor has 2 small children 4 and 5 years old. They dont know the song, they just like the lights. If your wife does not put a stop to it, then I say do it.