Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Light Rule of 3

Bowshock

I understand that you shouldn't plug more than 3 strings of incan minis end to end, but there is one thing that confuses me. If someone has 3 strings of 50' 100 lights each plugged in together, why can't I plug 6 strings of my 25' 50ct strings together. Wouldn't they pull about the same amperage?

:P

Don't tear that mattress tag off either.... :shock:

Newer tags should say something about how much wattage or current can be plugged in end to end. Old tags just say (by law) three strings.

As long as those 50 count strings aren't unusually high power strings, you should be fine...

The three string rule normally applies only to 100-ct minis, unless otherwise stated. I have seen some commercial minis state up to 5 can be plugged in. Its a good rule of thumb and a starting place. If in doubt, read the safety label on the strings (you know the ones we all cutoff first).

Here's a question that always comes up. A strand of 100 minis takes .34 amps, so three strands would be roughly 1 amp, correct?. SO why is there a 3 amp fuse in the plug??? and 22g wire can handle somewhere around 5a.

I have pluged in a few more than 3 sets end to end...

my 2 cents.

In years past, with a static display, I always used the philosophy that the lights themselves would tell me when I had exceeded the limit by blowing a fuse. Then, all I'd do is unplug the last string I had connected, grab a couple new fuses (leaving 500 or so still in inventory) and be on my merry way.

Dan Ancona wrote:

Here's a question that always comes up. A strand of 100 minis takes .34 amps, so three strands would be roughly 1 amp, correct?. SO why is there a 3 amp fuse in the plug??? and 22g wire can handle somewhere around 5a.

I have pluged in a few more than 3 sets end to end...

my 2 cents.

Safety margin required for UL certification. I have violated this rule for years. One day, I will get the courage to cut off my mattress tags.