Light-O-Rama Forums

Running LOR on Linux installed on a USB memory stick?

Guest guest

First, my problem: I would like to be able to run LOR on my work computer so I can work on sequences during my lunch time. I am not able to install LOR on my work computer because I need administrative privledges to install it :{.

This leads me to the idea of installing LOR on my USB memory stick. In order to do this, the memory stick needs to have a bootable OS. Windows is too big to install, so this leads me to the question of whether or not I could install a basic version of Linux on the memory stick, provided, of course, that LOR would work on it. I do not know what software would be required but I am seeking help to find out if this is at all possible and what I may need. If not, I will just have to resort to surfing PC while I still can ;):tree:.

Glenn

Glenn,

I too use a memoery stick (thumb drive) and work at a military base with simular admin problems. Here is something I tried and worked.

I copied the whole LOR file onto the memory stick. I mean everything associated with LOR. Then I used the work computer to install the LOR file. It worked for me and hope this might be a work-around for you.

Tom

Granted,

I work under our sys admin, I dont really have any admin problems as I already have access. However I cant remember how big the LOR file is but you can install it and then run it off of your flash drive if it is not too big. I have several programs running off of my 1 GB flash drive. It is like my little digital briefcase, I carry my ftp client, notepad ++ and xammp on it. Granted everything is portable except for notepad ++. This may be a option for you.

I am not sure if you can run LOR directly without "installing" it. Your best option is to just get a cheap laptop and use it. You can also use this same laptop to run your show during Christmas.

neworder wrote:

I am not sure if you can run LOR directly without "installing" it. Your best option is to just get a cheap laptop and use it. You can also use this same laptop to run your show during Christmas.

It will have to be installed first before using it. Although neworder doesn't have a bad idea, just watch how cheap. A unit with a slow processor will run like a turtle when playing your sequence back and viewing animation and will stall, spit sputter and....well, you know. After all, that's half the fun, seeing it in motion before the lights go up. :] This surely helps me in seeing how the timing is and such. I use a laptop also but with a high speed processor and it makes all the difference in the world. A much cleaner presentation when seeing the animation and gives a truer view of what your show will actually look and act like.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

You can also take "remote control" of your home PC from your work PC browser during "lunch" by using software such as "go to my PC", or I really like www.logmein.com and use their free service. I do video editing as a side business/hobby and can start-up a long video rendering process from the browser on my work PC.

Yeah, if you can't install the LOR software on your work PC, then it does get messy to boot from a USB device, which I'm sure your admins wouldn't like either....

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried to install LOR on my USB 2.0 Flash Drive (memory stick) but my work PC would not allow the installation to proceed. I guess the program still needs to access some Windows files outside of the memory stick that are being restricted by the sys admin, so I am out of luck there.

I still would like to know if LOR can run on Linux though. I have a great laptop but I do not want to carry it to and from work just to work on LOR sequencing during lunch. Doing any kind of remote PC access is not an option as I do not want to leave my home PC on all the time nor depend on the network connection at work.

This brings me back to the point of wanting to create a bootable USB drive on my memory stick. I have a link to the Linux software to install on a USB memory stick, http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/, but am still not sure if LOR would work. As soon as I get the chance I will try it and post back, but I would like to know if anyone here has had any sucess with LOR running on Linux ahead of time.

Glenn

Glenn Koenig wrote:

This brings me back to the point of wanting to create a bootable USB drive on my memory stick. I have a link to the Linux software to install on a USB memory stick, http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/, but am still not sure if LOR would work. As soon as I get the chance I will try it and post back, but I would like to know if anyone here has had any sucess with LOR running on Linux ahead of time.

No, the software will not run under Linux. If you had a big enough USB drive, you actually can put Windows on it. You have to strip it down a little, but I've got a 2GB bootable drive with Windows on it.