Light-O-Rama Forums

America Funiest Videos

Dad02

They just showed Richard Holdman's display tonight 2/21 and announced they are looking for Christmas display videos for their Assignment America. Upload to ABC.com. for a chance to win $10,000

So, do you think there might be a problem with signing their "contract" due to this paragraph in it:

I AFFIRM THAT I HAVE NEVER SUBMITTED NOR GRANTED ANY RIGHTS TO THE VIDEO
TO ANY OTHER TELEVISION OR MEDIA ENTITY, ANY WEBSITE OR INTERNET SERVICE
OR OPERATOR/PROVIDER OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY, EXCEPT SUCH SUBMISSIONS AND
GRANTS AS I HAVE SET FORTH BELOW:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________
IF THE VIDEO HAS BEEN SHOWN OR DISPLAYED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC,
PLEASE LIST THE TELEVISION PROGRAM(S), WEBSITES AND/OR MEDIA OUTLETS
WHERE THE VIDEO HAS BEEN SHOWN OR DISPLAYED HERE:________________________

I would imagine we ALL have our videos either on YouTube or Vimeo...

evana wrote:

its asking for the list. put in youtube or vimeo

LOL...I knew what they were asking for...but because it has already been shown on another media, they then might not use the video...

I wasn't aware that posting videos on YouBoob or Vimeo constituted "granting rights". Plus, hasn't Holdman's video been seen elsewhere?

George Simmons wrote:

I wasn't aware that posting videos on YouBoob or Vimeo constituted "granting rights". Plus, hasn't Holdman's video been seen elsewhere?

Was just reading more of the 17 pages of documents they want you to sign off on after submitting a video...

I am no attorney but:

and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and adequacy of which
are hereby acknowledged, I irrevocably grant to you, your affiliates, licensees, successors and assignees (collectively, “you,” “your”) sole and exclusive ownership of all right, title and interest in and to the Video,

doesn't this give them the right to tell you that you cannot post (or if you have posted it) on YouTube or Vimeo that they could TELL you to take it down, since they would now own the right to said video??

I just looked at AFV and its not worth having to remove it from my own website. Who do they think they are? Why can't I display my own personal video on my own personal website. Forget it, It's not worth it.

LOL...I hadn't noticed that they answered my post!!

A side note...in their posts they would not allow the word "YouTube"...so I changed it to YouBoobTube...

jimswinder wrote:

LOL...I hadn't noticed that they answered my post!!

A side note...in their posts they would not allow the word "YouTube"...so I changed it to YouBoobTube...

I wondered why you were calling it that! LOL

Okay - I'll play obama's advocate here... I've got 30-some videos posted between the two sites. What difference does it really make if I have to take one of those videos down for ten grand? If they paid me three hundred grand I can say without hesitation that I'd yank every one of those videos in a heartbeat.

George Simmons wrote:

What difference does it really make if I have to take one of those videos down for ten grand?

No offense George...but I kinda doubt a Christmas Light Video would win the $10,000.

After all, it is Americas FUINNIEST Home Videos.... lol.

Besides...the guy who picks the final three has NEVER picked the three funniest in 20 years!!!

Guest Don Gillespie

Besides...the guy who picks the final three has NEVER picked the three funniest in 20 years!!!

I agree I like the link from AFV about not allowing video anywhere else who are they to say what we can do I say don't send anything and then maybe that show will be shut down for good, put Archie Bunker back on now thats a funny show. :D:D

jimswinder wrote:

Why should he? It appears that folks (like you apparently) seem to keep on watching just the same...

George Simmons wrote:

Why should he? It appears that folks (like you apparently) seem to keep on watching just the same...

Actually have not watched it in years. Only went to the site because of this post.

And besides...I just said he doesn't pick some of the funniest for the final three, they still show them during the show. :cool:

Simple answer to that.. Shoot a new video from a noticeably different angle + zoom. This creates a new video not under their control.

MAAAAYBE. I am not a lawyer nor did i sleep at a holiday inn.

to my knowledge it says I never had submited a video

but does it say that you never can

if not just repost it online after afv shows it

this is not legal advice

Nova5 wrote:

Simple answer to that.. Shoot a new video from a noticeably different angle + zoom. This creates a new video not under their control.

MAAAAYBE. I am not a lawyer nor did i sleep at a holiday inn.

How are we to shoot a new video, at a new video at a noticeably different angle and zoom when all of our lights are all packed away unitl the new season :(:(:?:?

Not worth all the paperwork, have to agree that they might look for a way to make fun of your work. Time to turn the tables, someone used to host Hollywood squares and this is funny......