Light-O-Rama Forums

Need RS232/RS485 help (RDS)

bhays

Okay, I have an EDM-LCD-RDS transmitter, rds works fine via direct serial port connection with the supplied cable which has a DB9 on one end and mini-usb on the other.
EDM-TX-RDS.jpg
EDM-TX-RDSb.jpg
EDM-TX-RDSc.jpg

However, I need to locate it physically quite a distance from the PC and wanted to use a serial over IP device to do so. I purchased a Startech RS-232/422/485 Serial over IP Adapter to use for that purpose.

I have the serial over IP adapter set up and working fine as well with the virtual serial port on the pc. After losing several hours fighting this, I have learned that the MiniRDS communicates using synchronous data rather than asynchronous as most serial devices. But, my Startech unit supports RS485/422.. which are synchronous, correct? So I should be able to make this work.
Here's the setup page from the Startech device and the pinout info from the manual.
startechoptions.jpg
pinout.jpg

So I guess I need to go to Ratshack and get a DB9 connector, but how do I wire out? Can anyone help?

Hi

Don't have an answer to your config and/or wiring problem

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/rs232cat5.html

this is an rs232 to cat5 range extender

have not used this type but have used industrial versions and they work well

do not have info on industrial version and I would assume

their price would be hi.

The one above is not inexpensive

Frank A.:D

On the forum at pira.cz someone told me that the problem is that the miniRDS communicates synchronously vs asynchronously and that no serial over IP adapter could deliver synchronous signals... but that doesn't make sense given that the converter is equipped for RS485/422 and they were not familiar with the Startech unit.

I am wondering if I just need to match the pinout from the RS485 terminal on the converter to the pins on the cable with the transmitter that has a 9 pin serial connector on one end and a mini-usb on the transmitter end...is it converting from asynchronous at the pc com port to synchronous on the transmitter end?

bhays,

Have you gone and looked at the signal voltages for RS-232 vs RS-422 and 485? It is possible that there is going to be a compatibility problem with the voltages. If I were you, I would look at things like this before you spend money and maybe burn something up.

My Grandfather would say that you are going off half cocked. Dont presume, presumtion can get you killed or destroy something.

Just saying........

My situation is that my show computer is located in my office next to my other pc on a kvm switch.. two video cables on a splitter run from it for two projectors during the show.. so really would hate to move it.. the transmitter is in the garage next to the network switch and wiring panel for the house..I have network there, but no spare cat5 cable to run serial over.. (I could split the cable and use two pairs for network and two for serial and will do so if I must)

So, I really need to figure out a way to use the network connection.

I am going to try a different approach. I have a usb-serial adapter that works fine with the RDS and from what I have read, usb-serial adapters work well with usb over ip.. so I am going to use usb over ip to get to the garage, then plug the usb-serial adapter into that.. should work from experience of others.

I've had to drag a serial cable across the room the last three years for X10 due to issues with the subpanel my office is powered from (bridge in the panel didn't do the trick).. so I am going to use the serial over ip adapter to move the CM11A out to a circuit off the main panel in the garage...

Plus, I use VGA Baluns to run video to the projectors.. so it's quite the complicated wiring mess...:D

I think the USB extension may be one of the best ideas so far. But I will caution that it is more complicated than just sync vs async. As I understand it, the RDS data is not on the serial data pins at all. But rather, they are using the handshaking pins (CTS/RTS, or similar) to pretend to be an I2C communication buss. This implies that they have to be able to assert, or clear, or report the state of these pins fairly accurately through the remote solution. And they are exactly the pins that are generally considered lowest priority to pass along in a timely fashion...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

bhays

any chance of getting a sketch with part numbers

would be great for future reference

Frank A.