Light-O-Rama Forums

Portable Radio that supports RDS

bhays

I am setting up my new EDM transmitter with RDS and I believe I have everything working correctly, but none of our vehicles have head units in them that support RDS. Can anyone recommend a cheap portable radio that supports RDS so I can use it for testing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brett

Hi Brett,

take a look at this eBay item:NEW Sangean PR-D5 Digital Tuning Portable Stereo Radio (#380180032968) I pick up one for $73.00 may not be Cheap. but it the only
portable radio that supports RDS . at this time :-)

Jerry

bhays wrote:

I am setting up my new EDM transmitter with RDS and I believe I have everything working correctly, but none of our vehicles have head units in them that support RDS. Can anyone recommend a cheap portable radio that supports RDS so I can use it for testing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brett

Thanks. I had run across those after I posted. It looks as though there are a couple of Samsung MP3 players and the latest IPOD Nano's that support RDS as well on their tuners.

The wife has been wanting an mp3 player for the gym so maybe I can score points while getting something I need for display purposes... never pulled that one off before.

Well, after quite a bit of research, this is the only cheapish product I found where several people verified that it worked in the USA w/ RDBS (seems a lot of products support the EU flavor of RDS but don't work in the US with our RDBS).

I ordered one from Buy.com who had the cheapest price at under $27 shipped. I will report back on my findings.

http://www.adstech.com/products/rdx-155-ef/intro/rdx-155-ef_intro.asp?pid=rdx-155-ef

I doubt I will be as pleased as she appears to be, but if it works, should be fine for verifying RDS is functioning on the transmitter.
RDX-155w.jpg