Light-O-Rama Forums

midi wizard

Terry Hurrle

The short answer is to assist you in sequencing midi music files, enabling you to focus in on particular instruments and such.

You can do some pretty neat things with the MIDI Wizard, though only for MIDI files (not for MP3s, for example).

For example, you can set up chase patterns so that some of your channels chase each other in time to the music; you can do things like change the pattern, change the direction, and change the speed all on the fly, as the song is playing, so that the lights chase differently during different parts of the song.

Or, you can set channels up to turn on and off whenever particular notes are played on particular instruments. For example, whenever a "C" is played on the alto saxophone, Unit 1 Circuit 1 will turn on; whenever a "D" is played on it, Unit 1 Circuit 2 will turn on.

You can find more details in the help file's pages on the MIDI Wizard. The help file is installed along with the software, and the latest version (currently 2.7.4) is available online. The main page of the MIDI Wizard's portion of the help file can be found here:

http://lightorama.com/help/index.html?the_midi_wizard.htm

Have played with the MIDI feature, like how it knows the beats.

Is there any chance the Percussion parts can be added in the future?

That would be a much needed feature. I have MIDI songs with a lot of percussion but cannot use the wizard to add them, must do it manually which can make me miss a beat or add more beats than needed.

Hope it is worked on again soon in a near future release.

Regarding percussion support:

That's something we've thought about in the past, but have not gotten around to adding yet. I suggest emailing wishlist@lightorama.com with this suggestion, to help them gauge the demand for it.