Light-O-Rama Forums

My Electric Chair

David Conley

I just had to share this. It took 3 solid days of work to build it, but it's done. There are no screws or nails. It's all Mortice, Tenon, and Peg. Wouldn't want the electricity taking any unauthorized shortcuts and denying the full effect to the condemed. It weighs about 100 pounds and I think will last just about forever. It still needs to be accessorized with leather straps and some wiring, and also aged and waxed. This is a chair to die for (or in).

Attached files 200581=11153-100_2288.JPG

Looks beautiful. I am sure picture doesn't do it justice, me being a wood worker myself.
Was wondering why you choose Pressure treated over a nice hardwood, since your taking the time to seal and wax it?

cenote wrote:

Was wondering why you choose Pressure treated over a nice hardwood, since your taking the time to seal and wax it?

That was my first thought also...but I guess the weather around Halloween "screams" for pressure treated wood...

Nice job!! Can't wait to see it "lit up"!!

Ohm, Jim I believe you are wrong. Watt were you thinking?? Hardwood volt hold up.

OK , sorry about that, just could not resistor.

shfr26 wrote:

Ohm, Jim I believe you are wrong. Watt were you thinking?? Hardwood volt hold up.

OK , sorry about that, just could not resistor.

okay...I have nothing!! lol

shfr26 wrote:

Come on Jim, you conduit!!

I know you are a "fixture" of this forum, but you gotta quit using this "outlet" for your sick attempt at comedy and I re"fuse" to be your enabler anymore... I am sure the rest of the "gang" here will want to stay "neutral" on this topic. I know you think this sort of humor is "current", but this forum is "overloaded" with smartasses already (like me). :shock:

Sorry to be so "short" with you, but this conversation needs to be "terminated"...

So, in the words of Rowan and Martin..."Socket" to me... :D

shfr26 wrote:

Jim,

You win sir, I can not top that. And I am" positive "about that.

LOL...never challenge an Aries Ram.... :cool:

I still think your "conduit" was hilarious... it still makes me laugh...

jimswinder wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Come on Jim, you conduit!!

I know you are a "fixture" of this forum, but you gotta quit using this "outlet" for your sick attempt at comedy and I re"fuse" to be your enabler anymore... I am sure the rest of the "gang" here will want to stay "neutral" on this topic. I know you think this sort of humor is "current", but this forum is "overloaded" with smartasses already (like me). :shock:

Sorry to be so "short" with you, but this conversation needs to be "terminated"...

So, in the words of Rowan and Martin..."Socket" to me... :D

The animosity on this forum is "shocking"!

Whoda thunk a chair would "generate" so much electrical humor. I'm glad I could provide an "outlet" for it. I chose pressure treated for one reason. Storage. It's going to sit out in the back yard in the off season. Fear not...once it dries I plan to give it a nice oak stain. I chose wax because I want that 200 year old finish look. I don't want it to shine. I think the wax will closely simulate melted skin oils and lots of dying man sweat. The mortices are quite rough. I considered picking up a dedicated morticer from Harbor Frieght just looking for an excuse to get one), but ot would have made the joints too clean. Not something I want to have to do again. Now that the glue is all nice and dry I'll break out the sander and smooth down all of the pegs. Also this weekend I assenbled thew pneumatic that will shake the convict. I used an old screen door closer. It has great power. The electric valve that I'm using is open at rest so it will be able to release the pressure quickly and the piston has an internal spring assist. I should be able to shake him at aout 10 cycles per second. This is just way too much fun!

shfr26 wrote:

Last time I promise, if it is for holleween, I hope you use "Vampire Plugs"

LMAO... EXCELLENT!!!

David Conley wrote:

Also this weekend I assenbled thew pneumatic that will shake the convict. I used an old screen door closer. It has great power.

WOW!!!

I am AMP'd to see this!!! I may just have to come out and visit my brother in Maryland at Halloween and make a trip down to Virginia to see this thing in action!!!

• 1 month later...

Looks good

What we do for our FIRE companys haunted house we have a wooden chair with some kind of head thingy with a lamp wire attached to it going to nowhere and we have straps attached to it

for the set up we have a service disconnect that is modifed so that it will not lock on we have some kind of motor or something else that makes a loud grinding noise also attached to the service disconnect is 2 strobes if I can get a video of it working I will send it in.

• 1 month later...