Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR on windows 7 question

cmoore60

I just recently upgraded my laptop. The new computer has Windows 7 Home Premium. The attached pdf is a screen shot of what I do not understand.

The 2 files with the little padlock on them, I do not understand why.

Any help is appreciated. I have already emailed Bob@lightorama with the same info. But it will not be until Monday or Tuesday before he will reply.

Chuck

Attached files LOR snapshot.pdf

Chuck,

I honestly don't know on this one. I have been running S2 on Windows 7 since Win 7 came out and don't have anything like that. Are those the only sequence files that are like that? Do the other .lms files open properly?

Thank You!

I did figure that it was to do with permissions. BUT this is my first exposure to windows 7 and therefore not familiar with all the settings.

Looks like that website that was provided could answer many of my questions.

Chuck

Chuck, what I did to solve the problem with Windows 7 here was to have all the audio and sequence files located in a folder directly below the user home folder, in my case C:USERSGARY. I just created a Loghtorama folder there and the AUDIO and SEQUENCE folders under that.

-Gary-

I have my lightorama folder under the c drive. I have them in the same place on my show computer. This way when I build my sequences and copy them and the audio over. The path to the audio does not have to be redefined.

Chuck

After doing some more reading I'm thinking the locked files could be a problem if more than one user account needs to access them. I don't know if these settings transfer with the file when it is shared. But if they do, we could see a bunch of "why can't I open this sequence someone sent me" posts.

It sounds like this is part of the User Account Control (UAC) which first came about in Vista. I found an article on how to grant permissions to other users. But it sounds like a lengthy procedure.
http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

It also looks like you can disable the UAC. But I'm sure there are other nasty things you are allowing if you do that.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Disclaimer: I'm not an IT guy and I have limited experience with Vista and Windows 7. Maybe someone with more knowledge can step in and provide a better explanation.

cmoore60 wrote:

I have my lightorama folder under the c drive. I have them in the same place on my show computer. This way when I build my sequences and copy them and the audio over. The path to the audio does not have to be redefined.

Chuck

Be advised that Windows 7 does NOT, by default, allow access to the root directory of a hard drive, only to the folders that are under the user directory currently logged in. I found this out when I tried to run Light-O-Rama the first time and tried to save changed files.

-Gary=

If by default it will not allow writing to the C drive but only subfolders. I do not understand because from NEW this would allow me to copy the files from the other computer to this one with no problem.

As I said, this is my first exposure to windows7 and the learning curve has been steep at times. Some things I like, some I have been frustrated over. The jury is still out as whether I like it or not.

Chuck

Also, if you ever saved your files to a CD for sharing or backup, they will usually get marked as Read Only when you copy them from the CD.