Light-O-Rama Forums

So how was your Christmas Eve Trafffic?

bhays

It was sad for christmas eve. It rained all day and had to shut down the display. Disney night had to be cancelled. There were a few cars out in the rain waiting. I had to go tell them the bad news. They understood and came back on the 27th for disney.

I've been reading about all of ya'lls problems with the snow and ice.It makes all my problems seem small. I live in Florida, we had some rain and some wind ...BIG DEAL You guy's are die hard!!! Ya'll no dought have my respect, That's just my opinion.

Thanks Chris:
We are a little different animal up this way dealing with the cold and all. But it takes a different one to also deal with the heat and humidity you guys south put up with. I guess if you grew up in it there is nothing to really get used to they tell me. I know while it might be easier on the fingers when it comes to making the repairs we've been dealing with the past few days, I would have a tough time getting used to putting up lights and sweating while I was doing it ;o) We come down in January to visit my Sister in Law in Orlando and she is trying to get us to make the trip during the season one year just to see the lights alone. With a display here it would be tough, plus I honestly don't know how I would handle a 75-80 degree Christmas. Just like you guys are in awe with our snow and at first think it's neat. Once you deal with a nasty winter storm it can get old. It probably would be the same for me. The weather might be nice at first, but after awhile I would miss the snow on the ground. I guess that is why they give us different climates in this world, so we can kind of pick where we want to live.

Lenny

Hi Lenny,

I was born and raised in upstate NY and moved to San Antonio, TX (courtesy of Uncle Sam) in 1973. You think you'd have a tough time getting used to putting lights up and sweating? Ha! You are cuckoo... drinking too much of that Wisconsin cool aid I'll bet... The answer is: about two seconds. That's how long it would take you to get used to putting lights up without freezing your fingers or your arse and then laying back and cooking a steak on the grill on Christmas Eve. Two seconds... maybe even less... Yes, you might ultimately miss the snow and bitter cold, but that wouldn't happen for years. And then when you move back to Wisconsin, you'll find that what you really miss is the warm climate you were so foolish to have left...

George:
Probably true to an extent. I'm just not a warm climate type of guy. There is one thing I do hate about living here. It's tough to get warm weather without having the humidity as well. It's easy to see 80 but too many days of it and warmer beyond that mark usually means it has to get muggy also. As they always say "it aint the heat, it's the garsh darn humidity!" People have said if you like 75 degrees move to San Diego. But living where we do we don't have to worry about sliding into the Pacific Ocean at any given moment. I'm not that good of swimmer ;o) What did you end up with for snow BTW?

Lenny

Lenny,

We wound up with about 9 inches and then the rain compressed that down to probably six. Nothing even close to what the lying weather forecasters promised.:X

Do you want a traffic count or an honest count.

If I had a counter I would have seen 50 cars a day pass by the display, but an honest count where people actually stopped to view the show, I would say around 3 to 5 cars per day stopped and watched the show.

Christmas eve saw about 100 cars go pass the house but only a 35 actually stopped. The same on Christmas day.

Someone has a counter and it said 900 cars went past their house, can you tell me how many of the 900 actually stopped and watched?

Just curious.

Well, I for one live on a court, so if you don't live there you must be coming to either see the display or visiting someone else that does live there. So if I say 200+ cars that would be looking out and seeing 10-15 cars parked watching just about all of the times I looked out. The past couple of nights when I do look out I have 2-4 cars. Most hang for 2 or 3 songs and with 5-1/2 hours of show time that figures to about 75 for the night roughly. In watching, I think at my location about 1 in 5 donate and average of $2 or $3 which should mean I would have 30-45 dollars in the box. I had $25 actually last night so I figure I had between 50 and that first figure of 75 cars.
I don't think I would put a counter out. I'm getting a good enough feel for what people think by: seeing cars out front watching, seeing some sit and watch for quite a long time, and having a fair amount in the donation box. With a 30 song show I also have printed song lists next to the donation box and I can get some idea from how many of those I burn through. The one thing that sceuwed it though was all of the rain we had. People donate in bunches, when one goes up others follow. I know a lot more watched than donated because of the rain. They didn't want to get out of the car as it was miserable. I had neighbors comment I had cars up and down the street both Thursday and Friday night but only $20-$25 a night in the box. I think they'll will make their way back between now and Sunday, if not just to see it in better elements.
George, Probably a GOOD thing you didn't get what they had predicted for snow. You would still be shoveling !!

Lenny

Having grown up in southern Arizona and having now lived in Southern Utah for over 20 years I would have a hard time moving back into to the warmer country. However last night as I shoveled snow I had a thought. If I was still in Mesa Arizona I would not be shoveling snow.

My wife thinks the only true Christmas is if the snow fly's on Christmas. I grew up with riding four wheelers and grilling steaks on Christmas day in shorts. I do miss those days.

Even with all of our cold weather and multiple snow storms dumping over a foot of snow each time the traffic kept up right until Christmas. I have added a virtual Santa this year and for many people they had never seen anything like and they would watch for some time trying to figure out if the virtual santa was real or not. The kids really got a kick out of it.

Maybe some day I will turn into a snowbird as we called them in Arizona. They lived in the north in the summers and lived in Arizona in the winters.