Light-O-Rama Forums

First Mega Spiral Tree

Bhewson

Jerry,

When you said you Tie together the top ring of 45º .. What do you mean? Are you putting short pieces of PVC between the 45º .. Are you saying instead of gluing or without the short pieces altogether.

Thanks for the great document.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jerryb721

• Bhewson

• David Rise

• thevikester

Frybread wrote:

Jerry,

When you said you Tie together the top ring of 45º .. What do you mean? Are you putting short pieces of PVC between the 45º .. Are you saying instead of gluing or without the short pieces altogether.

Thanks for the great document.

Yes there is a small piece of pvc between them. I glued mine but if I was to do it over I would make two halves glued then screw the two halves together. I would also do that with the other ring sections so at end of season I could disasseble the trees and lay them flat.
I hope that makes sense.

eluttmann wrote:

How are the caps attached to the top ring?

I screwed them into the top ring and then glued them down to the uprights. But I think I would screw them into the uprights next time

Jerry, I was looking a gluing the the three rings together. Then leaving the 16 uprights free. Just as your documnet shows. The 16 or 32 string of light (Have not decided yet) are on. with all those wire ties it will hold it together.

Then when I take it apart, all the lights off, I can store the whole thing flat in my shed. Seems to make sense..

What do you think?

Frybread wrote:

Jerry,  I was looking a gluing the the three rings together. Then leaving the 16 uprights free. Just as your documnet shows. The 16 or 32 string of light (Have not decided yet) are on. with all those wire ties  it will hold it together.

Then when I take it apart, all the lights off, I can store the whole thing flat in my shed.  Seems to make sense..

What do you think?

Hi Frybread,
That sounds like a great idea, I'm gonna cut mine so I can do the samething. It really sucked having those two trees in my garage all year.
I think I would screw the uprights down though.
One othe thing, I did not wire tie my strands on, I put drywall screws in the uprights and then hooked the strands on them. This kept the spiral lines perfect the whole time.
Also on this heght tree I was able to use a 100 strand string folded in half for each spirail

I still don't have my controllers but I'm waiting patiently :). I am a little confused on the lighting of a spiral tree as quoted below:

Hey Brian,
If you look at one of my videos you can see it with 8 channels. I made mine with 8 channels of Red, 8 white, 8 green and 8 blue.
8 work at this height but I think more than 8 channels is better the taller you go.

does this mean that there are a total of 32 channels (8 of each color)? Also, are the strings alternated (i.e. a red string, then a white, then green, then blue) or are all the same color strings side by side?

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi zjcr19,

Yes there are 32 channels, 8 for each color.
I screwed in drywall screws on the top ring right above each cap.
On these screws I ran the red and blue together.
I then put screws in between those screws and ran the green and white together.
A total of 16 screws on the top ring.

Let me attach a photo that shows you.

Hope it helps,
Jerry

Attached files 279237=15466-DSCN1576.JPG

Here is my disply with my spiral tree. I dont't have a controller yet so I am going to use my cheep 6ch controller i picked up at Menards.

Attached files 280213=15538-059.JPG

Just wondering what length of lights you are using for this.

Nevermind. Hard to see on this laptop. I see you used 100 count folded in half.

And I take it that was the exact length or at least close to it?

Yes on mine last year with almost 2 complete wraps around it was exactly an 100 strand folded in half.
This year I only went 1.5 times around the tree and with new 100 strand LED (which is a bit longer) it was exactly folded in thirds.
I think the best thing to do is take a strand and wrap it to the spiral twist (coil) you like and let the lights end where they end

Bhewson wrote:

Here is my disply with my spiral tree. I dont't have a controller yet so I am going to use my cheep 6ch controller i picked up at Menards.

Love your tree. Is your deer missing something? :) :)

LORi P wrote:

Bhewson wrote:

Love your tree. Is your deer missing something? :):P

LORi I think his head is on the wall in the living room! :D

jerryb721 wrote:

Anyone interested in a  list of how I made mine, here is a word doc you can download.
It has graphics of how I assembled it (as best as I could draw)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VlcMiPDv_6OCFpF0bv9n15bubqLShSzEY0GybUyZDrM/edit

Hi Jerry,
This a great design.
On your google doc "parts list" I think you mean "8" T's , not "7". It was very easy to follow.
I made 2 of these today while waiting out the rain.
For the screws going down the uprights ( for the strand spacing) - how many inches between the screws?

Thanks again for the design - I can't wait to see them lit.

-Trish

Trish Bailey wrote:

"8" T's , not "7".

Hi Trish,
Oops typo, fixed now.

Just went out and measured the distance, I have 3" spacing on the top uprights and 4.5" on the bottom uprights. Don't ask my why, I'm sure there was some sort of reasoning behind those measurement last year, but at the moment I don't remember.
4" on both top and bottom would probably be just as good.
Actually I now that I think about it, I got them from taking one strand and wrapping it around the tree until I saw a spiral coil I liked then marked it.

Glad the plans helped you!