Light-O-Rama Forums

Trick to posting videos on YouTube II

Guest guest

To me if you have a home christmas display using legally owned software and you post with youtube with a link to where you can purchase the music would that not help advertise the music and help sales?

I know there has been a lot of debate about it and I for one do what I do for the kids to enjoy it. Posting it on youtube is a secondary byproduct that if they are going to continue to be a problem I will just quit using youtube entirely.

jimswinder wrote:

Not wanting to start another copyright debate here, but aren't we all really taking a risk by using the music in our shows since there are clearly no black and white answers?

I am certainly no export and it's been a long time since I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but here is my 2cents...

I don't think we are taking a risk with our shows provided we are not deriving a profit from it.

The Youtube issue is that anyone can capture the audio off of the video. That amounts to distributing copyrighted material. And I whole heatedly agree with Tim that altering the music to get around the detection devices that were installed to protect Youtube, could probably jam you up pretty good.

I guess the greatest potential for trouble would be in broadcasting the material that could, potentially, be recorded. However, any of the cases that I have read about has always been online sharing using P to P. I don't worry about it.

I actually go another route. I post on Vimeo which doesn't block. But in the description, I list the song, artist and CD telling the viewer where they can get a legal copy of the song. If nothing else, it makes me look like a good guy who isn't posting for the purpose of distribution. In a way, it's actually advertising for the artist.

Tim Fischer wrote:

Yeah that's the case with most music -- Google pays royalties and displays the pop-up (and sometimes other ads). But they don't have a deal with WMG, so their music is outright blocked. Since WMG is TSO's label, a lot of folks here were affected. Although more recently, I read that TSO's music will be allowed on YouTube now...

What you read is correct. I posted a TSO about a week ago and although it was initially blocked, I disputed it and it was allowed.

As much as youtube may have changed the web, I never thought it was a great place to display real videos, due to the issues there over the years with, quality, vide length, and now music. Heck lets admit allot of the video not put on the site by major companies are rally not all that good...

Copyright's and the web have allot of gray arrears right now. How many videos does youtube have of games? Are those even full legal? The content in side a game is Copyrighted and your displaying it on line.

Truly I think its a shame what the music industry is doing to it's self. There not embracing the new technologies and there getting hurt, and getting a bad. reputation.

I really give credit to the TV stations, which seam to be realizing how they can use new technologies, through sites like hulu to reach even newer ordinances. I know people that watch shows they would never be able to watch cause of there regularly scheduled time because they can now watch it on line.

The music on the other hand is trying to raze royalties, force on line radio stations like Pandora off line, limit how people can use music and more.

I am a big fan of pandora my self, I can personally say that I have fount bands on pandora, watched there videos on youtube and went out and bought there cds. Chancres are I would of never fount these bands any other way. I am not sure how its like where you guys live, but I have noticed radio stations play a small pice of the amount of music thats really out there.

Also audio ripping has basically always been around in one forum of another, but chancres are most people wont do it and most people don't know how (I know from my personal experience most people think its impossible to download a video from youtube). Also like iresq said if you even play videos on a good sounding system (even attached to a computer) you can tell the audio quality is not good.

It's been proven with Itunes and other systems people don't prefer illegal methods of getting music, movies and other content. People just want what they want for the easiest way possible. Make the legal methods harder and more restrictive and people will go back to illegal methods. At least there starting to do away with DRM.. what a counter intuitive system, hurt the really customers, help the pirates.... but lets not go down that road.

I mean if music companies even allowed people to pay a reasonable amount, lets say like 10$ a song per video on you tube, I bet people would go for. Chancres are I would put some of my videos on it then.

I just hope for the music industries own sake they wizen up before there left in the dark.

Ps if people are not buying your music, maybe its cause you not that good, there are a reason why bands like the Beetles are stile loved today :D

Hope I did not go on to much off topic looking over what I just typed up...

csf wrote:

through sites like hulu to reach even newer ordinances. I know people that watch shows they would never be able to watch cause of there regularly scheduled time because they can now watch it on line.

Even Hulu has decided to start charging for the most popular TV shows...

• 1 year later...