Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Software RAM problem( Resolved )

Guest guest

Hi, I am brand new to this stuff, but I dowloaded the LOR demo program and it is extremely easy to use and everything, but there seems to be a memory leak or something of that sort. I have 1 gb of ram, but as soon as I open LOR and create a simple music project, the Windows Task Manager shows LOR is using around 82 megabytes of ram, which is a ton! And, when I was adding the lighting events, it went up to a whopping 320 mb of ram used (by LOR alone), until the program froze, and I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it to close it. It was a 1.5 minute song (really short) with 1000 events (The Tapper Wizard was hard to do, so I did edit->insert multiple events->1000.)

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thanks

P.S. Here's my system info:
3 ghz processor
1 gb ram
Windows XP Home SP2

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing, the Demo version of LOR that I have is version 1.4, so maybe this is not the most current version of the commercial version of the program?

I use the demo software also, and I have found that there are a couple of things that will crash the program. I can't remember exactly, but I believe the program would randomly close when I was adding events, similar to your problem. I just assumed that the real version of the software was more stable. I figured development and bug fixing on the demo version stopped a long time ago. When you create a new file, use the wizard to add the events. Not the tapper wizard, but for "how much time should be in between events", it should let you specify the value you want. As a side note, I created a blank sequence and was able to add 1000 events with no problem.

However, I have no memory problems with it. When I load my monstrous 88 channel 10.5 minute Disney piece, it only uses 18meg of memory. Did you reboot? Reinstall? Sounds like a quirky issue with windows. I also use version 1.4.0. Look up the Disney Medley on my site and see what memory useage you get. My guess is it should be the same.

I am very curious if it may be a problem with the sound file that you may be using. I would try different file possibly with different bitrate and see if you still get the same problem.

contactmike1 wrote:

Dan, I'll let you know if I find a way to reproduce a crash. It's rare, but I have had it happen a couple of times in the demo.

Thanks.... I do recall that there is a bug where if you delete the first event in a sequence it fails.

npdcrazypyro wrote:

Hi, I am brand new to this stuff, but I dowloaded the LOR demo program and it is extremely easy to use and everything, but there seems to be a memory leak or something of that sort. I have 1 gb of ram, but as soon as I open LOR and create a simple music project, the Windows Task Manager shows LOR is using around 82 megabytes of ram, which is a ton! And, when I was adding the lighting events, it went up to a whopping 320 mb of ram used (by LOR alone), until the program froze, and I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it to close it. It was a 1.5 minute song (really short) with 1000 events (The Tapper Wizard was hard to do, so I did edit->insert multiple events->1000.)

Well I just downloaded the DEMO and tried it out. Saw nothing like what you have described. So we need to understand what happed on your machine.

Can you tell me how many channels you have in the sequence?

For that matter, when you created the sequence what options did you choose... (like what was the setting for "How much time should be in between events?", number of channels.... )....

LightORama wrote:

Thanks.... I do recall that there is a bug where if you delete the first event in a sequence it fails.

Yeah, so do I. Took me forever to figure out what was going on. :)

Daniel wrote:

LightORama wrote:

Well I just downloaded the DEMO and tried it out.

A little off topic....
Why would the creator of Light-O-Rama need to download his own software?
--Daniel L

Good question: A couple of reasons....

1. I have the production version on the office PCs but not the demo-version. Actually some of the machines in the office that are used only for processing orders do not have any LOR software on them at all.

2. LOR software development is done in a state (other than the main LOR office where I work) so I do not have all the stuff on any of the machines here.

3. Wanted to make sure that I had the version the customer was talking about and the best way to do that was to download it from the same source.

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions so far and everything
I seem to have isolated the problem. Each time I press the play button to start playing my sequence, the amount of RAM usage goes up, I'm assuming that's because it's loading the MP3 file and playing it. However, when I press stop, the RAM usage does not go back down. So each time I press play, it just keeps adding and adding up...
I've tried four different mp3s now, so I know it's not a problem with one of them.

Also, ContactMike, I am unable to test your Disney one because it says i need "tbump2005.midi." The file opens and it uses about 17 mb of ram. However, I can't play it to see if the ram usage goes up like with the other ones.

Here's a video of it incase that was confusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwtfsqIRsck

Very odd, that sure looks like a memory leak. Possibly in the demo version. I have that same song and tried to recreate what you did and the most memory I could get it to pull was 22,868. And if I stopped the song and restarted it, it would just stay the same. If I totally stopped the bits went back down. If this isnt a memory leak in the demo version you may want to check to see if the memory in your computer isnt going out.

Just for kick and gigles I just tried the same test again on my laptop, only has a 1.7 celeron and 256 ram. So a little older but am getting nearly the same readings as on my desktop which is a 3.2 p4 1g ram.

As a software developer, I can tell you that this points towards a sick operating system and/or media player. You could try and reinstall windows media player from this link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx and then pull down any updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and see if that helps. If not, it may be time for a reinstall of Windows.

npdcrazypyro wrote:

Also, ContactMike, I am unable to test your Disney one because it says i need "tbump2005.midi." The file opens and it uses about 17 mb of ram. However, I can't play it to see if the ram usage goes up like with the other ones.

Sorry, I completely forgot you need the audio file. So, don't worry about it. If you're really curious, just point the file to any audio file and the piece will play. The lights just won't sync to the music, obviously.

And WOW, quite the impressive video! (Well, you probably don't think that.)

I'd have to second the other opinions here. I'd vote for a windows issue. I think we've established that the demo works, especially since dan installed a fresh copy and had no issues.

Well thank you all for all your help! I tried LOR on another computer, and it worked fine, so I just decided to reinstall windows on this computer (the one with the RAM problems). Now it works great, no ram problems. Besides, it was about time I reinstalled. Everything moves so much faster now! I have to say this is one of the best user support communities I've ever been to. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone experienced problems when using a midi audio file? I started building a sequence and was using the 'Visible Screen' play range, but when I play the entire sequence the timing is off.