Light-O-Rama Forums

Basic or basic plus

FischLights

Ok I just bought 2 CTB16PC from the sale, This is my first attemp with LOR, so I figure if I start in Fed. I'll be ready by Nov. I was wondering if I need Basic or Basic Plus? Can someone explain what 2 Tracks supported and 2/4 controllers supported means in basic and basic plus? I havn't downloaded anything yet, what the best way to do it?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just don't want to mess anything right of the bat.

You are supposed to get Basic free with a hardware purchase or get a discount on the another softwares. I myself bought the Advanced version because I did not want any limitations. if want to expand somewhere (ie two networks) I didn't want to worry about my software not supporting it.

It's really a matter of what you can afford right now because you can upgrade later. Like I said you should get a free Basic version with a hardware purchase.

Don't forget to buy either a USB-RS485 Communication Adapter or SC485-RS485 Serial Adapter so that your computer can talk to your new boards.

Have fun :(

kzaas wrote:

You are supposed to get Basic free with a hardware purchase or get a discount on the another softwares.

This discount that you are referring to is given when you purchase a Starter Kit from the Showtime Product line.

Don wrote:

kzaas wrote:
You are supposed to get Basic free with a hardware purchase or get a discount on the another softwares.

This discount that you are referring to is given when you purchase a Starter Kit from the Showtime Product line.
My apologies you are very right, didn't mean to steer him wrong.

FischLights wrote:

Ok I just bought 2 CTB16PC from the sale, This is my first attemp with LOR, so I figure if I start in Fed. I'll be ready by Nov. I was wondering if I need Basic or Basic Plus? Can someone explain what 2 Tracks supported and 2/4 controllers supported means in basic and basic plus? I havn't downloaded anything yet, what the best way to do it?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just don't want to mess anything right of the bat.

It sounds like you've already visited:

http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html

Two tracks refers to how many groupings of channels you're restricted to in the sequence editor. With a small number of channels this might not make much difference to you. The number of controllers supported means how many control boxes (and channels, essentially) the software restricts you to having.

The low-end levels of the software also have many useful features restricted like the Beat Wizard - in my opinion a newbie's best friend - so that's also somethig you should look at carefully before deciding. That feature alone might make the difference between sequencing being fun or being a nightmare.

I still kinda don't understand the tracks part. If I'm using 32 ch would 2 tracks be fine? I see there is no difference in basic and basic + with the amount of tracks.

Thanks for all your help.

How people use tracks tends to be fairly subjective and personal preference. To be honest, at 32 channels, you probably won't find it much of a restriction..

I tend to keep my first track as exactly the order the channels were added, for optimal ability to import new channel configs from year to year. Then I use several additional tracks, each with all the channels still in place, but sorted in different orders.

Others use different tracks for different subsets of their elements, so they can flip between elements more easily. Also, tracks have only existed for a couple of years, and we worked just fine without them...