Light-O-Rama Forums

the other application is busy

mshaw549

When I am in the Sequence Editor v2.6.2 and editing a sequence, when I have the play range set to Play visible section or selection, after about two or three times of playing, the editor seems to freeze and I get the following statement:”This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy. Choose ‘Switch To’ to activate the busy application and correct the problem”. Hitting the “Switch To..” or “Retry” buttons does not seem to fix anything. I have to go to the Task Manager and force the application to close.

Using Windows VISTA Home Premium with Service Pack 2 on a HP Pavilion tx2000 Notebook PC, AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Tech TL-62 2.1 GHz Processor with 3.00GB RAM. Nothing connected to PC.

Where do I need to look for the application that is locking up?

Any suggestions?
I’ve tried the LORRegistryWipe.exe, Updating all Windows Programs, rebooting, and uninstalling and reinstalling LOR. It helped for about an hour, but now I’m left with being sure I hit save every time before I hit play since it program crashes sometimes.

Attached files 198914=11093-LOR Error.jpg

It sounds like this could be an OLE error. LOR may use OLE to control Windows Media Player to play your music file. The article I found says "This error message usually occurs because the OLE activated application has an open dialog box and is expecting user input."

What this means, I don't know for sure. But you could try using ALT+TAB to switch over to the "open dialog box" and answer it. You could also try playing your music file directly from Windows Media Player and see if you get a message playing the file that way.

When exactly does it freeze? When you hit the play button? Or sometime after, while it's playing?

When you say that you updated all Windows programs, does that include Windows Media Player? I don't think that Windows Update gets the latest WMP for you (I could be wrong about that, though). And in any case, even if you have the latest WMP, sometimes reinstalling the latest WMP clears up strange issues.

• 7 months later...

I am having the same problem on a windows Vista laptop. I have been using vista on a desktop to sequence. I then transfered the sequences to a laptop. sometimes when I hit play it freezes and If I click on play or stop or any thing , I get the same message as in the above post. This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy. Choose switch to to activate the busy application and correct the problem. Neither of the choices work I am also going into Task manager to close the application. Does not happen everytime. and it happens on ramdom sequences not the same one .I have not had this to happen on the Vista desktop. I have played the sequences in simple show builder and so far no problem. So far it seems to happen if I have the visuliser open like when I want to tweak a sequence a little.

The only times that I personally have seen Windows give me a "the other application is busy" message (and I'm talking in general, not about LOR specifically) were when there was a dialog open that was waiting for my response (like "Do you want to continue? Yes/No").

Sometimes that dialog is hidden beneath another window. So, I would suggest minimizing windows and seeing if this reveals such a dialog.

Or, I suppose, that dialog could itself be minimized, so check all of your minimized windows as well.

Also, if you have multiple monitors, be sure to check your other monitors for it, too.

I don't know that this is the problem, but like I said, it has been every time that I personally have seen Windows give me that message.

When it happens to me I can't minimise Lor windows or do anything. It gives 2 choices Switch to and Retry, I have tried both, nothing happens have also tryed to minimise ,close lor get the popup window everytime . The only way I have been able to get out is Ctrl .Alt.and the task manager pops up and the only thing that it shows running is lor sequence editor and lor visuliser. But I did notice at least one time it showed CPU was at 100%.

Thanks for the replies , Not sure about what is using all the CPU but the next time it happens I will try the processes tab to see if I can determine what is using all the resources. Will get back to you if and when it happens again. Thanks Bob.