Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing a sequence into another...

Mike Downey

jimswinder wrote:

Okay....If I Copy and Pasted the channel (from Track 1 into Track 2), as opposed to using "Copy To Other Track" (from Track 1 to Track 2) then I would have a static copy in Track 2, so if I was not done with that original Channel in Track 1, it would not be updating in Track 2...where I would be needing to see the updates...unless (per the origianl statement) I was done sequencing that channel in Track 1. I guess you'd have to re-copy and paste it each time after you update it in the original track. That's the price you need to pay for the way you want to do things at present.

Maybe I sequence differently than you do George. Yes, I think you do. That doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong though. As you get more experienced you'll find plenty of ways on your own to economize effort and time. Let's look at the first 10 seconds of a song. I sequence ALL my channels for that 10 seconds, then move on to the next 10 seconds. Perhaps, by your statement, you sequence one channel (or track) for the WHOLE song, then move onto the next channel (or track), so that channel/track is completely sequenced and then could be copied into another track without the worry of it changing. You're correct - I generally sequence one track at a time. I always start with my beat trees and do that track first. Then I move to the things I envisioned as being featured for that particular piece, or else whatever I feel like working on next.

Perhaps I should create a "beat" channel like others do...but I guess because of the way I sequence, I don't know what "beat" I am going to use until I get to that portion of the song. As mentioned previously, I almost always use the Beat Wizard. I don't know either until I get there what multiple of that I might use on a particular part of a song. I have beat channels in most of my tracks in my saved configuration. When I run the beat wizard on a given track, what I do with the beat channel is to have it turn on for every other beat for the entire length of the song. Then, no matter how many cells I might divide a beat into, I'll still be able to tell easily and exactly where each beat begins and ends.

when you want to insert a different timing, using the method like you suggested, it doesn't work if you have a copied channel from a different track, because then it screws up the timings for the track from which the channel was copied...

I don't understand what you're saying here; could you please explain it again?

Inserting a timing doesn't take the channels into account. It shouldn't matter what channels are in a track when you insert a timing into that track's timing grid.

bob wrote:

I don't understand what you're saying here; could you please explain it again?

Hey Bob,

did you see my post after the one you quoted above? I explained it again after that one.

Yes, I saw it, but no, I don't understand. I think you are saying that if you have copied a channel from track 1 into track 2, and you delete some timings in track 2's timing grid and then add some more timings to it, you will have screwed up the timing grid of track 1.

And I think you're furthermore saying that if you didn't have that channel in track 2, then deleting and inserting timings would not screw up the timing grid of track 1.

Is that what you're saying?

If so: Deleting and inserting timings pays absolutely no attention to what channels are where. Also, deleting and inserting timings in one timing grid has absolutely no effect upon the timings in any other timing grid.

But let's back up here for a minute: I think that your original question was this:

let's say I have a channel copied from Track 1 into Track 2 (so I can see where a particular beat starts and stops).

And now I want to do your Step 2 "Delete Selected Timings" in Track 2.

Anyway I can have that happen just in Track 2 and not have it effect the same timings in that time span in Track 1 with out removing the copied Channel from Track 2?

Maybe you're just saying you don't want to "lose" the timings that you already have set up? You don't want them affected by deleting some of them, or inserting new ones?

If so, perhaps try "Duplicate to new freeform grid", then select that timing grid, then do the delete/insert timings stuff in that new timing grid.

Your old timing grid will still be available, unchanged, and you can switch back to using it at any time you want.

bob wrote:

If so, perhaps try "Duplicate to new freeform grid", then select that timing grid, then do the delete/insert timings stuff in that new timing grid.

Your old timing grid will still be available, unchanged, and you can switch back to using it at any time you want.

That is what I did ("Duplicate to new Freeform Grid").

Let me do some other testing tonight, but I don't think you are yet understanding my dilemma.

I will try and do some screen shots so it is easier to understand. :cool:

bob wrote:

And I think you're furthermore saying that if you didn't have that channel in track 2, then deleting and inserting timings would not screw up the timing grid of track 1.

Is that what you're saying?

If so: Deleting and inserting timings pays absolutely no attention to what channels are where. Also, deleting and inserting timings in one timing grid has absolutely no effect upon the timings in any other timing grid.

If I remember correctly, Yes, that is what I am saying.

But (until I re-test tonight) I would have to disagree with your "If so" statement. I believe (again I will test again tonight and probably prove myself wrong lol) that when my "copied channel" from a Track (IE: Track 1) also residing in Track 2, and the timing is altered in Track 2, it also changed in Track 1.

If I understand you correctly, this should not happen if the Timing Grid in Track 1 is not named the same as the Timing Grid in Track 2. Right?

So, perhaps it is as simple as I have the same Timing Grids in each track...though I thought they were different. I will check when I get home this evening and report back to you.

George...you got some crow handy (again)? lol

If I understand you correctly, this should not happen if the Timing Grid in Track 1 is not named the same as the Timing Grid in Track 2. Right?

Mostly right. The names of the timing grids in the two tracks don't matter; what matters is whether the two tracks are using the same timing grid or not.

Obviously if they're using the same timing grid, then their timing grids will have the same name. But I'm not sure that two timing grids having the same name necessarily implies that they're the same timing grid - i.e. when you choose a name for a timing grid, I'm not sure that it won't allow you to give it the same name of a different timing grid that's already in the sequence.

But yeah, basically. Unless the two tracks are using the same timing grid, inserting or deleting a timing in one of them should have absolutely no effect on the other.

bob wrote:

Obviously if they're using the same timing grid, then their timing grids will have the same name. But I'm not sure that two timing grids having the same name necessarily implies that they're the same timing grid - i.e. when you choose a name for a timing grid, I'm not sure that it won't allow you to give it the same name of a different timing grid that's already in the sequence.

But yeah, basically. Unless the two tracks are using the same timing grid, inserting or deleting a timing in one of them should have absolutely no effect on the other.

Okay, then this raises a question in my mind...when I use "Duplicate to New Freeform Grid", and even though I name it differently, this new (duplicate) timing grid is going to be the same as the one I just duplicated from (but just with a different name) and doesn't really create a new and unique timing grid?

If this is true, then that is my problem...and if this is true, how does one "duplicate" (copy) but yet create a new independent Timing Grid?

Obviously I am doing something wrong or else someone else would have been having the same problem!! LOL

I am sure I will prove my ignorance once I get home and see what I have actually done. :)

No, "duplicate to new freeform grid" creates an entirely new timing grid. The grid you duplicated from and the grid you duplicated to are completely independent of each other.

The only thing they have in common is that the timings that are initially placed into the new grid are going to start at the same spots that there are timings in the old grid. You can move timings, delete timings, insert timings, or anything else in one of the two grids, and it won't affect the other grid at all.

bob wrote:

No, "duplicate to new freeform grid" creates an entirely new timing grid. The grid you duplicated from and the grid you duplicated to are completely independent of each other.

The only thing they have in common is that the timings that are initially placed into the new grid are going to start at the same spots that there are timings in the old grid. You can move timings, delete timings, insert timings, or anything else in one of the two grids, and it won't affect the other grid at all.

Hey Bob..

Thanks for your patience and walking me thru this...

Hey Bob...

As I expected after your accurate response, I am 100% sure that when I THOUGHT I had different Timing Grids in my different tracks, I more than likely had the same Timing Grid, as I could not recreate the problem having different Timing Grids in the different tracks.

Thanks Again...