Light-O-Rama Forums

Where can I find empty weatherproof, hinged PVC junction box?

Guest guest

I am having a heck of a time trying to find a good sized PVC junction box that is just a little larger than the LOR Controller boxes.

I need one that is hinged and 11 inches long x 10 inches wide by 2 inches high(depth), can be 4 inches.

I have been doing searches both physically in my area to try and find one locally, seems Home Depot, Lowes and the local hardware stores have stopped carrying these type boxes. Just know in the past I could have found these boxes at ANY of these stores, now I can't find them anywhere, not in the size I need or want.

The box is to hold my LOR1602MP3 player and an Eclipse 4000 transmitter. The transmitter is the reason for the 10" span due to the cables come out both sides, as does the antenna. So I need enough room to unplug the audio cable, power cable or antenna cable in case I'd ever need to remove them while the unit is in use for replacement/repair of an audio cable, etc. I may be able to get by with a 9" wide case, possibly 8-1/2", but I think 8-1/2" would be a tight fit.

Any help on locating a good weatherproof PVC (I don't want a metal case) case in the size I need, a good price and where I can just buy one unit would be appreciated. I have found larger cases, but most of these sites want a purchase of 4 or more boxes and the prices are more than I want to pay, most I have been finding are starting at $50-$100!:shock:

I'm trying to stay within a price range of $10-$25.00 if at all possible. Was trying to avoid shipping charges by buying local, but that sure seems to be a wash-out currently.

Thanks in advance for the help or links where I can get what I need to house my equipment.

You could look at this box

http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/product.php?pid=706098

I'm not sure if they have a seal on the hinged door though,

This box is what i use, but you are right, they are not available for a reasonable cost any more

Attached files DS_NBP141004-100.pdf

Big discussion a while back about the seal and these boxes. The seal is a loose one but it is not air tight. But due to the way that the two edges make like a dovetail joint the water can not get past it and it drains out at the bottom. I think I have heard of ony one person who got water in their box. And that person placed the box right below the junction of where the roof formed a valley and the water came rushing down onto the box and forced it's way in pass the dovetail seal. But for normal down pours in the middle of the yard this was not a problem that anyone reported. This includes my 4 boxes. I got the Kepal 1500 I think it is, the 12 x 12 box.

Thanks M-P,

I was wondering about that Keptel box and water, I've used the other box on my controllers, but it's now like $40 dollars each plus shipping. Ouch. Thanks again,

Bill

Roger on the ouch!

Ya, kind of hard to beat 10 bucks.. And like I said they seem to work great with one little exception. Also there was a thread where someone put some kind of foam seal in the groove and found that it then leaked like a mother. Removed seal and tried same test and no water, so moral of story is do not modify the seal..

Glad to be of help..

Thanks. I'll look into those. Although I may also see if I can convince my uncle the electrician to possibly sell me one since I know he has to buy these things in bulk (I think). Maybe with a little luck he may have some used stuff lying around that maybe I could salvage from him, if at all possible. Just haven't been able to catch him at home to find out.

Again, thanks for the info and links. Definitely looking into them.

Check plumbing sections of Lowes, HD, etc. and go to a local Plumbing supply shop. what you want is a Sprinkler Timer Box for outdoor mounting. I put a timeclock in one for outside use. Other than the fact it got way to cold in winter for the timeclock device it never got wet in heavy downpours.

Nova5 wrote:

Check plumbing sections of Lowes, HD, etc. and go to a local Plumbing supply shop. what you want is a Sprinkler Timer Box for outdoor mounting. I put a timeclock in one for outside use. Other than the fact it got way to cold in winter for the timeclock device it never got wet in heavy downpours.

Thanks for the tip Nova5, I never thought about a sprinkler box! I guess I should have since I have one staring me in the face every time I get into my vehicle to go anywhere! But never even thought about that being in the "plumbing area". Always figured they'd be in the "electrical area" since they house electrical timers to control the sprinkler system.

Now I know what to ask for!

Thanks again!