Light-O-Rama Forums

How long do they last?

shfr26

I know LOR sells great products, but how long do controllers usually last ? Mine have only been used for one season, anybody have some that should be on social security? I'm sure some go bad and it depends on alot of factors but how about "as an average"?

Good question, but I have a feeling it is a long time. My guess is that there hasn't yet been one that just normal wear and tear led to it being beyond repair. But if and when that time comes, don't forget this:

Unconditional Lifetime Replacement Policy
Regardless of current end user, any LOR hardware device that fails for any reason (e.g. eaten by dog, no longer like color) can be replaced with the same or current equivalent unit for 60% of the current list price of the new unit. The end-user is responsible for shipping the old unit back to LOR and for the shipping costs of the new unit. In the event that there is no current equivalent for an LOR device, LOR will make every attempt to work something equitable out. LOR will also honor this policy for any other manufacturer’s device for which we currently have a comparable device.

In my experience with electronic components I have found that most components that will fail usually fail during the first hours of operation. Circuit boards on generators, light bars and control boards that last past the first 10 hours of operation will normally not fail after that. Light O Rama boards are in this category. We use these boards at times to control a lot of power/load and when pushed to the limits it causes problems or failures.

With that said there are things that will cause any circuit board to fail.

Overloading the components and abuse are the top of the list. If you search the boards you will find examples of other causes of failures such as bugs, lightening and other mishaps.

So to answer your question I have 7 controllers that have been in operation for 5 years and have not had any issues. I have a total of 32 controllers and these range in age from 5 years to two years of in service use, still no failures.

If you take the time to calculate your loads by channel and overall controller you should be able to keep your controller going strong. If you build your enclosures take the time to make sure they are water proof.

Anthony