Guest guest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• iresq

• cattlefarmboy

Can you do them once they are outside set up? I would think the answer would be yes as each is individually numbered. The reason I ask it is a little time consuming to do each board when you have 20 or so.

Now back to my orginal question, I have four green boards and 15 blue boards. So I would need to download each type of firmware but not install? Or do I install both and when I upgrade each board then just use that one. For some reason this is just not making sense here on my end. One thing for certain is I do not use the LED lights. I just think they are way too much money for the power savings for only 30 days use. Besides I love quantity as I can buy over 1600 mini lights for the cost of some strings of LED's.

Robin wrote:

Can you do them once they are outside set up? I would think the answer would be yes as each is individually numbered. The reason I ask it is a little time consuming to do each board when you have 20 or so.

Now back to my orginal question, I have four green boards and 15 blue boards. So I would need to download each type of firmware but not install? Or do I install both and when I upgrade each board then just use that one. For some reason this is just not making sense here on my end. One thing for certain is I do not use the LED lights. I just think they are way too much money for the power savings for only 30 days use. Besides I love quantity as I can buy over 1600 mini lights for the cost of some strings of LED's.

Robin,

Yes you can do the firmware upgrade after all is setup. However, if something does not go well that would not be the best time to find out.

Dan stated what the fixes were, so if your not using either of those situations I do not think you need to upgrade. Unless of course you just want to stay current. Personally, I perfer to just stay current even if I do not use the "features" at this time. Saves me headaches later trying to locate.

Yes download both versions. You would then need to know what type board is at what address in your setup. There is no way of telling from the hardware utility that I am aware. Then in the hardware utility, simply select the firmware tab at the bottom and then select the radio button that says select from list above. Select the controller from the dropdown list at the top. Then select the file to load. Lastly select the download button.

I hope that Ihave helped and clouded the issue further.

Chuck

OH MY GOD THIS SOLVES MOST OF MY PROBLEMS!!!

Wonderful! Can you tell I'm really happy about this? Some of my channels (varied from song to song) had a really annoying flicker near low voltages. Totally fixed that problem! Awesome!

Remaining LED question...

Near low voltages, there is now only some very slight flicker that I can live with. Is this the expected nature of LEDs and SSRs at low voltage? Depending on the brand and color of LED, I see it at 2-20%. All lights on the same LOR seem to flicker in the exact same way.

Well to avoid problems I think I will do the upgrade before tear down. Just a lot easier to do it when they are all hooked up than to do each, one at a time. Not a problem knowing which ones are green and blue. Just open door and look!:laughing:

Robin wrote:

If you are not using LEDs then there really isn't a reason to upgrade firmware. You will need to select each board one at a time and update the firmware in that board. If it is a Blue Board use the blue firmware if it is a Green board use the green firmware.

Is there any way through the hardware utility to know which model board you have (green or blue) without opening the cover and what the firmware version is?

Bill

Edit: Upon further review, I would think that by looking at the firmware version in the hardware utility that one would be able to determine the type of board.

Also for reasons I do not quite understand when I downloaded the firmware file it was saved as CTB16D_Green_V4.01.LHX.TXT. A text file, I just renamed it and it worked fine.

Bill

LightORama wrote:

Robin wrote:

If you are not using LEDs then there really isn't a reason to upgrade firmware. You will need to select each board one at a time and update the firmware in that board. If it is a Blue Board use the blue firmware if it is a Green board use the green firmware.

Is there anything on this upgrade helpful to the boards if you do not use LED's. just curious. Thanks

Dan:

I have the LOR1602 w/built-in MP3 player.

I have NOT set up my lights. I am NOT using LEDs.

Is there anything on this upgrade that I need? Is the internal clock fixed now, where it will turn itself on/off automatically?

Thanks!

Paul

Good Question Paul?

Is this the firmware upgrade Dan was talking about with the scheduler for the MP3 controller?

If so, do we download the DC-MP3 firmware?

If this only happens to deal with flickers and LED's the we still have to wait?

Bill Jr.

Paul and Bill,

If you look on the LOR website under support you see the firmware that is being referred to here is for the 16D boards. I believe from reading the threads in the past, the scheduler for the MP3 player was mentioned it would be available when the next version of software is released.

I hope that this is helpful.

Chuck

Paul, Bill, Chuck, & All about the firmware on the MP3 director card...

Dan correct this if it's wrong: the email I received on Sept 19 said "It will be available in about 4 weeks".

Basically it's any time now.

BvrBru1 wrote:

Dan:
I have the LOR1602 w/built-in MP3 player.
I have NOT set up my lights. I am NOT using LEDs.
Is there anything on this upgrade that I need? Is the internal clock fixed now, where it will turn itself on/off automatically?
Thanks!
Paul

There is not need for you to update the firmware.

I"m a little confused...I dont see an "about" on the hardware utility to find out what version I"m at with the hardware utility. I see the new version is 1.5.6. When I run this it updates installed files so that after the update my hardware utility is upgraded (even though it looks the same?)????

Also, I get this Found when I do a search for boards in the hardware utility.

01 - CTB16D ver 3.0

So, I guess I have version 3.0 of the firmware on my new 16ch board.

What is the new version that is out there..I cant find that anywhere. Do I need to upgrade.

BTW, I got my kit put together tonight and its flashing away (only tried one channel so far as I only wire half the board and only had on socket to wire in to plug in to). Getting a sequence to run is a little cumbersome having to schedule the sequence and all that (no manual mode). I'll reserve judgement on this until I use it more as it might just be the most logical way to do it (in the big picture of things).

I guess I can go ahead and put on my big heatsinks now as it seems to be working.

GREAT KIT Dan!!! You guys really have it together. If you could have sent me a set of pre 42 yr old eyes is the only thing that would have made it easier....LOL

UPDATE: I loaded the firmware posted and now it shows as

01 - CTB16D ver 4.01

So, I guess my new kit (recieved 2 days ago) did require the upgrade. Happy and up to date!!!!

I don't have the kit (Showtime boxes here) but here are a couple things I saw after upgrading.

If you have installed the hardware controller correctly now you will see the version number in the header line after the words " Lite-O-Rama". I saw (1.5.6)

See Dan's comments above for who needs to upgrade.

You can test the sequence easily in the sequence editor as you work on it, by making sure that the control lights option is selected in the play pull down menu

jmccorm wrote:

OH MY GOD THIS SOLVES MOST OF MY PROBLEMS!!!

Wonderful! Can you tell I'm really happy about this? Some of my channels (varied from song to song) had a really annoying flicker near low voltages. Totally fixed that problem! Awesome!

Remaining LED question...

Near low voltages, there is now only some very slight flicker that I can live with. Is this the expected nature of LEDs and SSRs at low voltage? Depending on the brand and color of LED, I see it at 2-20%. All lights on the same LOR seem to flicker in the exact same way.

I just wanted to see if you were aware of this pre and post firmware issue?

OK, I can get the lights to work in the hardware utility and I can get my show to run in the show controller software but when I play my sequence in the sequence editor with "control lights" checked, it does NOT control my lights. So, I have shows enabled..is that the problem? (the hardware editor is closed also)

Can someone clue me in???

ALSO, I do see the version number in the title (maybe it was there all along???)