Light-O-Rama Forums

building a donation box

bwaldrep

As many others do, I want to collect donations for a charity next year. This summer I need to build some type of SECURE donation box. So I wanted to get some idea's on what to use to build, and secure a box.

I had thought about digging a hole, poring in some concrete with an eye bolt in it below the grass, with a trap door to access it, allowing for a chain/lock to be connected to whatever I build, but I'm still brain storming. I was hoping others could toss out some thoughts.

My plan is to empty the box nightly during the show, so it will only hold money for 5 or so hours a night.

Although I haven't looked into it, I think they make lock boxes for mailboxes to secure mail, maybe something like that will work, depending on cost.

Just an idea here but when thinking about making you may want to think about making it removable. I have not had any problems with anyone messing with my display in 3 years and this year i woke up one monday morning and looked outside and my donation box was missing. Box and stake they took it all. I had it mounted in the ground about 2 or so feet. There was not a foot track around it so i know they had to pull it out with a truck. So now i bought a steel pole base at lowes and it slides into a sleave in the ground and i removed it every night so that way i dont have to worry about someone taking it. Also now i dont have to empty it when its freezing out and the look is frozen. Just bring it in and it thaws out and then opens just fine. Just a thought.

We built our own donation box from a lock box. Cut out the drop slot, painted it red and then on the inside place a small set of battery operated lights to illuminate the slot. Worked well for us. Mounted the box to the post using lags through the back of the box.

Attached files 196053=10987-IMG_1592_resize.JPG

I wondered about this too before I built mine. Mine basically is a 4x4 post with a 3/4 inch Plywood backing and a Lock box from Staples. The Lock box was $16.00 on sale and I empty it every night at the end of the show.
It's bolted to the ground by a 3 foot spike that you can buy from any Hardware store for Fence posts. The 4x4 post is then bolted to that and so far so good the results have been pretty awesome!

I'll try and take some pictures of it later in the week.

-Evan

This is a Candy Cain Donation Box I made that connects to a fence T-post. This makes it easy for cars to donate and is fairly hard to steal.

Attached files 196359=10999-Setup Donation2.jpg