Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring a CTB-16D

Guest guest

OK, I'm not an electrician but I know enough to be dangerous. In one of my applications, I have 4-way gang boxes in protected enclosures in the yard. The 'hot' tabs were broken to allow 8 separate channels on the 8 outlets in the gangs. The neutral tabs were not broken, and I 'daisy chained' them together and send one neutral wire back. This works with my older SSR setup but now I want to replace them with some 16Ds that I bought. The question is, can I still do this and have a single neutral wire coming back and connect to just one of the neutral ports of the 16D (for half of the channels, of course)?

Thanks in advance. I hope I explained this alright.

Scott

I don't know if this helps or not, but when I made the cables for my mega, I used 2 pieces of SPT2 (#16 wire) for 4 channel hots, and a single #14 wire for the neutral on those 4 channels. So, (as JRV indicated) if the wire is heavy enough to carry the load you can combine your neutrals into one wire.

jeff

JR V wrote:

Scott, I think the others will say the same thing. Is the neutral big enough wire to carry that load? What wire sizes did you use for these blocks?

Good point. All of these external blocks were used for mini trees so the total load is small. In fact, I used clear speaker wire for the hots. I used lamp cord for the neutral returns.

So from the sound of it, as long as I am mindful of the load, I can use one neutral terminal for all of them.

Thanks JR V!

Scott Reinhold wrote:

OK, I'm not an electrician but I know enough to be dangerous. In one of my applications, I have 4-way gang boxes in protected enclosures in the yard. The 'hot' tabs were broken to allow 8 separate channels on the 8 outlets in the gangs. The neutral tabs were not broken, and I 'daisy chained' them together and send one neutral wire back. This works with my older SSR setup but now I want to replace them with some 16Ds that I bought. The question is, can I still do this and have a single neutral wire coming back and connect to just one of the neutral ports of the 16D (for half of the channels, of course)?

Thanks in advance. I hope I explained this alright.

Scott

My first post!! :(

I saw a webpage last week where someone mounted their LOR controller in a box, and used the same method using wall outlets (IIRC they made their own gang box). I've been searching for the last couple of days but I cannot find this website. Anyone know which website this is?