Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New LOR Firmware Posted

Guest guest

I just got my new Model 3, LOR 1602W in like a month ago, do I need to upgrade the firmware?

Guest guest

I have contacted Dan recently pertaining to the new firmware. He does recommend that you upgrade to the new version. NOTE: there are 2 downloads for the boards. One if the board is green (green button) and the other if the board is blue (blue button).

Don't make the mistake I made! I downloaded the firmware and used my current hardware utility to install. The version I had for the hardware utility is the version that shipped on the CD with the USB486B adapter. All went well with loading the firmware to the boards. Then I did a refresh, the hardware utility showed unknown for the controllers that I upgraded. It was at this point that I emailed Dan.

You will also need to download the hardware utility upgrade. This download includes a config file that will allow the hardware utility to reorganize the new firmware.

One of the items that I know is addressed in this firmware release, no more flicker when fading my LED lights.

Chuck

Guest guest

Dan/John,

So What is exactly the purpose of the new firmware? Chuck has said "No led flicker when fading". Anything else you can tell us? Just like logan said, 'Do we even NEED to upgrade the firmware?"

Thanks!

--Daniel L

Guest guest

What is the difference between the green & blue boards? I see there are 2 different firmware upgrades for them and I do have both.

Guest guest

Well, each type of board does take it's own firmware.

For kicks and at the risk of me messing something up, I did try the blue firmware in my green boards. I know stupid thing! The response I received in the hardware utility was Invalid bootstrap.

In a previous discussion with Dan, he mentioned to me that the newer boards have a larger power supply for the accessories such as the easy light linker. I believe the blue board is that such board. But that is all I can really see with my eyes...the rest is in those smoke containers.....you know the devices that when you let the smoke out, they no longer work! :smile:

Chuck

Guest guest

Stupid question, but when I right click to "save target as..." where do I save the target to?

Guest guest

Becky,

I created a folder inside my LOR folder and title the new folder LOR upgrades.

I had no problem with the utility installing from there.

Firmware should go into the firmware folder inside the LOR folder.

Chuck

Guest guest

I upgreaded my three controllers, no problems, went very smooth.

James

Guest guest

Daniel wrote:

Dan/John,

So What is exactly the purpose of the new firmware? Chuck has said "No led flicker when fading". Anything else you can tell us? Just like logan said, 'Do we even NEED to upgrade the firmware?"

Thanks!

--Daniel L

I'm thinking the same thing. Is there any reason for me to upgrade my boards if I am not using LED's?

Guest guest

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Daniel wrote:
Dan/John,

Thanks!

--Daniel L

I'm thinking the same thing. Is there any reason for me to upgrade my boards if I am not using LED's?

Unless you are using LEDs or Inductive loads like motors OR have some issue with the controllers there is no need to upgrade.

Guest guest

FYI

I just did the upgrade for both the blue controller boards (4) and ELL's (4) also went without a hitch.

Does anyone know what the ELL firmware upgrade improves or adds?

Thanks

Steve

Guest guest

Steve Hoyt wrote:

[snip]
[snip]

A bug in the original firmware was corrected. The bug had to do with certain character sequences that could not making it through the link. This bug caused some commands to be filtered out and thus being missed.

Everyone that has an ELL firmware version lower than 2.8 should upgrade. Also the new Hardware Utility is more friendly with the ELLs. It automatically detects the ELL and switch baud rates to match the ELL configuration. It also updates ELL firmware better than the previous version.

Guest guest

Do you have to upgrade each board individually or can you do it when you have them all hooked up?

Also, if you have both the blue and green boards how do you seperate them during the upgrade. Will it ask board color?

Guest guest

Ok now really confused. There are 3 firmware buttons, then a blue firmware, and a green firmware. Which ones do you download if you have both. You would think I would understand this must have been the heat today.

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Steve Hoyt wrote:
[snip]
[snip]

A bug in the original firmware was corrected. The bug had to do with certain character sequences that could not making it through the link. This bug caused some commands to be filtered out and thus being missed.

Everyone that has an ELL firmware version lower than 2.8 should upgrade. Also the new Hardware Utility is more friendly with the ELLs. It automatically detects the ELL and switch baud rates to match the ELL configuration. It also updates ELL firmware better than the previous version.

I am a user of the ELL's and have them working in my Halloween display. I worked with John this summer and we identified the problems with some of my sequences and John fixed them all. 2.8 has been performing FLAWLESS! I highly suggest what Dan has said - upgrade your firmware for no surprises.

Mike

Guest guest

It will ask you to select the board you want to upgrade .If you know what boards they are just select then do your upgrade to it. I saved my firmware to my desktop When you do yours Robin you can do the same then just select the firmware for the appropriate board

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Unless you are using LEDs or Inductive loads like motors OR have some issue with the controllers there is no need to upgrade.

I was planning to use X10 for a gobo projector, but does this mean I can now use an empty LOR channel to run the gobo motor? Is it safe to use LOR for the blower on an inflatable after the upgrade?

Guest guest

I updated my board I am running this week and when I run the utility it says it recognizes it but it says it is an unknown device. Got any input here Dan?

Guest guest

Pilot,

Read my reply up further in the thread.

You will need to download and install the hardware utility upgrade for the upgraded firmware to be recognized.

Chuck

Guest guest

Can you do them once they are outside set up? I would think the answer would be yes as each is individually numbered. The reason I ask it is a little time consuming to do each board when you have 20 or so.

Now back to my orginal question, I have four green boards and 15 blue boards. So I would need to download each type of firmware but not install? Or do I install both and when I upgrade each board then just use that one. For some reason this is just not making sense here on my end. One thing for certain is I do not use the LED lights. I just think they are way too much money for the power savings for only 30 days use. Besides I love quantity as I can buy over 1600 mini lights for the cost of some strings of LED's.

Guest guest

Robin wrote:

Can you do them once they are outside set up? I would think the answer would be yes as each is individually numbered. The reason I ask it is a little time consuming to do each board when you have 20 or so.

Now back to my orginal question, I have four green boards and 15 blue boards. So I would need to download each type of firmware but not install? Or do I install both and when I upgrade each board then just use that one. For some reason this is just not making sense here on my end. One thing for certain is I do not use the LED lights. I just think they are way too much money for the power savings for only 30 days use. Besides I love quantity as I can buy over 1600 mini lights for the cost of some strings of LED's.

Robin,

Yes you can do the firmware upgrade after all is setup. However, if something does not go well that would not be the best time to find out.

Dan stated what the fixes were, so if your not using either of those situations I do not think you need to upgrade. Unless of course you just want to stay current. Personally, I perfer to just stay current even if I do not use the "features" at this time. Saves me headaches later trying to locate.

Yes download both versions. You would then need to know what type board is at what address in your setup. There is no way of telling from the hardware utility that I am aware. Then in the hardware utility, simply select the firmware tab at the bottom and then select the radio button that says select from list above. Select the controller from the dropdown list at the top. Then select the file to load. Lastly select the download button.

I hope that Ihave helped and clouded the issue further.

Chuck

Guest guest

OH MY GOD THIS SOLVES MOST OF MY PROBLEMS!!!

Wonderful! Can you tell I'm really happy about this? Some of my channels (varied from song to song) had a really annoying flicker near low voltages. Totally fixed that problem! Awesome!

Remaining LED question...

Near low voltages, there is now only some very slight flicker that I can live with. Is this the expected nature of LEDs and SSRs at low voltage? Depending on the brand and color of LED, I see it at 2-20%. All lights on the same LOR seem to flicker in the exact same way.

Guest guest

Well to avoid problems I think I will do the upgrade before tear down. Just a lot easier to do it when they are all hooked up than to do each, one at a time. Not a problem knowing which ones are green and blue. Just open door and look!:laughing: