Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Tree

shfr26

I have read the threads on mini's, but I have a few questions please,

32 inch cage, how many lights, 300? 400? or more?

My first one looks more like a pyramid rather than a tree, has anyone used two cages with the cage wires splitting the distance in half so it is rounder?

I am wrapping each string from top to bottom with about 15-20 turns per string so if part goes out should be coverage from the others strings to cover dead spot. Hope that makes sense. Right, wrong or is it one of those that everybody does different?

Thanks in advance, And yes Jeff, I'm still working on it.

shfr26 wrote:

My first one looks more like a pyramid rather than a tree, has anyone used two cages with the cage wires splitting the distance in half so it is rounder?

So did mine, so yes, I also used two cages so it looked rounder.

Best advice I can offer is too look at it in the dark with the mini tree lights on...

I tried straight up and down
I tried spiraling
Finally ended up just wrapping the tree by starting at the bottom and going around and around till I got to the top.

I used 560 lights...140 of each color (RGBW)

I started at the top so the lower lights will help hold the upper lights in place. At least that is what my feeble little brain thought.

shfr26 wrote:

I started at the top so the lower lights will help hold the upper lights in place. At least that is what my feeble little brain thought.

I put a tie wrap at the bottom, to hold it in place..then wrapped them pretty tight. I thought I would need more tie wraps going up, but didn't. The first string held all the other strings...but the second string I went the opposite way..then the third string the same way as the first and the fourth string the same way as the second...

EDIT: I also started each strand at a different one of the vertical rods of the cage.

Jeff Millard wrote:

But in addition to that, I wrapped mine with Chicken wire.

I like the chicken wire idea...

PS: ANOTHER new avatar!?!?! LOL

Jeff Millard wrote:

I do like the others and wire tie it at one end and wrap the lights tight then tie the other end.
J

Where are the lights? oh yeah, waiting on Paul's order to come to your steps.

Jeff Millard wrote:

I'm putting 400 minis on each. Split it up into 4 sections with a channel for each.

Side to side, or top to bottom?

Jeff Millard wrote:

I'm putting 400 minis on each. Split it up into 4 sections with a channel for each.

Sounds like a hybrid mini-tree in the making. Have you thought of a name for it yet?

George Simmons wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:

Sounds like a hybrid mini-tree in the making. Have you thought of a name for it yet?

The "Millard Magical Mini" :cool:

You all have to remember that Jeff works for PSEG, our electrical supplier. There is probably some bonus that he gets if he can drive up our energy consumption.

I did use blue leds for the first time and had to lower to intensity to 50% before I could tolerate

Jeff Millard wrote:

Pic 2

Jeff,

Do you connect the cut ribs together before putting on the chicken wire or use the chicken wire to hold it all together?

We made 8 42" minni's this year using the double frame concept and 800 lights each. The way you made your's with the chicken wire looks like so much less work.

-Phyllis

I made an ugly wooden turntable that holds the tomato cage frame upright. I use a couple of screws to hold the frame in place and I rotate it by hand. Not as elegant or mechanized as Garry's solution but better than nothing.

I'm real close to the street in front so I use 32" tomato cages (2 per tree) and only use 2 sets of clear mini 100's per tree. (That's in addition to a spiral of green rope light and a 50 ct set of red LED's.) I "fold over" and spiral wrap the first set of minis from top to bottom just anchoring the top and bottom. Then I do the same thing with a second set, running the wires in between those of the first set and then I go back and more securely anchor both sets Great coverage and plenty bright for the viewing distance.

On the 32" mini trees in my neighbor's yard I used a 50 ct set of cool white LED's and a 50 ct set of blue LED's (full wave) on each tree and with just those "few" lights on them they're plenty bright.

Thanks for all the advice. I went with two cages, no chicken wire, and 400 lights per tree, may increase later. I also did not cut any cages, just stuck them on top of each other and zip tied them together. Will see how it works, once again, thanks.