Light-O-Rama Forums

Encrypt or Lock Sequences?

gaines

Is there any way to encrypt or somehow lock a sequence so it can't be edited or copied off of the director card? I'm working on a business venture and I'd like to structure it so I retain the rights to the sequences and get paid for the use of them, however I'm uncomfortable with just trusting that they wont copy/edit the sequences themselves to avoid royalties.

Thanks,
Gaines

While they may be able to duplicate the card, there is currently no ability to edit the sequences or schedule given the card, and currently no way to recover the sequence file given the contents of the card. So at least it is not wide open for what they can do with the contents from one of those cards.

Not so...

if another person were to buy a copy of the LOR sequencer software, they could very easily load the sequence off of the SD card into the software without any trouble. Just make sure that your end users know that what they are recieving is for their own use and may not be copied or redistributed without permission.

Someone asked LOR if they could recover their sequences off the SD card because their hard drive crashed. I'm pretty sure LOR's response was that they had no way to do it.

When moving the XML files from your computer to the SD card, the LAS/LMS files are converted to binary format. This is probably done to make sure the speed of the data is not compromised.

Yes, Dan did post this some time back.

That file is not a standard sequence file (LOR1 or S2). The demo version of S2 I have hear at work will not even show the file in the list of valid sequence files to open.

Given enough knowledge and hours of time to kill someone might be able to extract the sequence data out of the file. But I highly doubt it would be someone who is purchasing their sequences.