Light-O-Rama Forums

using 2 computers

Donny M. Carter

i have a desktop with vista that i sequence on and run my show on. i want to buy a laptop because i work out of town alot and i could use down time to sequence, then come home and put it on my desktop. one os is vista and the new would be win7. will this work or do both systems need to be either vista or win7? thanks for the help!

I have no experience with Windows 7, but I (and a bunch of others) have successfully ported files back and forth between machines with Vista and XP. I don't think it makes any difference to LOR which OS you're using. What matters is making sure your directory structure where you store LOR files is the same on each machine and that your versions of LOR are the same on each machine.

Yes the difference in operating systems will work. One note of caution though. I recommend that you find a location that you can use the same path to the files. Otherwise, it is likely you will need to remap (find) your audio files each time you move a sequence from computer to computer. Also, i recommend that you have the same version of LOR on each computer.

Chuck

thanks for the help. next question. i know some people use netbooks and things like that, but how little memory is safe to have and still have plenty of space.

You can go as low as 512 MB (on an XP machine) and still have enough to work easily as long as you don't have a lot of other crap sucking up resources at the same time. The machine I do most of my sequencing on (XP) has 1G and my laptop (VISTA) also has 1G and they both work fine. I think almost everyone will tell you that no matter how much you have, the more the better, and you'll never be sorry for adding the extra horespower. I have LOR loaded on Sharon's net book, but the problem I have there is the screen size. With over 400 channels for this year it's a LOT of scrolling and that drives me nuts.

George Simmons wrote:

I have no experience with Windows 7, but I (and a bunch of others) have successfully ported files back and forth between machines with Vista and XP. I don't think it makes any difference to LOR which OS you're using. What matters is making sure your directory structure where you store LOR files is the same on each machine and that your versions of LOR are the same on each machine.

Gorge - time for you to make the plunge to 7 - get away from Vista - you'll be glad you did.

Lowell