Light-O-Rama Forums

Ideas on how to secure controllers

PaulXmas

I too agree with Brian.

The only reason I did mine, is I wanted the ease of just dropping a pole in a hole, and your done. The only BIG neg to this, changing around controllers are a hassle year to year. This was built for my leaping arches, thus the reason for custom cable on it too. I figured I would not be loosing my arches for as couple of years.

I sneak outside after dinner and take some more pictures of details.

Not really all that big of a deal, just some scrap angle iron I had laying around, welded together to make the frame. Hardest part of the whole thing was lining up the holes in the wooden box to drill inline with the welded nut on the frame.

My bigger concern with this setup it allows critters to get up under there. Was going to take some wire net around bottom after cords, but never did. Luck out this year with no critters.

jimswinder wrote:

Several people have mentioned using the fence posts, which I think is a great idea...but they also say when the ground freezes, it would be difficult to pull out. Well...not all of us live in the frozen tundra of Northern Minnesota!! LOL

Living in Seattle, and getting a lot of rain in December would make the ground very soft and therefore very easy to pull out a stake or two. :cool:

I know for sure that when my ground was soggy, there was no way I was able to pull out the 2 side by side posts at the same time (which is what it would require if the controller was attached to them). Only once the controller was off could I deal with the posts individually and then pull them out. Even then, they weren't "very easy" to pull out, due to the the spade at the end of the post that anchors them into the ground about 18" deep. Being my first year, I wondered if I might need to drive a 3rd post (in a triangle configuration) deeper (~30") and could chain my controller to this deeper anchor point, but quickly realized that that wouldn't be needed (though may be another option for some). For those considering fence posts, I am very pleased with this approach--ease of setup, cheap, and clean look after removal. Definitely planning to continue this method with my expansion of more controllers this year. (and fortunately Ohio is not a frozen tundra.)

I too use a fence post but have made a bracket to hold the unit to the post.
I also purchased some 3/8 braided security cable (LOWES) that has loops at each end. I put the cable around a tree (tall one) feed the one end loop through the other loop end then using a padlock, lock the look to the controller.

L

Attached files 200828=11165-PC070146.JPG