Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem connect to LOR1600W

Guest guest

(First, I dunno if this is the right forum, or the Newbie forum)

I have my new LOR1600W plugged in. I have the USB485B adaptor, which was detected by my Winxp Laptop with no problems.

I have the LOR box connected to the USB adaptor (plugged into the middle on the LOR box).

The light is currently flashing red.

I am using the new .exe from the cd, and I do see the tabs as directed by the book.

In my PC Device Management, I see the adaptor as COM11 - when I unplug it, I see COM11 go away.

Problem 1 - my pc has another com11 (a Toshiba BT port), which I have disabled.

Problem 2 - I am using the hardware manager, but I do not see com11 as an option. Is there a way to get the USB adaptor to pick another com port?

Heeeeelp.

Off to run some searches. Thanks for any help!

Phil

No other cables in the house - figures.

Ok - I went for broke - I disabled the Toshiba BT on com10, and manually re-assigned the USB adaptor to com10 (which shows in the hardware utility). I got warnings that it was in use, but what the hey...

I re-ran the hardware utility, selected com10 - scanned - yup, light is solid, and it's found.

Dunno why my Toshiba Protege (tablet pc) is using around 12 com ports for BT.

..now to connect a light...

Last post for now - light tests work.

All that's left is to re-enable com11... and see if I have any problems with disabling toshiba's com10.

Of course, if there's a way to put this on an unused com, and have the hardware editor like it, that would be good too.

polstein7 wrote:

Last post for now - light tests work.

All that's left is to re-enable com11... and see if I have any problems with disabling toshiba's com10.

Of course, if there's a way to put this on an unused com, and have the hardware editor like it, that would be good too.

When the USB drivers installed they were supposed to select an unused port. I am not sure why the port number is so high. There is a table somewhere that lists the ports available... Once you install the USB adapter it will stick with the port selected. There is an unstall utility available from the USB Chip vendor. If you think you need to use this utility let me know and I will dig it up.

Edit: Actually posted by Dan.