Light-O-Rama Forums

How Many Segments In An Arch?

jimswinder

I know there are a lot of posts about building an arch...but was wondering, what works best for sequencing?

An odd number of segments or an even amount?

Hey Jim, I see that you are in the Northwest. To answer your question. With arches, IMHO, it does not really matter how many segments, (which would determine if you had an odd number, or even). For the most part, you are not going to use them to highlight a beat, you are going to start and stop them on a beat.

Mine are 14 sections (2 10' 1-1/4" elec conduit mated) 7 sections per side. Mine work fine. So this may come down to personal preference, how big your arches are etc...

I guess there would be those that say you should keep them in increments of 4 to capture a 4/4 beat. That makes it even. I'd be interested in what others had to say as well.

I'm in the odd camp myself, and I prefer 7 segments/channels per arch. I like an odd number as that gives me one single center segment. I like to do arch effects from the center down and/or from the bottoms up and to me it looks goofy when you have two center segments. And even though the exact cadence of a beat means little to me, when working with a 4/4 having seven segments gives me the option for a moment of darkness between beats should I so desire to have it.

zman wrote:

Hey Jim, I see that you are in the Northwest.

Hey Mark...

Yep, in West Seattle. Wanted to make it out to Woodinville this year, but was in Florida for two weeks at Christmas and as we all know, it is hectic around the holidays, especially for this newbie!!

Have looked at your "How To's" quite often...

Was this supposed to be a "general" arch question, or related to the CCR since it was posted in the Cosmic Color Ribbon forum?

JBullard wrote:

Was this supposed to be a "general" arch question, or related to the CCR since it was posted in the Cosmic Color Ribbon forum?

My Bad John...general Arch question.