Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter

Bruce Kryfka

This season is almost over so now I start thinking about next year. I am going to purchase a FM transmitter for my display next year and not really sure what to go for. I know a lot of members are using FM transmitters for there display and need some input of what is good and what to look out for.

I've heard good reveiews on the EDM transmitters, though there would be some work in getting it ready to go. Personally, I would look seriously at the Ramsey FM100B and also the antenna they have for it. I've used mine for three seasons now and it's worked flawlessly, even down below zero a number of days.

-Gary-

Bruce, see what you are planning to do with a FM transmitter.

#1 EDM RDS transmitter this will allow you to add text data to your transmission like the big stations, with some set up, at times there is a group buy this is posted hear or on PC

#2 RAMSEY ELECTRONICS FM25B, FM30B or the FM100B

#3 Whole House FM Transmitter, I have not use this one

for Years I use the FM25B then last year, I got the EDM transmitter the sound is mush better then the FM25B next year set up I will be using the EDM RDS transmitter. also look into the ZaraRadio is a free radio automation system for the after the Show broadcast

From what I've read on her the past couple of years, it looks like the EDM's, the Ramsey's, and the mobile black boxes seem to be the most widely used transmitters.

There have been a few people satisfied with the whole house transmitter but that has been after they have made some modifications to the unit or the antenna.

I use a Ramsey FM100B that I built a couple of years ago and I love it. The sound is very clean and comparable to a professional station. I also prefer the aesthetics of it versus the module type transmitters, not to mention the range I get out of it.

I started out with the FM25B and the sound was almost as good as the FM100B but the range just wasn't there for me. Someone posted a comparison of a FM25B and an EDM transmitter, if you happen to run across that, keep in mind that the FM25B that they were using was either soldered incorrectly or had a bad power supply. They really aren't supposed to hum like that. :-)

You can save money by building them yourself if you're into that sort of thing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I will put a plug in for the EDM (EDM-LCD-RDS-EP). Literally took just minutes to set up. I only used the test antenna wire (as-is; no adjusting antenna length) that is included and transmitted from inside my garage and got crystal clear transmission for a several hundred yards (fair signal for nearly 1/2 mile). And that is on its low power setting. I am sure if I adjusted the antenna length to match my frequency, made sure it was straightened out nicely, or made a cheap antenna, I would get very clear transmission for much farther (as others have), but don't need it. Dennis Cherry on this and PC forum sells a very good antenna inexpensively for this supposedly.
EDM seems to offer very good support, and usually very quick to answer any questions. Have read here or on PC that somebody quickly got theirs fixed by shipping to somewhere in California. They have a good yahoo group dedicated to EDM that you can subscribe to. Feel free to ask any additional questions, and I will try to answer.

I got mine through a group buy this past October (10% off). There is usually a few per year, but tend to be in the fall and are usually organized by an interested individual on either forum.

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

I have used Belkin, Chinese, Ramsey 25b, and currently EDM LCD.

The EDM has the best sound by far from anything I have used in the past.

YMMV.

This is my first year and I got the Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000. Now this unit does not have the adjustable power like the V6000. But the 4000 is stero where as the V6000 is mono transmit. I have not heard the audio of the EDM nor does the MBB do RDS were you have text on a radio that is built for text display. But then too the MBB is not several hundred dollars either. I would say for just over 100 bucks, the MBB radios are a good deal and you do not have to assemble anything. Unlike the Ramsey kits and the two joints that need to be soldiered on the EDM. But then too, soldering is not a bad skill to learn.

By profession I am a Radio Engineer and for my hobby I do the LOR, one thing I must say about FM Transmitting of your display is there are rules and regulations from the FCC on part 15 (unlicensed broadcasting).

I know many of you know the R&R's and this is for the ones who don't

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/lowpwr.html

if you want to ask the broadcast professionals a question about unlicensed broadcasting and what kind of equipment to use go to this website, very nice people and very informative. and yes the people who answer the questions on the LOR support site are very informative too, but hobbybroadcaster.net is the next best thing to Part 15 AM/FM transmitting as we are to Synchronized Holiday Lights :)

http://hobbybroadcaster.net/

I attached a picture of my FM transmitter + CCR controller this unit is located on the 2nd floor deck of my house and I can cover about 2 blocks.

One thing I have learned is "It's not the power, It's the tower" height is everything

Attached files 194874=10878-100_5448.JPG

I know there are a lot of us that may accidentally exceed Part 15 rules, but there was a poster on PC (can't find the thread, it might have been here?) that actually had a visit from the men in black vans.

He said they were nice enough but made him stop broadcasting.

That would be interesting to find. I wonder how far he exceeded the limits, and what exactly he stepped on to warrant the visit.

I'd almost guess it was dirty transmitter generating harmonics stepping on FAA ground control frequencies. I can confirm that even a Ramsey FM100 does put out harmonics. Not necessarily at a level that would be an issue at 25mW, but at a level that could be an issue if amplified to 1W...

iresq wrote:

I know there are a lot of us that may accidentally exceed Part 15 rules, but there was a poster on PC (can't find the thread, it might have been here?) that actually had a visit from the men in black vans.

He said they were nice enough but made him stop broadcasting.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=35734

There is also another post on PC ( I believe) from a guy in OK that had the men in black show up and the confiscated his computer and other equipment. Last time I saw the post he was still trying to get his computer back.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Kryfka wrote:

The MBB V6000 is on sale for 100.00. I guess I found my transmitter.

Though it has been mentioned before, just wanted to make sure you knew that the V6000 only transmits mono sound, and not stereo, unlike the 4000 (for $30 more). This matters to some.

http://www.mobileblackbox.com/content/view/19/34/

I used the Whole House FM Trans and I cannot recommend the unit because of the large amounts of static. I tried every frequency available, tried AA batteries, and I still get a ton of static, even with my radio 15 feet away!

I plan on getting a new transmitter!

I bought the EDM LCD in the group buy last year and absolutely love it, it had very clear static free sound, and that was with the supplied test antenna. They are a little pricey, but I feel it was worth the $$.