Light-O-Rama Forums

I wish I had this installed!

DrNiceGuy

Hello, All:

If you were to build a new home and had the opportunity to add / install any practical display features / options to your home, what would you do?

For example, I might install a roof anchor or add roof access from the inside attic of the house. I've never seen this feature, can this even be done?

Also, I would add a GFI outlet on its own circuit under each window on the front of the house. And more in the garage!

Your ideas?

-Roy

On the fall anchors, the one at the bottom of this page looks kind of nice:

http://www.westernsafety.com/amranchr.html

There are other ones that are as simple as a stainless strap that runs under the ridge course, with a stainless D ring on either side, with the strap securely nailed to the ridge beam, and rafters to either side.

The roof access is a good idea, if your roof makes sense from a decorating perspective. Ours really doesn't. I'd add to the idea a number of circuits in the attic, space to mount the controllers, and a dogie door, or similar to make a weather resistant penetration for the SPT2 channel cords.

Similarly, I would add outdoor closets on either side of the house, each with its own sub panel, and lots of circuits, plus lots of fire resistant surface area to install controllers on. Plus the dogie door, or similar to pass the channel cords out into the yard. Add smoke alarms in the ceiling, good lighting, and good weather seal, so dehumidification products can be used to keep everything dry when the cords are not installed.

Also add a few cat 5 runs between where I expect the show PC might be, and all three controller locations...

Maybe sneak a couple of conduits in between the closets, and the parkway strips. Here, you are not supposed to install anything more than sprinklers out there, and not decorate them, but I could see wanting some small spot lights there to light up signs in the yard.

We just finished building our house last march and this is the list of add ons that I did:

- Extra cat 5 runs in the structured wiring plan. Include at least 2 to the outside and 2 to the garage for your RS485 network. Why I say 2 is because I have controllers in the garage and the yard, so I run from the den to the outside through 3 controllers and then back into the den and patched through to the structured wiring cabinet in the utility room and from there patched through to the garage. Sounds busy, but it really isn't if you draw a little picture and I did allot of drawing while in the design process.

- Fall arrest anchors 3 on the house and 2 on the attached garage.

- Wire and cable ports, these are 3 inch through wall abs ports that allow you to bring cables out or into the garage. One up close to the eaves and one under the front porch out of site.

- Power under the front porch, under the eaves and around the front 3 sides of the house.

- Minimum 200 amp service, I am 100% LED so 200 amps is plenty for my needs.

- 4" pipe under the driveway and sidewalks, I have a port from the garage under the sidewalk and it comes up in the flower garden with 2 90 degree fittings so the opening faces back at the ground, that way no water and snow infiltration.

I can't think of anything else we did or should have done, but I sure I missed something. Hope this helps

Merry Christmas
Daryl B.

I wasn't thinking but, when we had our roof done 4 years ago I should had roof anchors installed for such future things for the roof. But other than that... I think I've got everything else I need expect a money tree and the Winning lottery numbers for the next 10 draws.... :)

Merry Christmas
-Evan

I agree with Jeff, when you think you have enough conduit, double it...

I have 4 going across my drive, and wish I had more.

I always thought it would be cool to install 4 circuit home runs to each corner of the house, and to each window. Problem is, how to explain it to the inspector, and get it to pass when they see a mountain of wires just terminated in some corner of the basement until you add all the controller boards.

How about a hidden room on the outside some where to house all the controllers.

Don't forget to install a control wire to each recep in the house, for the future house controller.

-Don't forget to install a double wide horseshoe driveway so cars can drive threw your display.

-4 and 3/4 car garage

- steps into a storage area in garage

- I would install 1" conduit from a central area to key points to the exterior terminated with a 4 gang junction box at each location. soffets, windows, eves, etc...

- conduit runs to every tree on property as you plant them

On a side note: I just worked on a jobsite where they ran close to 300 1" conduit from electrical room to the outside pump areas. They use to use rigid, but now this co. is using 1" flexable pvc. Pretty neat stuff, looks like poly water line.

I have actually been adding conduit into my yard with electrical power. Now I am thinking about running ethernet to various points in my yard as well.

The other thing I wish I had was a solar room in my yard with 360 degree glass walls and heat inside the viewing area.

Ha, so many ideas and never enough time or money.

toddmoon wrote:

Ha, so many ideas and never enough time or money.

Usually, it's money, with money, you can make time...and buy lots of lights

Thanks Everyone!

Some great ideas. I will be incorporating some of them into the new house...

Keep them coming!

-Roy

Another item that I forgot in the last post was a conduit from the Utility room in the basement up to the attic space. This was originally intended for solar panel installation, but we all know its for the rs485 network. My intention is to run the cat 5 through a roof vent that way I don't introduce any potential leak areas.