Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating a Christmas Team

Redbirdruss

I have decided to jump from 16 channels to 96 Channels this year. Last year I did everything on my own and I spent countless hours hanging lights and sequencing. This year I am afraid it is going to take 2 X Countless hours.

My question is, how do you convince freinds and family to spend countless hours helping? Cash? Food? Fame?

If my friends helped, it would take THREE times as long...since I would have to redo everything they did... lol

George Simmons wrote:

Too bad you don't have any brothels in Missouri...

I already tried using the "ladies" to hang my decorations...

called them "Ladies of the Lights"... :shock:

Hey RedBirdRuss

I think asking for help with a particular thing is better than just help. Like I need help with the ladder in the tall trees it will take 3 hours.

The Saint Louis Area is having a gathering on May 1. This could be a topic for discussion.

http://itsmebob.com/SLAM/

Sure they will come over and help...help admire all the work I did!

I enjoy setting everything up.

friskybri wrote:

I usually get about 4 hours out of my wife. 10 minutes out of my kids. After that, its over.

WOW, 4 hrs, I am lucky to get 2..."my hands are cold", "It's to heavy", or the classic phone rings, and she disappears until I am done.

cenote wrote:

friskybri wrote:
I usually get about 4 hours out of my wife. 10 minutes out of my kids. After that, its over.

WOW, 4 hrs, I am lucky to get 2..."my hands are cold", "It's to heavy", or the classic phone rings, and she disappears until I am done.

Hey...they are still married to you aren't they?

How much more help could they give you!?!?! ;)

I have 2 co workers and my g/f helping sequence.On my website when i list the songs i will give credit to the person who sequenced the song.I also said that i may have a pole on there and let the public decide what song is the favorite.Can`t beat a little fun competition ;).The neat part is none of the 4 of us has ever sequenced a song untill now.192 channels makes it fun.Already planning more controllers for next year.

Guest Don Gillespie

I don't get any help setting up but come tear down time if the family wants to go on holidays they are all out there taking direction from me lights in shed #1 cords hung up in shed 2 and so on life is great setting up is still the best part especially when your out there for three hours and get one string of lights up because all your nieghbors are talking to you, oh well only another6 months to go before we all start some sort of set up. good luck

I find that if friends and family are not interested in the actual putting up of the lights (They always love the lights when they are up) then you will find it ends up being more trouble than its worth. You end up finding yourself being a supervisor that just keeps fixing and explaining things and then in the end you could have done it yourself in less time and with less trouble. If i convince friends or family (usually a bribe or a quick reminder of that job I helped you with) they will help so I make sure that I give them the jobs that I know they can understand and hopefully wont stuff it up (the tedious jobs that i just hate) but what I do do is every year Ill teach my young son a few things so he will become a great help in the years to come (cant do the same with the wife - cant teach an old dog new tricks:D)

Pulling the lights down is much easier and less time consuming thus getting help is much easier becuse the people helping you feel they dont need to know anything about what your doing they are just there to help pack up.

I do most of the decorations myself, I have 90,000 lights with 15 controllers.
My wife does the inside house decoration, but has helped outside on occasion. Only problem she wants to change my "engineering", and placing of displays. I keep firing her, but she said she was going to file an unfair labor practice with Santa.

I am retired, so I can devote more time than a lot of the guys here on the forum.
I do start before Halloween (no Halloween decorating) and finish for the most part on Thanksgiving.

Getting older, and display is always growing, will probably have to hire a couple of kids from the church, this year to help. Will probable have to offer them lunch also. That could be costly. Have you ever tried to fill up a teenager?

D&G Gillespie wrote:

oh well only another 6 months to go before we all start some sort of set up. good luck

6 Months?!?!?!

I have been welding and painting and designing since January every weekend.

Then sequencing EVERY night!!

And as soon as the paint is dry, then I get to start wrapping the 5 mini trees and 12 arches, then start hanging the lights on the 17' portable Weber tree!!

OMG..we only have 8 months left till the Thanksgiving Night lighting ceremony!!