Light-O-Rama Forums

Donation Box

jcwarren

Scott Weaver, who runs a locally-famous static display in Rohnert Park, CA, has this donation box in front of his display:
bilde?Site=SR&Date=20071216&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=712160388&Ref=AR&Profile=1033&MaxW=600&border=0

As I recall, from when I visited the display with my father and nieces a few years ago, it may have mentioned his PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) bill, which was over $1,200 for December 2006. Since he adds stuff every year, and since electricity prices have gone up in California, it's probably higher now. His employment is from a local grocery store as a produce manager, so it's clear he doesn't really have the money to afford this hobby!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Linda

• George Simmons

• Scott T

• PaulXmas

I believe I'm the one whom reopen this can of worms. I was shocked to see anyone accepting money for something other than charity. The thread started with the question and I gave my opinion.

Now, I need help with building/buying a secured donation box to collect money for my charity. So if somebody has a suggestion about a "donation box design" please let me know.

Putting aside the moral, etc issues that have been raised for the moment, I am quite surprised no one has commented on the legal issues you may be embroiled with, if you accept money for your display, and you are using non royalty free music as part of your display, whether being played over speakers/transmitted over the radio.

Essentially any music that is being used as part of a display that raises funds (and requesting donations are considered under the umbrella of fund raising) must either be royalty free, or royalties must be paid for any music you don't own the distribution rights to.

This is not a state specific issue, but feel free to check with a lawyer who deals in copyright issues if you doubt this.

I went through quite a legal education when I produced the Holiday Lights DVD series.

Can you fund raise and get away without being "caught"? More than likely, but if it were to be recognized, you would have a significant, and very expensive problem to deal with.

I would really hate to see anyone in our decorating community wind up having to deal with this!

Greg

cat fight cat fight. to each his own. I have thought of it myself but didn't do it. I have had people ask many times to give me money. I have told them all no but I got a few while working in the garage on a display item that just walked up, gave me a hug and put 10 on the work bench. I tried to give it back but they walked off. What do you do with that, burn it. Whats to say the same about sequences. Should you charge for a sequence. Since we are in the spirit of giving. Or getting into the news and say look at me. Don't get me started on fines or laws. Everyone here would be over the legal limit of the radio broadcast power setting. So I guess we all are bad people.

If you want to do it do it. If not don't. You have to live with the decisions you make.

friskybri wrote:

cat fight cat fight. to each his own. I have thought of it myself but didn't do it. I have had people ask many times to give me money. I have told them all no but I got a few while working in the garage on a display item that just walked up, gave me a hug and put 10 on the work bench. I tried to give it back but they walked off. What do you do with that, burn it. Whats to say the same about sequences. Should you charge for a sequence. Since we are in the spirit of giving. Or getting into the news and say look at me. Don't get me started on fines or laws. Everyone here would be over the legal limit of the radio broadcast power setting. So I guess we all are bad people.

If you want to do it do it. If not don't. You have to live with the decisions you make.

I don't see where folks expressing difference in views is cat fighting. :?
Everyone has the right to express their opinions on open forum, as long as they maintain some sense of propriety. People are, and should continue to be, free to disagree.

As to the "fines/laws", this post is in the newbie section. I am quite sure many here are reasonably new and can benefit from the knowledge from those of us who have been around a while, and have experience in areas they do not. I don't post much, unless I feel there is something I can add, which in this case I felt there was.

Informing folks of potential issues they can avoid is, at least in my mind, is doing them a favor, which was the sole intent of my post. It is up to the folks reading this post to decide what they will/won't do with that knowledge.

Sorry if my post was interpreted in any other way than what it was intended.

Greg

I use a lockable square mailbox that is bolted to the side of my brick mailbox. ALL money is for a local pet shelter and I have a sign stating that by the box. I also have a light on it during the show along with a video camera for security. After the show every night I empty it and put all the money in a charity box that the shelter gove me. Then after the season I drop it off to the shelter. It's usually a couple hundred dollars.

I never have taken money for my show. If I can't afford to do it, then I won't.

Just wondering...one person said their sign says "All proceeds will go towards (insert charity name here)"

Now, do they really mean all donated money will go towards the charity, or a portion will go towards the charity, or only the true proceeds, which would be after the electric bill, lights, extension cords, LOR units, blowmolds, zip ties, etc, etc have been paid for?

I don't know how others do it. Nor do I know if you're referring to my remarks, since I don't have any sign for the donation box. But I donate all proceeds to our local food shelf. When I say in my show announcements and on my information handouts that every penny received is donated that's exactly what I mean.

Great idea with the food shelf George. When I was growing up it would have been pretty tough without our local food pantry. We had a large family. Thanks for your donations!!

We don't accept donations for our display, or do we ask for them. We like others would like to offset the costs, as California electricity is very expensive, among other things here, If we can't afford to did it we usually plan for it.

One consideration we have had in the past; was to seek out companies to sponsor the display with either cash, supplies, or services donated from like a electrician or hardware store. I have no idea of the legalities with this is, but it was a consideration at one time, and still might be in the future.

Another option is to sell your services in the holiday illumination field, I'm not talking about hanging lights for your neighbor either, if your good enough, big money is available from corporations, as they usually plan and budget for the holidays, just be ready to sit in a board room and sell your bottom side off!

Hope this helps

Linda wrote:

I said I could have paid all my credit cards off with what I've spent.
Then you could by more controllers and extention cords and lights and ....

PaulXmas wrote:

Linda wrote:

:DOF COURSE!!!:P

As a matter of fact I just bought three more controllers, but I'm paying cash for those. Couldn't pass up the chance at 130.00 each which included the shipping!

Todd L wrote:

... find a sponsor for your show.

We do that, too. Except the sponsors don't pay for the show. We solicit sponsors to chip in a hundred bucks each to match funds with what the public donates to the food shelf. Works well and the sponsors get a few name mentions each night to a captive audience who aren't going to be changing the channel.

Linda wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:
Linda wrote:

:DOF COURSE!!!:P

As a matter of fact I just bought three more controllers, but I'm paying cash for those. Couldn't pass up the chance at 130.00 each which included the shipping!

WOW what a steal...er I mean deal!

OK, what if I'm planing to do both?

this is my first year with LOR, but I do have a display of blowmolds and light sculptures. I'm planing on making 2 wooden mailboxes, smaller versions of the ones you would find on a city sidewalk. One of them will be for donations to the freedom alliance (scholarships for children of fallen solders) The other for letters to Santa. So, this puts me in the altruistic camp of collecting for charity.

However, I am working on getting a couple sponsors who's commercials will rotate on the FM transmitter in between songs. The money from the sponsors will be used for expanding and repairing the display. The time, electricity, and physical labor are all me.

I guess I have one foot in the greedy sob camp and one in the altruistic camp :(

If you're going to do something, then jump with both feet: altruistic camp.

You will not be able to sleep at night if you see on the news that children of fallen solders are having a hard time paying for college.

Jim Saul wrote:

However, I am working on getting a couple sponsors who's commercials will rotate on the FM transmitter in between songs. The money from the sponsors will be used for expanding and repairing the display.

Be sure you seek legal advice on doing this.

1. Your transmitter could be classified as a commercial venture rather then as a hobby.

2. By selling commercial air time, RIAA may sue to demand royalties be paid for the music in your show. Performance licensing may be have to paid also.

3. Your local governing body could view your display as a for profit venture, and require permits and that all wiring meets all local codes. As well as a business license and additional liability insurance

4. Some potential sponsors (the smart ones) may require a "hold harmless from liability" clause or to be named as additional insureds on your insurance liability policy in case anyone is injured at your display.

5. May violate a clause in the liability portion of your homeowners insurance policy, rendering your coverage void.

Just some things to consider that may come into play by accepting money for your display from the public or business sponsors.

Please seek legal advice approriate to your jurisdiction.

Personally, I will never have sponsors for my display due to several of the above reasons.

(BTW - I have spent the last 30 years in the property and casualty insurance business, and have seen many homeowner insurance policies declared void and claims denied due to a "business" being operated on the premises.)

Please seek legal advice before doing this.

JBullard wrote:

Jim Saul wrote:

However, I am working on getting a couple sponsors who's commercials will rotate on the FM transmitter in between songs. The money from the sponsors will be used for expanding and repairing the display.

Be sure you seek legal advice on doing this.

1. Your transmitter could be classified as a commercial venture rather then as a hobby.

2. By selling commercial air time, RIAA may sue to demand royalties be paid for the music in your show. Performance licensing may be have to paid also.

3. Your local governing body could view your display as a for profit venture, and require permits and that all wiring meets all local codes. As well as a business license and additional liability insurance

4. Some potential sponsors (the smart ones) may require a "hold harmless from liability" clause or to be named as additional insureds on your insurance liability policy in case anyone is injured at your display.

5. May violate a clause in the liability portion of your homeowners insurance policy, rendering your coverage void.

Just some things to consider that may come into play by accepting money for your display from the public or business sponsors.

Please seek legal advice approriate to your jurisdiction.

Personally, I will never have sponsors for my display due to several of the above reasons.

(BTW - I have spent the last 30 years in the property and casualty insurance business, and have seen many homeowner insurance policies declared void and claims denied due to a "business" being operated on the premises.)

Please seek legal advice before doing this.

John is 1000% correct!!! Before you do anything like this, contact a reputable lawyer!
The last thing anyone should do is to accept $$ for advertisements on a part 15 device that is broadcasting music that is not royalty free. That crosses way over the line and opens you up to having to pay licensing fees, and significant fines. If you want to accept $$ for your display, that is certainly your decision, but I would strongly encourage you to not do it in this fashion!
Greg