Light-O-Rama Forums

PLanet Monkman Custom Built Sequences

nmonkman

Wouldn't that suck if you made a custom sequence for someone else and they won the contest. Beating anything you made for your own display.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evan.a

• jem5136

• Paul Roberson

• friskybri

Top Posters In This Topic

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Thats just it.

The ones who are posting "I give my sequences away, I would never charge for them" are not giving away custom sequences.

That's not true...

90% of mine are my own...

but I guess it depends on your meaning of "custom"...meaning custom to THIER display only...

Yeah I actually had something to the affect of it being custom to the person on the receiving end, but took it out thinking people are smarter than that.

Guess you proved me wrong. :D:)

Paul Roberson wrote:

Guess you proved me wrong. :D:D

that's my lot in life...prove people wrong...

especially myself... :)

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Another thing we've seen from a few of the sequence for hire people is the problem with getting work done for their customers.

That's the kind of show-your-bias blanket statement that could start a redneck fight in an empty room. "from a few of..." Really? A FEW? More than just a couple? Sounds like a corrupt group of vermin that definitely needs some light shined on them. So unless you're just blowing smoke, how about helping us all out here and lets hear some names of people/companies who are doing that?

When it comes to liars, predators and thieves, I'm all about protecting my friends here, and especially newbies And it sounds like you are too. So let's do that. Those who don't deliver sequencing as promised need to be identified just like any other vendor who screws people over. Plus, as a competitor of those people, in addition to being offended by your remark, I've got a dog in this fight.

For the record, I had work on my desk from March thru November last year and every single one of my clients got their complete orders in time for decorating season. How did that happen? By being honest and responsible and saying no thanks when I knew I was full instead of being greedy.

And thank you Paul for making the distinction between "sequences" and "custom sequencing". Last year all I did was custom sequencing. This year I added many of my existing sequences for sale. Evan mentioned how to set their value? I wrestled with that for months. Sequencing 144 channels in '08 took me about 8-9 hours per song minute. Sequencing 304 channels in '09 took about 12 hours per song minute.

Even at minimum wage ($7.15) that's a $174 for a two minute song. I ain't the greatest sequencer in the world, but an awful lot of people tell me I'm in the top ten percent. If that's even close to being true, then my services should be worth at least minimum wage, wouldn't you say? Yet the most expensive sequence I offer is a six minute one for $60. So before y'all get yourselves so bent out of shape that you need to see your chiropractor (instead of using that money to buy one of my sequences) try doing a little math and lets put a few things into perspective here. Thanks.

I am one of those who has "no computer skills" but have a lot of other talents that help me put on a great display. However, that would not have been possible if it were not for George sequencing 19 songs (96 channels) for me this past year. They were all great!!:P

Thanks George, I am looking forward to having you do some more this year.

Thank you George! I agree 100% with you. I've been doing custom sequencing for only a year (I've been syncing way longer though) and because of that, I had a few kinks to work out, but I was honest will every one of my customers and I made sure they all got what they wanted, and I solved any problems they might of had (like a channel being on the wrong controller, or something like that). I did have to be honest with a few people and tell they that I just didn't have enough time to sequence for them, which I hated doing because I love sequencing so much, but I didn't want to leave someone empty handed.

Yah but do you make custom custom sequences. Like someone I know. Now those are better. Love the cat fight. This is better than naked woman jellow fights. Well maybe not. [Foul Language Used] me another bbbeeeeer.

Well, I feel like a jackass now! Just swated @ my monitor cause there's a bug crawling on it....No.......Thats William's avatar.......Going to get another beer and so I can further entertain myself.....

All of my custom sequences were "custom custom sequences" I used the customers layout and sequenced the songs they chose. If they wanted to see any of my own personal sequences, I would send it to them. I don't really see the point in charging for someone else sequence they used themselves.

jem5136 wrote:

I don't really see the point in charging for someone else sequence they used themselves.

that is my point.
I'm not knocking on anyone calling themself professional and custom or even artist.. It must be the koolaid. lights blink and music goes with it.

Michael Farney, who should trump in. offers a great service for free. how much time do you all think he spent doing his how to videos? how many people know his website?

we've all been there, done that.

Willam, super size mine please. going to be a long night

friskybri wrote:

Wouldn't that suck if you made a custom sequence for someone else and they won the contest. Beating anything you made for your own display.

Now that would suck:shock:!!

evana wrote:

Michael Farney, who should trump in. offers a great service for free. how much time do you all think he spent doing his how to videos? how many people know his website?

we've all been there, done that.

Willam, super size mine please. going to be a long night

Live and let live, folks! There is nothing wrong with a paid service, and there is nothing wrong with a free service. We're all helping folks out, whether we have free items or not.

(I should also point out my so called "free" service made $350 in ad revenue during the 2 years I had ads on the site.) Perspective is in the eye of the beholder.

I understand if one wants to sell there stuff for a profit we all have to make a living, then again for most of us this is a hobby. But that being said I have very grave concerns saying that you will buy a MP3 for a person if they choose but yet then you are going to make a $1 proffit off of someone elses work. That in itself I would have to think would be illegal, I mean why dont we go ahead a scalp songs just like people scalp tickets.

rescue_653 wrote:

I understand if one wants to sell there stuff for a profit we all have to make a living, then again for most of us this is a hobby. But that being said I have very grave concerns saying that you will buy a MP3 for a person if they choose but yet then you are going to make a $1 proffit off of someone elses work. That in itself I would have to think would be illegal, I mean why dont we go ahead a scalp songs just like people scalp tickets.

He said he would charge an extra dollar and "buy the song on their behalf". He is not making a $ profit. He is spending that dollar on the song.
If you purchased a sequence from AL they do the same thing, "purchase the song on your behalf".