Light-O-Rama Forums

Can DC board control RGB module?

Bowshock

jimswinder wrote:

I will be the first to admit I know NOTHING about any RGB products or even how to make/use them...

but wouldn't you want something more like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/314086573-3-chip-RGB-full-color-through-hole-led-channel-letter-6803IC-pixed-controlled-DC5V-input-waterproof-wholesalers.html

Especially if it was 12 volt vs 5 volt?

Or is it becasue it is full color and not three separate LED's?

Jim,

That item you linked probably would not work with a LOR DC board. It contains a 6803 chip, you would have to use a controller that outputs the 6803 protocol.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bowshock

• Paul Roberson

• jimswinder

• edvas69

jimswinder wrote:

I will be the first to admit I know NOTHING about any RGB products or even how to make/use them...

but wouldn't you want something more like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/314086573-3-chip-RGB-full-color-through-hole-led-channel-letter-6803IC-pixed-controlled-DC5V-input-waterproof-wholesalers.html

Especially if it was 12 volt vs 5 volt?

Or is it becasue it is full color and not three separate LED's?

The DC controller would not work with those it would take a special controller.

I used these

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/288950548-Flexible-LED-Strip-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-RGB-color-DC12V-input-with-wholesalers.html

last year on our house roof and windows. They run from a DC controller and can be cut to the length you need.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I used these

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/288950548-Flexible-LED-Strip-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-RGB-color-DC12V-input-with-wholesalers.html

last year on our house roof and windows. They run from a DC controller and can be cut to the length you need.

I figured you would want something that looked more like a regular M6 LED...

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
I used these

I figured you would want something that looked more like a regular M6 LED...

These (in the above link) went on our house easy in perfect lines. No need to attach each 'bulb' as you would have to with M6 or similar.

The OP stated "I'll be using these to change colors in some luminaries." So I didn't figure M6 or whatever would make him a difference.

Paul Roberson wrote:

These (in the above link) went on our house easy in perfect lines. No need to attach each 'bulb' as you would have to with M6 or similar

do you have any video posted of your lights I could take a look at?

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
These (in the above link) went on our house easy in perfect lines. No need to attach each 'bulb' as you would have to with M6 or similar

do you have any video posted of your lights I could take a look at?

Oops I thought I had the website in my sig. Its there now. : )

http://christmaswiththerobersons.com/

Paul Roberson wrote:

I see you did "Where's The Line TO See Jesus...I had posted a few days before Christmas Eve if anyone had sequenced it!! LOL

Is the video superimposed on your house or did you actually project it thru a window?

EDIT:

Yeah..I can see I need to get into the whole DIY RGB stuff...

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

I see you did "Where's The Line TO See Jesus...I had posted a few days before Christmas Eve if anyone had sequenced it!! LOL

Is the video superimposed on your house or did you actually project it thru a window?

EDIT:

Yeah..I can see I need to get into the whole DIY RGB stuff...

Yeah I got the song idea from your post. I did not get it done til after Christmas though. I thought I uploaded the sequence to that thread?

Both. :P The video was projected thru a window onto a screen, but in the video of the sequence I superimposed it over the screen so it could be seen better. : )

Paul Roberson wrote:

Yeah I got the song idea from your post. I did not get it done til after Christmas though. I thought I uploaded the sequence to that thread?

I see you did...I think I downloaded it, but like you said...little too late.. lol

do you use the Xenon strobes or the LED strobes?

My LED strobes were NEVER that bright!!

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

I see you did...I think I downloaded it, but like you said...little too late.. lol

do you use the Xenon strobes or the LED strobes?

My LED strobes were NEVER that bright!!

I use Xenon strobes from Darryl.

I like the bulbs, but I thought they would need the controller.

Paul:

I like the looks of the strips, but if I order the amount I would need to run my roofline, I would need 64' (20 meters) which would cost $157. For about $50 more I could get a dual string CCB and cover the same space with more control. The question is do I need more control I guess. How many feet do you have? How many sections are you broken into?

Bowshock wrote:

I like the bulbs, but I thought they would need the controller.

Paul:

I like the looks of the strips, but if I order the amount I would need to run my roofline, I would need 64' (20 meters) which would cost $157. For about $50 more I could get a dual string CCB and cover the same space with more control. The question is do I need more control I guess. How many feet do you have? How many sections are you broken into?

Yeah you would have more control, but you would have 500 less:shock: RGB pixels to cover the same space going with the CCB

I ordered a total of 147 meters. My largest section was 8 meters long. I had a problem with a connector I was using. It was too small to run a 8 meter long section. The 8 meter section should have been powered from both ends.

My whole set up used 40 pieces. Around my windows were 4 pieces coupled together with a 4 pin weather proof connector. The roof top was borken into 5 pieces so I could 'sweep' across from one end to another.

Don't forget to add the cost of a DC board and a power supply if you go with RGB strips. Adding that in looks like the CCB would be cheaper. :cool:

I guess one of the other major issues for me would be trying to program over 300 RGB channels....If S2 can group them together for at least some of the time, I might be able to deal with it. I can barely handle the 48 channels I currently have. I'm not a good sequencer!!

HMMMMM much to ponder.

Yes. One of the channels on a CCB/CCR controller is how many channels the string will behave as. So you can talk to each bulb individually, or you can make the whole string appear as a single RGB channel (or the three underlying channels, the Red, Green, and Blue intensities that sum up to the current color)

Bowshock wrote:

I guess one of the other major issues for me would be trying to program over 300 RGB channels....If S2 can group them together for at least some of the time, I might be able to deal with it. I can barely handle the 48 channels I currently have. I'm not a good sequencer!!

HMMMMM much to ponder.

Don't think of it as 300 channels. Set them up in the grid as RGB channels and you will only see 100 new channels showing. :)

If the less bulb count does not bother you and the price for the CCB would be about the same then forget about how many channels the CCB would be. Just think of it as 3 channels. One each of R,G, and B

There will be 100 RGB channels showing on the grid. Concentrate on programming ONE of them. Then copy and paste that one into the other 99. This will make the CCB act just like one RGB string. The ability will always be there for more control if you decided you wanted/needed it. :)

The CCR can be configured through the Hardware Utility to group pixels together. As an example I have my CCR configured to use groups of 5 pixels. So instead of 50 channels of Red Green and Blue in the sequence editor, I have 10.

I'm pretty sure the CCB could be configured to act as one channel of Red Green and Blue if you wanted it to.

rwertz wrote:

The CCR can be configured through the Hardware Utility to group pixels together. As an example I have my CCR configured to use groups of 5 pixels. So instead of 50 channels of Red Green and Blue in the sequence editor, I have 10.

I'm pretty sure the CCB could be configured to act as one channel of Red Green and Blue if you wanted it to.

GREAT!! But can you configure it to act this way though tracks in S2. It would be great to be able to switch between control of the string and control of the bulbs in a single song.

Can it be done?

Bowshock wrote:

rwertz wrote:

GREAT!! But can you configure it to act this way though tracks in S2. It would be great to be able to switch between control of the string and control of the bulbs in a single song.

Can it be done?

Sure it can :P

Check out the function of channel 151 (Logical Resolution) in the Cosmic Color Ribbon manual. You can choose a resolution of 1, 2, 5, 10, 16, 17, 25, or 50. "Any other value will select the resolution configured with the Hardware Utility."

I think you can also jump in and out of Macro Mode. But I didn't play too much with the macro settings.

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CR150D_Man_Web.pdf