Light-O-Rama Forums

controller cant be found by hardware (Please Help)!!!!!!!!!

cvlrs2000

The controller powers up and the red light comes on steady after the cat 5 is hooked up, but it comes up port not found when I search for it.

all cables are good. I can hook same connections into another controller and works fine.

Please help if you can!

If the red light stops blinking doesn't that mean that it is connecting to the computer?

I appreciate your time and have a happy thanksgiving.
Jeremy

What card are you using? The DC card has a couple dials to turn to give it an address. A PC card you give it an address through Hardware Utility program. When the card is linked to the computer the red led will be steady on, if the computer is in the utility, sequence editor or in enabled mode.

I'm sure someone will post soon with a better explanation.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you are try to use the hardware utility and it can't find the comm port on the computer.

Make sure that the LOR main utility is not running in the tray. That will hold on to the comm port not allowing the hardware utility to find the open port.

the lor utility is not in the tray. Im not sure what to do. I try it on multiple computers. the red light comes on like it is connected but it wont find it in the hardware.

When you say, you have tried on multiple computer, did you fully installed and register your software on each one? because the demo will not control the boxes.

I'm sure you have but . . .
did you reboot?
check your task manager and end process any LOR programs.
Unplug and plug in the usb interface, does the computer see it?
Try, rebooting with the USB interface unplugged and then plug it in.

It is the craziest thing i just hooked up the same computer and wires to another new controller that is out in the yard and it finds it quickly. could it be that the control board is messed up? It is brand new. All I had to do was hook up the plug wires. I have a total of 14 controllers and this is the only one it will not find.

Scott, thanks for your help and yes I have it loaded on 4 computers in my house.

Does anyone know if Dan or anyone will be around tomorrow?

If anyone thanks of something please let me know.

In the hardware utility make sure your Max unit id is set high enough. It looks for units from 01 to this number.

I am confused on what your problem is. Do you want to control lights on all the the computers? I presume you have a good usb driver on all of them and you are moving your adapter between them and rerouting the cable.

If you have them all going except one, it can only be a few things.

Your unit id is not what you think it is..
You have a bad cable or cable connection.
Your max unit is not set high enough.

thanks I put it up to 73 and it still says it finds 0.

Is there something on the board that might have got moved that will make this happen??

thanks to all that helping.
Jeremy

If your light is on solid, give this a try. Hook up only that controller to the computer ,open the hardware utility and using the change existing ID function set old ID to "any unit" and the set new unit ID to the number that you want it to be, then click on change unit ID.

Did you also try resetting the controller?

Suspect that it could be a bad comm chip also. Chip could be receiving but cant transmit or as someone suggested a bad solder joint if this was a kit. If you want to trouble shoot this. Check your solder joints at the back of the RJ-45 connectors and those around the comm chip and the large PIC chip. If these all seem to be good. Then swap the comm. chip with another boards comm chip. This might prove out a bad chip. Have seen a few others with this problem in the past. Not common, but does happen now and then.

This is not a kit. I bought it during a pre-sale and I had to hook the plug wires up. I will sure check the chip out though. maybe it is that.
thanks again

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Is it possible to connect the problem controller as the only controller on the line?

Yes it could be the RJ45 jack. If you can connect only the problem controller directly to the computer/adapter then try each of the jacks.

Chuck

chuck, the bad controller is in my house where it is warm. I have taken my laptop out to one controller in the yard and everything works fine. I come back inside and will not find it. the red light stays on like it is connected but computer will not find it so I can change the id.

im having a similar issue on a ctb16d blue board it will not recognize i disconnected the at 5 cables turned on the board and the led is constant on is there a way to reset a ctb16d blue board?