Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie Question Before the Summer Sale

jeremyworkman46

That's what I read too Steven (Part 15 FCC Rules) about FM transmitters, so since mine came pre-assembled WITH its own matched antenna, I *thought* it would have been certified, so I looked all over the unit and all through the documentation, no certification to be found!

I did try to research out a "legal FM Transmitter", but what I found were one unit around $795, however most were $4,000-$5,000+ in price! **OUCH** That's a lot of lights and controllers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremyworkman46

• Surfing4Dough

• caniac

• flybaer

I like having a dedicated computer to run my lights. I have landscaping lights year round and change it up at any time. You can find acceptable computers real cheap at rummage sales, I got mine for $5.

There are a whack of shared sequences out there that you can re-work to fit your display if you do not want to purchases any. Re-working shared sequences is a good way to see how other folks sequence, saves some time.

Also, you could make up your own LCC file and then you can cut & past effects from a variety of sequences (that use the same song) and that have 96 or more channels and some CCR's if you decide to go with CCR's. Then do your own effects too.

You can go here to see a wide variety of sequences, however they are not all Lor sequences and so just be aware of that...... http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/links/browselinks.php?c=34

Orville wrote:

Steven wrote:
Orville wrote:
I wanted one already assembled, just connect the antenna, plug it all in and go.

The reason it's hard to find those is that it's illegal (against FCC regulations) to sell an FM transmitter unless it's certified (like the Whole House units). This certification includes the built-in antenna, so it's no longer certified if you use your own.

The "good" transmitters, like the EDM or Ramsey are not certified because they don't have a built-in antenna, and probably exceed the FCC permitted levels when used with a typical antenna. For that reason, they are not sold as transmitters, but are instead sold as kits. The manufacturer thus transfers the liability to you, as the builder, because you are building the transmitter.

You will also see non-certified transmitters sold, such as several from China. These sales are illegal, but the FCC doesn't have enough manpower to shut them down.

These rules are all from Part 15 of the FCC Regulations.

What I find interesting is how MBB sells their fully assembled transmitters, that are assembled and sold in the USA, with an matching antenna AND NOT BE CERTIFIED! I thought mine was until I started looking for the "certification sticker" that should have been on the bottom of the unit, but wasn't!:shock:

I wasn't even aware of that until seeing a lot of discussions on several other forums, including this one as to where to look for the "FCC Certification".

But it sure seems that over 99% of these FM transmitters ARE UNCERTIFIED!

I even have one that plugs into my cars power outlet and even it isn't certified (purchased at a Wal-Mart many years ago) that I could find!

Sure must be difficult to get one FCC certified, is there any that are actually certified that are pre-built? And if so, who makes them, and where can you buy a "legally certified FM Transmitter?"

Guess it's time to try and do an internet search of LEGAL FM Transmitters, if there are such beasts out there anywhere....

Certification costs money, and if you're seling junk at low cost, there goes your profit.

There is a lot of fuzziness about what defines "kit" and "home built"...EDM makes it clear they are interpreting it one way, and if you don't agree, then they ask you don't buy their kit. Don't even want to wade into that discussion further..just google and read.

That said, EDMs "kit" is barely enough work to make it worth heating up the iron..its relatively easy, even if you don't feel you have pro level soldering skills.

My guess is, stacked up agains the MBBs and WHTs of the world, from a certification standpoint, EDM would hold their own...its a good product.

caniac wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
jeremyworkman46 wrote:
So if I get 6 of the card assembled units, a mini director, the starter package with highest software, two CCRs, should I be set? I know I will still need the timer for the director, the FM transmitter, and CAT5 cables to link all of the units together. I'm getting really excited!

I think you got it figured out. B)

FYI:
Best FM Transmitters in my opinion: http://edmdesign.com/orders.html
I have the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP, but you can save some bucks by getting the non-RDS one if that isn't a feature/toy you don't need.

Best place for CAT5 cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

my ONLY issue with these FM Transmitters is that I don't want anything I have to put together. So far my options seem to be 1) get a Whole House which doesn't work, 2) a kit that I am too paranoid to put together, 3) stay with my outside speakers.

I have the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP model and love it. I don't solder either, but this was a piece of cake. I have soldered only 2 times in my life before (literally 2 wires together), and poorly at that! No regrets on my part with this though. I trusted what others here had said that it was ridiculously easy to "assemble" this unit (assemble makes it sound like more than it is). All EDM's require some assembly. Well, EDM took the least assembly required approach. Have to solder 1 single part, and it isn't even a tough connection since basically all you have to do is let the solder fill the holes where the part attaches (see page 6 of this manual for great pictures http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf )

Don't waste your time with the Whole House Transmitter. It seems rare that somebody is satisfied with it. And I appreciate my neighbors too much to consider the outside speakers route. Plus all visitors are going to be in a car so difficult to hear speakers over the car engine anyways (unless you crank the volume, and again I like my neighbors). Not many here in Ohio are going to want their windows down in the winter anyway, and definitely no walkers going by.

I'd add Easy Light Linkers to the now or future list ... makes it incredibly easy to setup when you don't have to give any thought to cable connecting all the controllers.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

caniac wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:
jeremyworkman46 wrote:
So if I get 6 of the card assembled units, a mini director, the starter package with highest software, two CCRs, should I be set? I know I will still need the timer for the director, the FM transmitter, and CAT5 cables to link all of the units together. I'm getting really excited!

I think you got it figured out. :)

FYI:
Best FM Transmitters in my opinion: http://edmdesign.com/orders.html
I have the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP, but you can save some bucks by getting the non-RDS one if that isn't a feature/toy you don't need.

Best place for CAT5 cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

my ONLY issue with these FM Transmitters is that I don't want anything I have to put together. So far my options seem to be 1) get a Whole House which doesn't work, 2) a kit that I am too paranoid to put together, 3) stay with my outside speakers.

I have the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP model and love it. I don't solder either, but this was a piece of cake. I have soldered only 2 times in my life before (literally 2 wires together), and poorly at that! No regrets on my part with this though. I trusted what others here had said that it was ridiculously easy to "assemble" this unit (assemble makes it sound like more than it is). All EDM's require some assembly. Well, EDM took the least assembly required approach. Have to solder 1 single part, and it isn't even a tough connection since basically all you have to do is let the solder fill the holes where the part attaches (see page 6 of this manual for great pictures http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf )

Don't waste your time with the Whole House Transmitter. It seems rare that somebody is satisfied with it. And I appreciate my neighbors too much to consider the outside speakers route. Plus all visitors are going to be in a car so difficult to hear speakers over the car engine anyways (unless you crank the volume, and again I like my neighbors). Not many here in Ohio are going to want their windows down in the winter anyway, and definitely no walkers going by.
Had purchased a WHOLE HOUSE a few months back before reading some of this and decided to test it. It failed miserably and was returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any how to guides or hints on the software? I downloaded the demo version, and will upgrade when I order my controllers. It's a little overwhelming, and I'm certainly going to have to work non-stop from now until November to get it ready.

Thanks again, guys.

jeremyworkman46 wrote:

Does anyone know of any how to guides or hints on the software?  I downloaded the demo version, and will upgrade when I order my controllers.  It's a little overwhelming, and I'm certainly going to have to work non-stop from now until November to get it ready. 

Thanks again, guys. 

Training Presentations and Showtime Tutorials are on this
page.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html#Training_Presentations

Also there is a Help file in the Software. Just click on the Help button or press F1

• 1 month later...

what is the difference between the mini-director and the more industrial version? The sale is over today and I need to make a decision. I have one controller but are planning on adding more as finances permit.

flybaer wrote:

what is the difference between the mini-director and the more industrial version? The sale is over today and I need to make a decision. I have one controller but are planning on adding more as finances permit.

the ccrs are the only thing on sale now, the controllers and other items will be on sale later this month

flybaer wrote:

the mini-directors are on sale through the end of today. Here is what i copied for the website:"Kits, ServoDogs and Mini Mp3 Directors 9/14 thru 9/19/2011"

your right sorry for the mis infomation

caniac wrote:

Steven wrote:
Orville wrote:
I wanted one already assembled, just connect the antenna, plug it all in and go.

The reason it's hard to find those is that it's illegal (against FCC regulations) to sell an FM transmitter unless it's certified (like the Whole House units).  This certification includes the built-in antenna, so it's no longer certified if you use your own.

The "good" transmitters, like the EDM or Ramsey are not certified because they don't have a built-in antenna, and probably exceed the FCC permitted levels when used with a typical antenna.  For that reason, they are not sold as transmitters, but are instead sold as kits.  The manufacturer thus transfers the liability to you, as the builder, because you are building the transmitter.

You will also see non-certified transmitters sold, such as several from China.  These sales are illegal, but the FCC doesn't have enough manpower to shut them down.

These rules are all from Part 15 of the FCC Regulations.
I understand all that which is why I may opt to forgo using any fm transmitter.

I'll let you know how easy/hard it is when mine arrives sometime this week.

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I received my EDM-TX-LCD-EP yesterday.

I too was very apprehensive of the soldering part of the kit.

It took me all of five mins. to do all of the required steps. The only soldering to do is the power connector. Three small dabs of solder and finished. Some time you must also insert the transmitter chip and sometimes it is already inserted when you receive the kit. All I can say is that all of the support I received from all of you folks on this forum helped me in makinfg my decision on the EDM. I took about 15 days to get to me but after the ease of assembly and hearing the sound quality it was worth the wait and a few $$$ more. I love this transmitter. Just hope this helps some of you out with your choice of transmitters. Remember I too am a newb. at this madness too. I say go for it and don't worry about your soldering skills.

Joe

flybaer wrote:

Sorry didn't get to this last night, but if you hurry, you might still get the mini-director on sale since it is still listed that way on their site (and new items not listed yet). Hopefully you read the first part of this thread and you probably would have found the same info.

Beyond the fact that the Showtime Mp3 Director is a lot more money, the main difference is the internal clock. The mini-director doesn't have one. That is one expensive clock if you ask me. I just plug my mini-director into a digital timer for $20 from a local Home Depot or Lowes (shown below). Therefore it does the same thing. Both control lights the same way. I like that the mini-director is so small (about the size of your palm)--more portable. Sound quality is perfect. I have never had a problem with mine, nor heard of anybody regretting getting a mini-director. Save the money, buy more lights/channels instead.

fe68eb7f-56e7-4b17-9cd8-9684c53ef12a_300.jpg

Joe Polenchar wrote:

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I received my EDM-TX-LCD-EP yesterday.

I too was very apprehensive of the soldering part of the kit.

It took me all of five mins. to do all of the required steps. The only soldering to do is the power connector. Three small dabs of solder and finished. Some time you must also insert the transmitter chip and sometimes it is already inserted when you receive the kit. All I can say is that all of the support I received from all of you folks on this forum helped me in makinfg my decision on the EDM. I took about 15 days to get to me but after the ease of assembly and hearing the sound quality it was worth the wait and a few $$$ more. I love this transmitter. Just hope this helps some of you out with your choice of transmitters. Remember I too am a newb. at this madness too. I say go for it and don't worry about your soldering skills.

Joe

Good job Joe! Told ya' it was easy. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

What is the difference between the EDM-TX-LCD-EP and the EDM-LCD-CS-EP, other than about $55? I see the differences listed on the site, but can't comprehend exactly what they mean.