Light-O-Rama Forums

Reflecting on the Psychedelic

David Conley

I just submitted a feature request that I’d like to share here. As I was driving home from work Friday, I was remembering something from my childhood called a Color Organ. It was a high school electronics project that took audio and flashed lights plugged into three outlets built in the box. Imagine in we could do that with 16 channels (or 32 or 64) instead of three. Sometimes I don't want to do complex programming for a musical show. I would just like to turn on a song and watch the lights. It could be like Media Player visualizations on a much grander scale. The application for parties alone would pull the controller out of the attic twice as often. I think that I would have one permanently mounted on the wall in my garage. Any thoughts?

Wow! Ask and ye shal receive. I guess that I should have googled it first. I downloaded the plugin and installed it. Didn't have the time to hook anything up to it yet, but I sure will tomorrow. I'd still like to see LOR put something out. It would make the software package a little more complete. Thanks for the link. Time to dust off the Hendrix and Floyd. My garage just for a little more fun.

I do like the plugin but maby a feature in the sequencer that will do full sequences this way because some times you end up with a song that is hard to do

I use Light Show Pro till LOR comes out with their RGB software...

Has an effect called SonoFX effect. You select several ranges of frequencies... I have done as many as 4 ranges... It will program your lights... I then export it to LOR and bam no programing and I have a sequence....

http://www.lightshowpro.com/content.php?164-Documentation

There is a trial version to try...

To each his own, but my take on the idea is that if you want to flash lights on and off to music more or less randomly, you can do it a lot more cost effectively than with LOR. LOR is more of a precision tool. I personally like the precision that is available with LOR.

Just my two cents worth...

D.T.

Yet another surprise. I went to thier website and am very impressed with the long list of features. I especially like the remote control via windows mobile. It is early in the version history so I would guess that it's still a little buggy. Get on the ball LOR! The wolves are nipping at your heels.

David Conley wrote:

Time to dust off the Hendrix and Floyd. My garage just for a little more fun.

Count me in! Where's your garage?

Send your software desires to wishlist@lightorama.com The more people who request a particular feature, the farther up the list it will probably go.

Personally, I'm with DT. For on/off blinky-blinky there's no need to spend a penny more than a Mr Christmas. Not much creative challenge or opportunity there though.

If that's the look you're looking for, you can do the same sort of thing pretty easily, and with far more control, using LOR's VU Wizard.

As a matter of fact I made extensive use of the VU feature last Halloween. We go camping during October and I needed a simple portable display. I created 6' wide by 10' tall VU meter using green, yellow, and red rope light. A few spots and some fog and I had a had a fitting Black Sabbath tribute. I decided on the theme because we has site 666 last year. I'll recycle a little of that concept for my home display this year. I have 10 strings of red rope that will create ribs goind down the length of the garage. by chasing them I can create a cool acceleration effect. I'll also VU them with a little Halloween rock music. Christmas is cool because the display is so much larger and you can stand back and enjoy. Halloween is an imersion into the effects. I just keep find new ways to tweak and enhance both. It's a hobby without end.

On a related item. One of the features of Light Show Pro is trhe ability to program a display matrix. I found one from the U.K. that is an 8x8 matrix (w/3 colors each), but it's 240V input. Anyone know of a similar unit built with U.S. standards?