Light-O-Rama Forums

Lowes electrical cable sale

ainsworth

I don't know if it is a local sale or if all Lowes are doing it. I was down at our Lowes today and happened to notice 500 ft spools of 12/2 spt3 on clearance sale for $26.28 each. I bought all they had :).

Our local Lowes did this with their SPT-2 a couple weeks ago but I missed out. I asked a women stocking the shelves about the low price and she said they changed suppliers so the old stuff had to go.

-Jeff

Sorry for some newbie questions on this, but I am new to learning about SPT cord, and am considering use for at least arches for 2010. I know that the difference between SPT1 and SPT2 is insulation thickness, but what is different about SPT3? Can C9 sockets be used with SPT3 too, or just plugs. And I know that you have to use sockets/plugs that match the type of wire (SPT1 plugs with SPT1 wire). But are these specific types of wire all manufactured to the same size, and will plugs from one manufacturer fit well with wire from a different manufacturer? For example, will SPT2 wire from Lowes always work with SPT2 sockets/plugs from XYZ company? Or have people had problems with mismatch? Would be nice to buy the wire from Lowes if available on sale since this will save on shipping if buying it cheaper online. But I don't think Lowe's sells the sockets/plugs to match. If it will always match regardless of where bought from, then it is probably worth looking at my Lowe's this weekend.

Can anybody comment on this? And how does this price above for 500ft of SPT3 compare to what would be found elsewhere? What's a good price on 500ft of SPT1 and SPT2 (ballpark at least, so I know a good price when I go to Lowes)? Thanks for the help!