Light-O-Rama Forums

License Question

huskernut

I was using 4 of my 5 seats. I lost a hard drive so i had to rebuild my PC. I downloaded the S2 software back on the new drive and registered. So do I have to do anything to make sure I am at 4 seats? How can I check? How would LOR know that the original seat crashed with the hard drive???

Rick

While the local knowledge of the license was lost with the HDD, the license information that is filed with LOR was probably not lost with the HDD. Odds are good that you will still retain the seat. But you can always contact LOR support to be sure..

Sorry, there's currently no way to know, except by having someone here at LOR look it up for you. I would be happy to do so, if you want; please send me (bob@lightorama.com) your license info (name, email address, and license key), and I will look it up for you.

Also, licensed customers shouldn't really be too worried about running out of seats due to issues like this - if it turns out that you don't have enough seats because of a hard drive crash or whatever, just contact LOR Customer Support, and they will take care of the situation for you.

• 4 weeks later...

bob wrote:

Sorry, there's currently no way to know, except by having someone here at LOR look it up for you. I would be happy to do so, if you want; please send me (bob@lightorama.com) your license info (name, email address, and license key), and I will look it up for you.

Also, licensed customers shouldn't really be too worried about running out of seats due to issues like this - if it turns out that you don't have enough seats because of a hard drive crash or whatever, just contact LOR Customer Support, and they will take care of the situation for you.

I'm in the process of reinstalling a new copy of LOR on my laptop. I had removed an older copy at one time, and I want to reinstall it so I can start this years sequences. My shows run from my desktop. Now my question is in regards to the license? I have the Advance copy. I have noticed that every time I request it via email, it says I have 5 seats. Whats this mean? I have had it installed on 2 machines at once. But it has always said that. So when does this go down? DON'T, get me wrong, I don't want it to go down I was just wondering what factors do this?

Also I noticed today when I got the email, it said this:

Max Version: 2.9 (and any future versions released by July 7, 2010)

So you mean to tell me that, after 7/7/10, if you do update versions, or go passed version 2.9. I'll have to buy another key for $140!

That's bull! I read on the site for the software! What does this mean?

Free Upgrades (minor releases)
Free Major Upgrades (one year)

So what if you do any "major" upgrades after the year? Whats "THAT" going to cost? its not listed on your site!

And what's a "minor" release "YOUR" eyes?

So in my case I will not get major updates after 7/7/10, but all minor up to v2.9? So what about after v2.9?

Wow, Anyone else have these issues, or want to help me to understand?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

[snip] I have noticed that every time I request it via email, it says I have 5 seats. Whats this mean? [snip] Also I noticed today when I got the email, it said this:

Max Version: 2.9 (and any future versions released by July 7, 2010)

So you mean to tell me that, after 7/7/10, if you do update versions, or go passed version 2.9. I'll have to buy another key for $140!
[snip]
Free Upgrades (minor releases)
Free Major Upgrades (one year)

So what if you do any "major" upgrades after the year? Whats "THAT" going to cost? its not listed on your site!

And what's a "minor" release "YOUR" eyes?

So in my case I will not get major updates after 7/7/10, but all minor up to v2.9? So what about after v2.9?

Wow, Anyone else have these issues, or want to help me to understand?

The issue of major vs minor is handled in a sticky thread (and ny_yankee_25 has already discovered that poste so we will not cover it here). One thing I want to make clear is that a LOR software license never expires you can continue to use the software forever. We have been pretty fair when it comes to licenses. We allow the software to be installed on up to 5 machines (5 seats) and this is way beyond the 1 or 2 seats allowed by many companies.

An important issue that was brought up here is, what will it cost to get a major upgrade after owning the software for 1 year. Currently no one has ever paid for a major upgrade. That is because we have adjusted the software purchase dates in the database so that it appears that no one has had the software for more than a year. Even people who purchased the software in 2003 have their purchase dates set in the license database to June of 2009 so they have had free access to all software upgrades!

However this year things will change. We will no longer be bumping the purchase dates on the software so when the 1 year is up, your software will continue to run BUT if you want to take advantage of a new feature in a major update, there will be a small charge to renew the license.

There are two ways that a person can renew their license. One way is for customers who currently own the basic, basic plus or standard version of the software. If they purchase a upgrade they also renew their license purchase date. The other way is to purchase a license renewal.

We have not come up with the renewal price but it will be tiered based on license level. For advanced I expect that it will be less than $30. To reiterate, you do not need to purchase a license renewal. It is optional and your software will continue to run using your original license. You only need to renew your license if you want a feature in a major release and have already owned the software for more than a year.

Another question we get a lot is: If I purchase new hardware will I need to upgrade my software to use it? I cannot promise that we will never have a piece of hardware that will need the latest software to run BUT I can tell you that to date, any version of LOR light controller firmware can run with any version of LOR Software. Even with the new Gen2 firmware (Generation 2 firmware to be released this year), the controllers will continue to run on any version of LOR software.

One important thing will happen this year with regards to licenses: We will make the hardware configuration a separate entity not covered by license. Thus as we release new hardware or new firmware for existing hardware, the configuration software will be available regarless of license. Thus if someone upgrades their controllers to the new Gen2 Firmware they will not be forced to upgrade their PC software to take advantage of the many new configuration options.

Dan