Light-O-Rama Forums

Animation vs Channel Configuration

jimswinder

Okay..so in reading other posts I THOUGHT that the Animation Visualizer was linked to the Channel Configuration, but today when I made changes in my Channel Configuration, such as changing the colors of the channel, I thought I would see the change in the animation Visualizer also, but I didn't. Even after Exporting the Channel Configuration and then Importing the new Channel Configuration I didn't see the change.

Also, I made some changes in the Animation Visualizer (added some pixels), Exported as a new Channel Configuration, Imported the new Channel Configuration, opened the Animation Visualizer and all my changes were not there!!

And a third note...when I am in the Animation Visualizer and click on the "Draw" radio Button, 3 of my Channels are repeated at the end of the list. I thought it might be because I had some "Copied Channels" in one of my other Tracks, but that was not the case.

So obviously, once again, I am doing something wrong and I am sure it is a simple fix...

EDIT:

Well...I tried saving it with a different File Name this time and it worked as I expected it would. Seems strange that it would not work overwriting an existing file.

I'm stumped too. I'm used to seeing changes I make in a channel's color appearing instantly in the animation view. I suppose we can't completely rule out operator error, but I think you'd really have to out do even yourself this time around if that's the case Jim. If it doesn't happen again, I'd just chalk it up to some weird computer glitch and try to forget it even happened.

Hmmm... this seems to be working for me. Changing a channel's color immediately changes it in the Animator's display, and importing channel configuration into a sequence sets the Animation like it is in the channel config file.

What version of software are you using?

Is it possible that the Animation cell that you expected to change color actually uses a different channel than the channel that you changed?

And a third note...when I am in the Animation Visualizer and click on the "Draw" radio Button, 3 of my Channels are repeated at the end of the list. I thought it might be because I had some "Copied Channels" in one of my other Tracks, but that was not the case.

The Animator's channel list lists the channels of the first track, in order, then the channels of the second track, in order, even if they are in the first track, and so forth. So I would think that the three channels at the bottom of your Animator's channel list are the last three channels of your last track. Is that not the case?

bob wrote:

What version of software are you using?

**The latest you guys just put out**

Is it possible that the Animation cell that you expected to change color actually uses a different channel than the channel that you changed?

**Nope...the real problem was it was not saving ANY of my changes.**

The Animator's channel list lists the channels of the first track, in order, then the channels of the second track, in order, even if they are in the first track, and so forth. So I would think that the three channels at the bottom of your Animator's channel list are the last three channels of your last track. Is that not the case?

**The three tracks listed at the bottom of the pull down list were some of the first channels in my Track 1 ( of 7 Tracks)**

Bob...I don't know what I was doing wrong, other than trying to Export the new Channel Configuration as the same file name and overwriting the existing file. Each time it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the existing file, I said "yes", but it did not seem to save my changes. It only saved the changes when I actually Exported the Channel Configuration and saved it as a new file name.

Knowing my recent track record of having quite a few "operator error" moments, I would chalk this one up to that also...

Well, if you can get this to happen again, could you please send me the unmodified sequences and then tell me exactly how to modify them to reproduce this behavior?

Thanks.

bob wrote:

Well, if you can get this to happen again, could you please send me the unmodified sequences and then tell me exactly how to modify them to reproduce this behavior?

Thanks.

Sure will...I still have the Channel Configuration that it was doing it on, so I will see if I can reproduce it tonight.

Did you have 2 sequences open?

You could change the color of a channel on 1 and accidentally look at the other sequence which will not be changed.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Did you have 2 sequences open?

I don't think I did (there would have been no reason for me to have two open) but anything is possible...