Light-O-Rama Forums

copy paste issue

ainsworth

I'm using XP with 2.7.4.

I have set up a file that has recurring patterns I use (master), and I have set the timing grid in the master so the pattern is in one cell.

I then paste the master pattern into a music sequence (cell size in the music sequence is beat based usually), and copy and paste the pattern within the music file.

Every now and then, the copied pattern gets a blank space inserted. This usually occurs in the early part of the pattern, and it is usually .01 or .02 seconds in length. The only way I have figured out to get rid of the blank is to paste that cell from the master. It seems that no matter where I copy the pattern from within the music sequence, I end up with the blank being inserted.

Am I doing something that is causing this, or is it a function or the program?

Thanks
Bruce

Are you using "Paste By Cell" or "Paste By Time"?

If "Paste By Cell", what that means is that the copied events will be stretched or shrunk to fit into the cells you're pasting them to; if that would make some event shrink to be less than one centisecond long, that event is skipped. Depending on what's around that skipped event, that might make it look like a blank space has been inserted.

If this doesn't match up with what you're seeing, then the next time you notice it, could you please hit "Undo" (to undo the paste), then save the file, then send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of it, and tell me exactly what I should copy and exactly where I should paste it to, plus which paste mode I should use (i.e. "Paste By Cell" or "Paste By Time")? Thanks.

Bruce,

I do the same thing with some of my display elements, except that instead of saving the pattern in one cell I set up my master file in .05 increments and save the pattern in individual cells like how it was created. Almost all my sequences are beat-based and before pasting a pattern in, I first subdivide the beats at whatever speed I want the pattern to move. I have the paste mode set to cell. Then when I paste the pattern there's no issue with blank spaces.

Thanks George. I got the idea of using a single cell in one of the discussions on the forum in another thread on creating masters. The reason I use the single cell method is I don't have to do any math. Bob was very fast in looking at the issue for me. I have a work around until the next update comes out.

Just working on my 2 new Robin Wheels. Creating patterns is almost as fun as sequencing. What a great element the wheel is!!!!

Bruce

Bruce and Bob,

Thank you collectively for identifying this issue before I tripped over it. I've used the single cell paste scaling a fair bit already with good results, but so far I've not experienced this issue. I'm sure it would have got me sometime in November while I had no time to deal with it...

Kevin -

I use the technique extensively and often see issues when pasting into "tight" spaces. I get what seems to be "rounding errors" where the resulting (pasted) pattern is no longer accurate to the original, which was originally laid out using a wider timer interval. Interestingly, if I subdivide the intervals I am pasting from and to using equal values this seems to smoothen things out quite a bit.

Fabian